Conservatives 'Stunning Reversal' on Pot

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Liberals Laud Rona Ambrose's 'Come To Jesus Moment' On Pot Legalization

OTTAWA — Liberal MPs gleefully welcomed on Monday Conservative interim leader Rona Ambrose’s apparent new position on the legalization of marijuana.

As health minister, Ambrose had waged a multimillion-dollar television and radio ad campaign aimed at Justin Trudeau’s pot plan. Earlier this month, however, in what seems like a stunning reversal of Tory policy, she called on the prime minister to move quickly on his plan to legalize weed.

“On Oct. 19, there was a very clear message sent when he was elected that pot is going to be legal across Canada recreationally, not just from a medicinal point of view,” she told reporters Monday. “So pot dispensaries are popping up everywhere. [Trudeau] said he is going to manage this, and he is going to keep it out of the hands of kids and so I’m waiting to see his plans to do that.”

Pot dispensaries did exist before the Liberals’ win this fall, Ambrose acknowledged, but she said police had previously cracked down on them in some jurisdictions.

As late as December, the Conservative interim leader had argued that selling pot in places such as Ontario’s liquor board would fail to keep it out of the hands of children. She told The Huffington Post Canada she was “very skeptical” the Liberals would be able to achieve their goals.

But then, in a confusing interview in early January, Ambrose told a Vancouver radio station she wanted the government to move on marijuana legalization as soon as possible. “The faster they move on this, the better … the better to protect kids,” she told CKNW AM 980's Simi Sara.

Liberals Laud Rona Ambrose's 'Come To Jesus Moment' On Pot Legalization

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Just consider the source. Huff Post. THe left has stuck to ideals set out in the early 1900s like baby $hit on a blanket no matter how wacky so they find it odd that anyone else can shift with the times or even come up with an original idea.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think she is saying that she wants to see Justin fulfill his promise and also the 2nd part where he promised some controls for kids. Article seems pretty clear if you ignore the libtard headline.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Mentalfloss you are becoming a curmudgeon. Many conservatives have been calling for legalization, myself and I think even Colpy agreed that it is a stupid law.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'm referring to the party platform, which I am well aware did not represent some of it's voters until they were ejected.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
There's another way of looking at this. As opposition, the Conservatives know that Trudeau, with a majority can and will do whatever he pleases. So rather than fight vigorously against a 'done deal' it seems more prudent to look for some positives in it, something they can support.
If Conservatives can see that the majority government and the will of the people support a certain issue, they would be remiss to ignore it.
It's a long time until the Conservatives have a new leader and get their act together. In the meantime, what's gained by using every little move they make to belittle them?
The people have a new government which they wanted so why the focus on the past? Let's focus on the present and the performance of the NEW government, if they ever do manage to perform in some capacity.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's not a done deal. Canada is a signatory to treaties that make it very difficult if not impossible to legalize it.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Can you expand on what those treaties are and how difficult that would make it?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
IF Oregon, Colorado, Alaska, and Washington have all made it legal for recreational use then what will make it difficult for Canada? I'd always heard the problem would be with the US if Canada legalized it?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I hold the same opinion. Right now criminals are running weed stores and I want them gone. They are selling garbage.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I hold the same opinion. Right now criminals are running weed stores and I want them gone. They are selling garbage.

so why not get yourself a store and start selling what you think is good pot?

I know a few people who say the same you as you. They say its' garbage compared to what they can produce.

I say...get on with it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm looking forward to not buying state sactioned pot, whenever they get around to monopolizing it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No thanks. I stick to growing my own outdoors in the pure, sweet porairie sunshine and air.

The weed is garbage. Smoking mold, mildew and urea is flat out dangerous. Out of all the ones in van city there are three I trust for quality control and clean criminal records.

I'm looking forward to not buying state sactioned pot, whenever they get around to monopolizing it.

The ones that are already approved by health canada have great weed but they can't meet demand.