Dear Alberta - Fûck you and keep sending money..

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Dear Alberta - Fûck you and keep sending money..

It has to be clear by now. Care Bear diplomacy isn’t working for Alberta.

The province takes one economic blow after another from Canadians, despite NDP Premier Rachel Notley’s cheery efforts to make friends across the country.

Tuesday’s flat rejection of the Energy East pipeline by 82 Montreal-area municipalities means Alberta is now under virtual economic blockade.

Every cross-border project that matters to the energy industry is stymied by objections from provinces, municipalities and interest groups.

And it’s a funny thing — the objectors never seem to mention Alberta’s noble climate change policy, the one that was supposed to soften opposition to pipelines.

Montreal’s rejection was announced even though the National Energy Board’s long review process for the $15.7-billion Energy East project has hardly begun.

The board doesn’t have a full application from TransCanada Ltd. Only a few preliminary hearings have been held. A final report is likely years away.

The Montreal-area politicians can’t even know what they’re objecting to. They just know they object to whatever pipeline comes — except, of course, the equalization money pipeline.

In Burnaby, B.C., the NEB was hearing Thursday from intervenors in Kinder Morgan’s application to expand the Trans Mountain pipeline. I’m told that by afternoon, not a single objector had mentioned the Alberta NDP’s climate-change efforts.

Let us sincerely hope Notley’s climate change plan helps the climate — because it sure isn’t helping Alberta.

This national shunning of her genuine goodwill is dangerous for the New Democrats.

The very core of their economic policy is the link she promised between advanced climate change policy and pipeline progress.

If Albertans end up paying the $3-billion carbon tax even while low oil prices are strangling the economy, and there’s still no give from other national players, this government is doomed.

Perhaps that’s why the Montreal provocation finally produced just a trace of annoyance.

Economic Development Minister Deron Bilous said Montreal Mayor Denis Codere, who fronted for the gang of 82, is being “ungenerous” and “short-sighted.”

“I feel that his comments are really not taking into account the initiative Alberta is undertaking in order to get our products to market . . . there needs to be a recognition of the leadership Alberta is showing.”

That’s pretty mild in the circumstances; but those are the first critical words — the very first — to be uttered by a member of the Notley government over these issues.

In British Columbia, Premier Christy Clark promotes tanker shipments of liquid natural gas, and expects Alberta gas to fuel the plants, while her government opposes every oil pipeline project from over the mountains.

There’s never any pushback from Notley — just, “OK, we’ll work it out somehow.”

Wildrose Leader Brian Jean, by sharp contrast, was extremely combative and probably a lot closer to the developing public mood.

“You can’t dump raw sewage, accept foreign tankers, benefit from equalization and then reject our pipelines,” Jean said on Twitter.

Last November, Montreal poured billions of litres of raw sewage into the St. Lawrence, alarming American neighbours and downstream communities.

Jean also said: “Montreal buys millions of barrels of foreign oil from dictatorships, but it is rejecting oil from their friends in Confederation — it’s ridiculous.”

This week has brought a series of shocks for Alberta — market turmoil, more layoffs and capital spending-cuts in the energy industry; two negative downgrades from rating agencies, along with dire warnings about the NDP topping its debt limit by next year.

Notley’s strategy is to offer hope for the future; a bright era of national co-operation and prosperity, all kick-started by the province’s efforts to join the environmental mainstream.

But all she gets is the finger from a string of petty chieftains who are subverting a national power Ottawa refuses to exercise. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau smiles sunnily, suggests we might get a few bucks, but doesn’t act.

On Friday, Notley meets another noted waffler, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne, in Toronto. Wynne imposes seven conditions for allowing Energy East to cross Ontario’s hallowed soil — two more than B.C.

Remember the Rachel Notley who shredded ex-premier Jim Prentice in the election debate last May?

Alberta needs that one back.

source: Braid: NDP smiles at the rest of Canada, gets the finger back | Calgary Herald

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
If you think the NDP are 'getting the finger' now just wait! It was Jack Layton that carried the NDP to their peak; it was all about Jack, not the Party. Now that he's gone, there are still some who hope the good will of the people will keep the NDP up there but it won't work.
Albertans are possibly wondering what they were thinking to elect Notley!

