Conservative heckles 'English to English' translation from Liberal Defence Minister

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Kenney tweets defence of 'English to English' heckle of Sajjan

Conservative MP Jason Kenney went on Twitter to explain why he shouted in question period that he needed an "English to English translation" to understand Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan.

Kenney, a former minister of defence, directed the heckle Monday at Sajjan as he was answering a question about the government's plan to deal with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

Conservative defence critic James Bezan and associate defence critic Pierre Paul-Hus both asked questions on the Liberals' election promise to withdraw Canada's fighter jets from the U.S.-led mission in Iraq and Syria.

​Bezan accused Sajjan of suggesting that Canada's allies were to blame for the spread of ISIS, referring to Sajjan's speech at an event organized by Canada 2020 on Friday.

"Why are the Liberals lecturing our allies on how to fight terrorism while at the same time befriending [Russian President Vladimir] Putin and Iran?" asked Bezan.

"It's about consulting our allies and having a dialogue," replied Sajjan. "These lessons, as I stated, were learned while working with our coalition partners, and that's the plan that we'll be putting forward and making sure that we get this right so we don't make the mistakes of the previous 10 years."

After question period, government House leader Kevin Lamoureux rose in the House of Commons and called for Kenney to apologize for his "inappropriate comment."

"I'm wondering if the member would do the proper thing and apologize or at the very least explain his comments," Lamoureux said.

Kenney refused to apologize for his remarks, saying Sajjan's answer was "totally incoherent," prompting shouts of "shame" from Liberal MPs.

Later, on Twitter, Liberal MP Raj Grewal called Kenney's remarks "unacceptable."

MP Ruby Sahota called Kenney's heckle "racist."

About an hour later, Kenney posts a series of replies to Grewal explaining why he needed a "translation" of Sajjan's answer.

Kenney tweets defence of 'English to English' heckle of Sajjan - Trending - CBC News

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Those toilet mouth fascist Conservatives heckling in the Opposition seats except for Rona Ambrose in her leather shirt just like the SS used to wear in Germany in the 1930s

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Those toilet mouth fascist Conservatives heckling in the Opposition seats except for Rona Ambrose in her leather shirt just like the SS used to wear in Germany in the 1930s

Your brain seems only capable of thinking about what is on the liberal website.

Of course there was no heckling from the opposition during the previous government.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Your brain seems only capable of thinking about what is on the liberal website.

Of course there was no heckling from the opposition during the previous government.

I don't think the issue was just the fact that the opposition was heckling. I think it was the fact that, until the former Conservative cabinet minister clarified his comments later in the day, those who heard it thought that he was heckling from across the aisle with racist remarks. If he had been, that would have been very clearly inappropriate and unparliamentary conduct.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

Godwin has arrived.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I don't think the issue was just the fact that the opposition was heckling. I think it was the fact that, until the former Conservative cabinet minister clarified his comments later in the day, those who heard it thought that he was heckling from across the aisle with racist remarks. If he had been, that would have been very clearly inappropriate and unparliamentary conduct.

The PC police are alive and well in the Liberal Parliament.

.. Wouldn't want anyone to feel excluded

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
"Those darned Liberals! Back in the good ol' days, MPs were encouraged to be foaming-at-the-mouth racists in the House!"
You're right. Everyone should be like the Liberals and keep it outside the House. Only uttered in leadership conventions and on social media while running for office.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Never did like Kenny and the gang he hung around with they continue their
ignorance and verbal bravado plays to the base while the rest of Canadians
watch with amusement knowing the young will come out in droves to keep
them from coming back into office.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
A thin skin would be to ignore the comment and run away.

No, having in thin skin means easily offended or hurt.

God, you are obviously A-Sexual and stupid.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Mr Sajan is a highly regarded intellectual soldier by our allies. Mr. Kenny and his former boss have only played soldier.....

In spite of American pressure, Canada’s new Liberal government is moving slowly. Conservative critics slam Prime Minister Justin Trudeau for failing to say what, if anything, he will do militarily in Iraq and Syria once he fulfils his promise to bring Canada’s six fighter jets home.

But perhaps the government is wise to take its time. War is serious business.

As Canadians found in Afghanistan, it’s easy to get enmeshed in war. It’s harder to get out.

To his credit, Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan seems to recognize this. A veteran of the Afghan War, he knows what can happen when politicians send troops into conflict before sorting out the ramifications.

“I want to make sure we don’t repeat the mistakes of the past,” Sajjan told the Commons Monday

“Because every single time we make these mistakes as political leaders, we send our men and women into harm’s way for no reason.”

For that frank assessment, the minister was pilloried. Conservative critic James Bezan suggested he was belittling Canada’s soldiers. Jason Kenney, another Conservative MP, mocked his syntax.

In fact, Sajjan was right. Mistakes were made in Afghanistan. As a soldier serving in that war, he was on the receiving end of them.

On Friday, he outlined some of these mistakes in a speech to a foreign policy conference.

The Canadian Press reports that Sajjan singled out the West’s failure to grasp the complex situation on the ground.

He also noted that much of the money earmarked for Afghan aid only fuelled corruption.

And he issued a general caution about the war against terror.

“Over the last 10 years, we need to do a really hard assessment,” he said. “Should we be patting ourselves on the back? And I’m talking from a security perspective around the world.

“I think we can say things have not gotten much better. Things have gotten worse.”

more

Canada wise to be cautious about ever-widening ISIS war: Walkom | Toronto Star

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Absolutely! And for that reason, the Liberal Party should issue an immediate apology to Kenny for merely implying that he is a racist.