Progressives in Alberta: The Quiet Majority

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Progressives in Alberta are now the quiet majority.

Sweeping demographic changes due to interprovincial and international migration have drastically changed what was once Canada’s most conservative province.

In just the past nine years, 531,000 people, a city almost half the size of Calgary, has moved to Alberta. This massive group has no connection to traditional conservative Alberta politics. They totally missed the Ralph Klein era, knowing only Ed Stelmach, Alison Redford and for a brief period, Jim Prentice.

And Albertans do identify themselves as such. A recent Abacus Data poll commissioned by Progress Alberta found that 59 per cent of Albertans consider themselves progressive. The online poll ran from Dec. 2 to Dec. 7 and polled a representative sample of 1,000.

In the midst of all of that change Alberta has also become one of Canada’s youngest, most educated and urban provinces — all traits that correlate with identifying as progressive.

“Urbanization, in-migration, and generational change are all shifting the province’s political attitudes and behaviour,” says David Coletto of Abacus Data.

“Most Albertans think the province has become more progressive in the past year. More identify as progressive than they do conservative. And the province’s most popular political leader (Naheed Nenshi) is seen as a progressive himself. Perhaps it might be time to reconsider the notion that Alberta is Canada’s most conservative province,” says Coletto.

Opinion: Alberta — More progressive than you think | Edmonton Journal

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
What utter crap and BS.

Dont be silly. I've been saying for years that the Alberta is more progressive than people believe. Klein was a liberal that knew he couldn't be elected under the Liberal Party banner. Look at per capita spending on healthcare and education over the last ten-twenty years and tell me Alberta is conservative. Simpletons look at the party in power and think that because they call themselves Conservative, they must be conservative.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Give it a few more years and the rest of Canada will begin to love Alberta.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I'm not sure if Flossy hates Alberta or if he just lacks the understanding of how things are. He reminds me of SJP in that he has some perception of how he thinks things are out west with very little evidence to back it up other than Liberal and Dipper propaganda. In that respect, he's not all that different from Wally. His view of what Alberta is also has no basis in reality.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Don't worry, I have friends from Alberta.

Some of them are conventional conbots like most people on this forum and some are progressive types.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Some of them are conventional conbots like most people on this forum and some are progressive types.

Yes, Alberta has all types, just like every other province. The fact that Alberta has among the highest per capita program spending in the country, shoots your goofy ideas about Alberta full of holes. It must make you warm and fuzzy to know you and Wally are equally ignorant.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You must be talking to someone else.

Just because I can laugh at Wally doesn't mean I think Alberta is full of rednecks.

In fact, that's partly the reason I made the post.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You must be talking to someone else.

Just because I can laugh at Wally doesn't mean I think Alberta is full of rednecks.

In fact, that's partly the reason I made the post.

No, the reason you made the post is to troll. That said, the article you posted is silly. Alberta has been anything but conservative over the past 40 years. The only time it was remotely conservative was during the Klein era. He was a liberal that just returned some fiscal sanity to a government acting like drunken sailors on shore leave. The Dippers were elected here because the Conservative party was unpopular. It had nothing to do with younger people, newcomers or popular progressive ideas.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Enlightening the bots is not trolling.

Yes it wouldn't be...if that was what you were doing. Unfortunately for you, enlightening anybody on this issue would require that you have an understanding of this issue which, clearly, you do not. You are the left's answer to Wally. Congratulations.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Here people are figuring out whether or not people are progressive when
the real problem is the job market dried up because the former governments
did not attempt to diversify the economy and remained dependent on
commodity industries alone. This is not an Alberta problem it is a Canadian
problem what affects one province has repercussions for everyone.
Alberta must start down the road to diversification or the cycle will be as harsh
next time.
BC, went through this in the eighties when the forest industry went down they
found other solutions.
Newfoundland and NS went trough it with the fishery, and so on now Alberta has
to find a new economy as oil will continue to be volatile

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Don't be silly. Alberta has tried to diversify its economy for years. The talk always ramps up when the price of oil drops and then fades away when the boom hits again. It's impossible for other industries to compete with the resource sector when it's on fire

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
poll commissioned by Progress Alberta found that 59 per cent of Albertans consider themselves progressive
It's a 97% consensus.

Don't be silly. Alberta has tried to diversify its economy for years. The talk always ramps up when the price of oil drops and then fades away when the boom hits again. It's impossible for other industries to compete with the resource sector when it's on fire

BSE did more Albertans in than oil returning to natural prices but don't tell anyone, it is fun to watch the worms wriggle.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

You have friends? I gotta call bullsh-t on that. Just because your wife has friends, doesn't mean you have friends.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Progressives in Alberta Must be some sort of secret underground. I wonder where they meet? No. I suppose that you would have to kill me, afterwards.