Bill to revise national anthem in tribute to women

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Bill to revise national anthem in tribute to women

Canadian Liberal MP, Mauril Bélanger, submitted a bill on 27 January, requesting the revision of the Canadian national anthem. According to the bill, the 'O Canada' national anthem should be revised by changing the line, "True patriot love in all thy sons command" to "all of us command".

The news comes as the liberal government, led by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, continues to seek better representation of women in the public sphere. "With my bill, I want to pay tribute to all the women who have worked and fought to build and shape the Canada that we know today," said Bélanger in a statement. "I want to at long last honor their sacrifices and contribution."

Bélanger introduced the bill through an iPad speech app, since he is not able to speak following his diagnosis with Lou Gehrig's disease. Earlier, there have been nearly 10 attempts to revise the Canadian national anthem, however they were all unsuccessful since conservatives said the move is "grammatically unnecessary" or that most of the Canadian soldiers are men.

The last time the anthem was revised was in 1980 when 'O Canada' replaced 'God Save the Queen'. "For women, this will means we are included and valued for our labours in building this country. It means this for all Canadians," said Nancy Ruth, a Conservative senator.

"There's a small number of people here who really want it changed and a small number who don't," said David Kendall, a Canadian anthem expert, reported The Guardian. "But most don't mind what it says as long as they get to sing it at the hockey."

Earlier in 2015, Bélanger had said, while addressing the Canadian House of Commons, reported USAToday: "Let us start singing 'all of us' instead ... That is the right thing to do, and I hope we will do so and represent the evolution of our society over the last century."

Canada: Bill to revise national anthem in tribute to women

It's 2016

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I don't support this change but here is my reason:

I think if we want to hang on to our freedoms and libertie, we have to stop reacting to groups that are offended or might be offended...instead we need to drive home the concept of tolerance. Lets face it - without tolerance - freedom of religion, race, sexual orientation, political association....these are all in conflict with each other. Unless tolerance is brought to the fore front.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Is there any issue more pressing than this one? I think not! Put everything on the wait list while Justin tackles this.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Is there any issue more pressing than this one? I think not! Put everything on the wait list while Justin tackles this.

This is not a Government bill; it is a private member's bill that was introduced by a back-bencher. Private member's bills have strict blocks of time scheduled for their consideration and passage in the House, so it is not possible for something like this bill on the national anthem to displace or demote the priority of Government business.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Shame on you, posting 'The Maple Leaf Forever'! All the French Canadians will get stirred up all over again and think up some new ways to harangue us.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
This is not a Government bill; it is a private member's bill that was introduced by a back-bencher. Private member's bills have strict blocks of time scheduled for their consideration and passage in the House, so it is not possible for something like this bill on the national anthem to displace or demote the priority of Government business.
All one and the same. They're using the same playbook. Nothing else is happening except touchy feely baloney.

"True patriot love in all thy selfie command"

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Thank god, my wife has been so distraught over woman not getting equal mention in the national anthem.

Hopefully, we can include the LBGT community and after that who knows?

Maybe dogs and cats and equal mention for goldfish.

Country is slipping into a recession and this is news?

Wow.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Is "Patriot love" the sort of expression that a proper 21st century Liberal Democracy should be using in their anthem? If doesn't sound at all politically correct, to me. "True cooperative love in all of us command." Whatdya think? Have I captured the zeitgeist?