Senate ethics office resumes investigation of former Tory senator

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Senate ethics office has resumed its investigation into the conduct of the the Honourable Senator Don Meredith. Senator Meredith was appointed in 2010 on the advice of the Right Hon. Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., but was expelled from the Conservative caucus last year, when he was accused of having a sexually-inappropriate relationship with a 16-year-old.

The Senate ethics office had suspended its work when the Royal Canadian Mounted Police had become involved, so as to avoid interference with an ongoing police investigation. The RCMP have since stopped their investigation into the former Conservative senator.

The investigation was prompted when the Honourable Senator Leo Housakos (Wellington, Québec), then the Speaker of the Senate, asked the Senate ethics office to investigate Senator Meredith's conduct, believing that the rumours of the senator's conduct, if substantiated, constituted conduct unbecoming a senator. Lyse Ricard, Senate ethics officer, is also conducting a second investigation into Senator Meredith for workplace harassment with Senate employees.

Senator Meredith is only one of a number of Conservative and former Conservative senators, appointed on Mr. Harper's advice during his time as prime minister, who have been investigated for inappropriate conduct, including for claiming ineligible expenses payments.

Source: Senator Meredith's alleged relationship with teen back under ethics review

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Is there a means of sexually appropriate relationship with a sixteen year old?
Presumably the RCMP did not find anything to charge the senator with or we would have heard the gloating from the libs by now so why is the senate pursuing their witch hunt?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Is there a means of sexually appropriate relationship with a sixteen year old?
Presumably the RCMP did not find anything to charge the senator with or we would have heard the gloating from the libs by now so why is the senate pursuing their witch hunt?

Surely, the standards of behaviour for one of our honourable senators should be just a bit higher than "whatever is not a criminal offence," should they not? The Senate ethics office started its investigation at the request of a Conservative Speaker of the Senate, in the context of a Senate with a Conservative majority, so I very much doubt that the Liberals are pulling strings.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Surely, the standards of behaviour for one of our honourable senators should be just a bit higher than "whatever is not a criminal offence," should they not?
Yes they should. But that should also apply to sitting MP's. But that wouldn't be good for at least one of JT's MP's, would it?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Surely, the standards of behaviour for one of our honourable senators should be just a bit higher than "whatever is not a criminal offence," should they not? The Senate ethics office started its investigation at the request of a Conservative Speaker of the Senate, in the context of a Senate with a Conservative majority, so I very much doubt that the Liberals are pulling strings.

What age would the girl have to be for the relationship to be deemed appropriate?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
MacAulay.

But what's wrong with being forced to resign over ethics violations, eh?

...you're referring to a resignation as solicitor general, fourteen years ago, wherein there were conflict of interest concerns respecting his advocacy for a funding grant for Holland College? Wherein he encouraged the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to consider a grant for Holland College to develop a web-based training portal for police officers? That conflict of interest?

The Hon. Lawrence MacAuley, P.C., M.P., resigned as the solicitor general, out of an abundance of caution that his relationship with the college president could have created the perception of a conflict, while the fact of the matter is that the minister had no authority to direct the national police force. The accusations of a conflict were not substantiated. The qualifications of Mr. MacAuley to serve as the minister of agriculture and agri-food are not disputed.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How'd I know you were going to tell me some unethical behaviour is less unethical than other unethical behaviour?

I really should start posting my predictions somewhere, so I can share my laughs with others.

Surely, the standards of behaviour for one of our honourable senators should be just a bit higher than "whatever is not a criminal offence," should they not?
According to you, only if they're conservatives, lol.

Animal Farm is a great story, not something I want to live.