New Canadian Government Breaks Promise of Pension Improvements

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Toronto Star columnist Thomas Walkom has written a too-rare appreciation of where the new Liberal government in Canada is going with its promise to improve the Canada Pension Plan. Walkom published a hard-hitting column on the subject on December 23.

Amid much fanfare, Liberal Party leader Justin Trudeau made a promise on September 14 to boost the old age pensions of Canadians should his party win election on October 19. CBC reported: ” The Liberal plan includes a promise to restore the eligibility for old age security and guaranteed income supplement back to 65 [from the change to age 67 by the Harper Conservatives], a new seniors price index to make sure those benefits keep up with rising costs, a ten per cent boost to the guaranteed supplement for single low-income seniors, and a pledge not to cut pension income splitting for seniors.”

Trudeau made his announcement at a staged setting, surrounded by members of CARP (formerly named the Canadian Association of Retired Persons), an organization that has long campaigned for improvements to Canada’s public pension plans.[1]

In reality, the Liberal campaign promise was quite modest. It did not propose any increases to CPP benefit payments, the core of Canada’s three-tiered old age support system. In addition to CPP, Canada’s public pension plan includes the 65-and–older, universal Old Age Security payment and the 65-and-older Guaranteed Income Supplement.

mo

New Canadian Government Breaks Promise of Pension Improvements

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What a ridiculous "article." The Liberals have not broken a promise here.

The Ministers of Finance are going to be meeting again in June 2016 to review the options that are available to enhance the Canada Pension Plan, and to develop a concrete course forward in December 2016. The Liberals promised to "work with the provinces and territories, workers, employers, and retiree organizations to enhance the CPP" (source) and, given the plan for continued consultation, it appears that they are delivering on exactly what was promised.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When politicians make promises are they obligated to enact them the first day or sometime within their four (five) year mandate? :)

It was a question YOU f**king dummy!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
When politicians make promises are they obligated to enact them the first day or sometime within their four (five) year mandate? :)

It was a question YOU f**king dummy!

It was a ridiculously silly question, yes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It was a ridiculously silly question, yes.

In your limited opinion! You obviously didn't read the O.P. or understand it.

Weren't you taught in grade school that there is no such thing as a stupid question???
Perhaps your obtuse arrogance precludes you from having to listen to the wisdom of your superiors!

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Why do you insist on advertising to the whole wide world your low I.Q. level and lack of knowledge or understanding of even the simplest concepts? It just brands you as a total loser!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Why do you insist on advertising to the whole wide world your low I.Q. level and lack of knowledge or understanding of even the simplest concepts? It just brands you as a total loser!

You're so silly. Do you have any more questions?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You're so silly. Do you have any more questions?

You silly, silly boy. Every time you come out with such statements you just confirm the validity of everything I've said, but as the old adage goes............."Give an idiot enough rope and he'll hang himself". :)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You silly, silly boy. Every time you come out with such statements you just confirm the validity of everything I've said, but as the old adage goes............."Give an idiot enough rope and he'll hang himself". :)

Is that a no? Too bad.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Yet you keep interacting with the troll.....I would guess you never learn????