Climate change bomb has already gone off says NWT premier

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Looks like he's having nunavut eh guys?

EH?

Climate change bomb has already gone off says NWT premier

OTTAWA – The premier of the Northwest Territories doesn’t see climate change as a ticking time bomb _ in his part of the country, it’s already gone off.

Canada’s North is at the forefront of climate change and its effects can be seen with the naked eye on a daily basis, Bob McLeod said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

Warmer temperatures have led to a host of changes, including a shifting tree line, problems with the territory’s winter road network and significant impacts on the caribou population, McLeod said.

“I could go on and on,” he said. “We have permafrost … that’s melting. It is affecting our buildings and our housing so we have to change our building techniques.”

Climate change has also contributed to the disappearance of certain fish species, McLeod noted. “We are seeing wildlife species foreign to this area … moving further north from the south like cougar and whitetail deer.”

He also suggested the territory is at the mercy of outside efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

“We are doing our part, but I mean, in the larger scheme of things, we are very small emitters of CO2 (carbon dioxide) gases,” McLeod said.

“Obviously we are dependent on national and international actions to reduce the overall emissions of greenhouses gases.”

McLeod said he looks forward to participating in upcoming discussions with the federal government as it prepares to hammer out a national climate change strategy along with the provinces and other territories.

“From all accounts, the prime minister has indicated that the government of Canada is going to take a much more active leadership role working … closely with the provinces and territories, so I was heartened by that,” he said.

“I was also heartened by the fact that Canada contributed significantly to help developing countries to deal with climate change. We are hopeful he will take the same approach with developing territories to help us deal with the effects of greenhouse gases that are largely not our own doing.”

The annual average temperature has increased 1.6 degrees C, or twice the global average, since 1948, according to briefing documents prepared for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Canada’s North has warmed by about three times the global average _ a boost of 2.2 C, the documents note.

Climate change bomb has already gone off says NWT premier - APTN National NewsAPTN National News

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
“We are doing our part, but I mean, in the larger scheme of things, we are very small emitters of CO2 (carbon dioxide) gases,” McLeod said.

Same can be said of Canada. Now, what has China been made to do about this (assuming this is not just a natural cycle)? Have they stopped building 1 coal power plan per week?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Same can be said of Canada. Now, what has China been made to do about this (assuming this is not just a natural cycle)? Have they stopped building 1 coal power plan per week?

China as always get's a pass. China years ago told the eco-tards to kiss their azz and to look elsewhere for money.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
But this thread isn't about China.

You might want to check the ChineseContent.net forums.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How did the Esquimaux turn the sun back on 160 years ago? How are the Esquimaux moving magnetic north and altering the the magnetosphere?