Fast and furious: Canada's economy skidding from top of G7 to bottom

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Oil subsidies and free trade.

Fast and furious: Canada's economy skidding from top of G7 to bottom

It’s amazing how fast you can go from first to worst, hero to zero, bruiser to loser.

Or, in this case, from G1 to G7.

Remember how well Canada emerged from the financial crisis and Great Recession? Indeed, it led the Group of Seven industrialized nations two years ago, before the collapse in oil prices.

Now, according to the latest forecasts from Bank of Nova Scotia, it is set to trail the Group of Seven industrialized nations in economic growth this year.

“We came out of the last recession faster and stronger, but that has waned,” said Scotiabank deputy chief economist Aron Gampel.

Scotiabank projects Canada’s economy will expand by just 1.1 per cent this year, in line with some other forecasts that differ only slightly.

That will be at the bottom end of the G7 countries, the bank said, calling for economic growth of 2.2 per cent in the United States, 2 per cent in Britain, 1.8 per cent in Germany and 1.3 per cent in France.

Of course, Canada’s performance is one of a regional divide amid the hit to the oil provinces.

Ontario, Manitoba, British Columbia and Quebec are “actually holding their own,” Mr. Gampel said.

As fourth-quarter and annual results continue to pour in, the collapse in crude prices is taking an ever-mounting toll on energy companies around the world.

Today, Royal Dutch Shell posted its worst full-year results in more than a decade, warning, too, of further cuts.

“In the last year, the company has taken writedowns in excess of $7-billion on its operations in Alaska, Ukraine, as well as the Carmon Creek tar sands venture in Canada as it looks to dispose of non-core assets and looks to take on Exxon Mobil in the liquefied natural gas space,” said CMC’s Mr. Hewson.

“Along with the other oil majors, the main focus of concern is the dividend policy, as well as the risks of cutting expenditures too deep, and in the process curtailing its ability to react quickly to a turnaround in the oil price, as the supply and demand dynamics shift away from the current glut.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ids-from-top-of-g7-to-bottom/article28533512/

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
What are Albertans doing about it?

It's pretty scary living in a place with such volatility.

THE GOOD OL’ DAYS:

Growth: In 2014, the Canadian economy as a whole grew 2.5 per cent, while Alberta expanded 4.8 per cent.

Unemployment: That same year, the national unemployment rate was 6.9 per cent, while it was 4.7 per cent in Alberta.

Debt and deficits: In the 2014-15 fiscal year, Canadian governments as a whole had a surplus that measured about 0.1 per cent of gross domestic product. Alberta had a surplus of 0.3 per cent of provincial GDP.

AND NOW?

Growth: Canada is expected to grow slowly — 1.2 per cent in 2015 and 1.0 per cent in 2016. The Alberta economy, on the other hand, is expected to contract 2.8 per cent in 2015 and shrink again by 2.5 per cent in 2016.

Unemployment: The unemployment rate for the country is projected to hit 7.3 per cent in 2016. Alberta’s jobless rate is expected to climb in 2016 to 7.6 per cent.

Debts and deficits: For 2015-16, Canadian governments are expected to show a collective deficit of 0.2 per cent of GDP. Alberta will be deeper in the hole, with an expected deficit worth 1.8 per cent of its recoiling GDP.

http://boereport.com/2016/02/02/qui...my-has-performed-vs-its-past-self-and-canada/

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Harper took the credit for the good times and in reality it was the economic cycle.
Well the cycle has come our way and commodity prices are down and the world
pricing system is to blame. Its time to question most of the trade deals anyway.
We already have the resources and sooner or later others will beg for them.
We should be controlling our own wealth in what's in the ground not giving it away
to others to make the profit on finished goods. We should ensure Canadians have
access to our resources first.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Ontario, because they buy Saudi oil and hate the planet.

We have to get off this contenent man. Russia is where it's at, lots of frozen roads, a lot like Canada. I identify with Russkys. The brotherhood of the Dark Winters. Hemispherical warfare, dogsleds with 25mm machine guns. We have to conguer the mid latitudes wher e the heat will be.

It's like the cold has already

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
We have to get off this contenent man. Russia is where it's at, lots of frozen roads, a lot like Canada. I identify with Russkys. The brotherhood of the Dark Winters. Hemispherical warfare, dogsleds with 25mm machine guns. We have to conguer the mid latitudes wher e the heat will be.

It's like the cold has already
So I have to bring the weed?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I hope all the Liberals start losing their shirts.... when the transfer payments stop... they will figure out those Free Education in Quebec other government hand outs will come to a screeching halt.

In short, The East is Starting to Freeze in the Dark..

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I hope all the Liberals start losing their shirts.... when the transfer payments stop... they will figure out those Free Education in Quebec other government hand outs will come to a screeching halt.

In short, The East is Starting to Freeze in the Dark..

It's terrible.

Don't know what to do.

We'll all end up selling each other pensils without that massive cheque that the Albertans send us every week.

Maybe, Ontario should join the United States.

Mommie!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
don't be embareassed about yer minds wondering, I rteally want to talk about the Canadian edco onomy, has irt got magnitism?

I know it's a difficult question, take youir time.

I just see industry around me. SOME manufacturing is gone but by no means all of it. I can't quite believe it but we are still busy with hardly a January slow down, at all. For me, it has been going continuously like this since the late 1980's, which was the last time that I was looking for a job. I'm not terribly unusual, either. Most Canadians live here and most are productive and generating wealth.

I will note that Southern Ontario absorbs the majority of newcomers to Canada. Ultimately, they contribute positively to Canada but they are a burden, at first. The GTA adds a million newcomers every decade. Imagine if the Western Provinces had to feed and clothe a million newcomers a decade. Maybe, your productivity wouldn't look quite so sh1t hot, then.