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The municipalities and provinces can not 'block' any pipeline... This is entirely within the jurisdiction of the feds

Yeah.....the Feds....are waffling. Doing nothing, so this can
drag out with no action until a Fed Gov't comes into power
that is willing to do something/anything about this. This
leaves the pipeline effectively blocked, right or wrong.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Yeah.....the Feds....are waffling. Doing nothing, so this can
drag out with no action until a Fed Gov't comes into power
that is willing to do something/anything about this. This
leaves the pipeline effectively blocked, right or wrong.

Yep, you summed it up pretty well.

As for this Fed gvt, they will be under a lot of financial pressure to develop an economy that generates revenue.

The price of a bbl will rise once the Saudis decide that they are far enough in the fiscal hole and/or they believe that they have dealt a hard enough blow to Putin and shale oil.

Even the libtard brain trust understands that you don't develop international trade in sectors that don't even exist in Canada for at least a generation or so.

The upside on this situation is that AB and Sask will not be kicking in any meaningful amounts into the equalization program and as such, the East Coast provinces will be screaming like scalded cats, Ontario will need to raise more money on the bond markets (at extraordinary rates) and Quebec will have to gouge their population on increasing taxes.

..... Shouldn't be too long before the pressure cripples Trudeau and his merry band of ideologues

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The municipalities and provinces can not 'block' any pipeline... This is entirely within the jurisdiction of the feds

I find it so entertaining when the shoe is on the other foot. So many folks I know (here in Alberta) were on the "property rights" kick a few years ago and now are upset that the Kweebeckers can block progress

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I find it so entertaining when the shoe is on the other foot. So many folks I know (here in Alberta) were on the "property rights" kick a few years ago and now are upset that the Kweebeckers can block progress

Those folks in AB weren't able to stop this either.

... Really, a poor example on your part, it does more to promote the process than anything else

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Im sure the people pissing and moaning were against government imposition...at least the ones I know

and are those same people all for government imposition when it comes to the Pipeline and Quebec?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Of course. Its only way it can get done if enough landowners don't want it.

Just want to make sure I'm clear on this.

All the people that you know from ALberta that were against government imposition in Alberta, are now FOR government imposition when it comes to the energy-east pipeline.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Just want to make sure I'm clear on this.

All the people that you know from ALberta that were against government imposition in Alberta, are now FOR government imposition when it comes to the energy-east pipeline.
The ones I've spoken with, yes.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all how do you know it isn't working? People are staking out positions
for negotiation on what to do. You are treating this like some half hour show
with an instant solution. There are voices that should be silent in situation like
this and I speak of a couple of Quebec elected officials. Most have been silent
they are assessing the situation and taking WISE council on how to proceed.

I remember countless times when a few redneck Albertan's made statements
about Easterners and those from Quebec when they were in trouble and it was
the east could go to hell. I think the term was they could freeze in the dark.

Yes these were elected officials and likely the minority of thought coming from
Alberta but those statements from another time did a lot of damage. In the minds
of some its a case of paybacks are hell In the minds of many is we have to let
silly emotion die down so we can have a constructive solution. Ranting and
waving our hands in the air with polarized rhetoric gains you nothing. Instead
you reap a harvest of ill will and that leaves you worse off.
iF I were in Alberta I would stop my war of words and get behind the Premier.
Why? Because if the Feds and other Provinces see a House divided they see
little urgency to act. So comments and condemning statements about a government
you don't like is more damaging than the statements of a few coming out of Quebec.
I deal with various government officials a lot and I worry more about radicals and
those animated folks on our side than I do government officials. We have made gains
by being more united or at least silent. Working with others beats silly polarizing
statements that seek to divide rather than find a solution.
Optimists look for positive outcomes and win win solutions
Pessimists they can find a problem for every solution

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Broomer's the only one I know of but there's probably quite a few of more around

Just wondering how far their hypocrisy goes. As for boomer, he's not a real Canadian, as far as I'm concerned, let alone an Albertan.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Just wondering how far their hypocrisy goes. As for boomer, he's not a real Canadian, as far as I'm concerned, let alone an Albertan.
I live in a rural area and the farmers were beside themselves when the province tried to mess with property rights a few years ago. Some people don't seem to understand how a few landowners can cost the taxpayers a fortune just because they want to be pissy.

The province has been trying to regionalize water plants and run pipelines around the province. Uncooperative farmers and ranchers are costing the taxpayers millions (if not billions). We just completed a 6 mile pipeline 5 years ago that cost an additional $250k just because one farmer didn't want it crossing his property. I had coffee Saturday with some of these same farmers that were bitching about Kweebek and their "interference"