Some disappointing Liberal orders-in-council

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So, I have a habit of checking up on recent Orders-in-Council on the Privy Council website because, hey, why not? Whereupon, unfortunately, I have discovered that there are some appointments by the Governor General-in-Council that disappoint me, especially in light of all of the hullabaloo from The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau MP, the Prime Minister, about the need for better appointments (especially in the wake of his criticism of his predecessor for abusing the Order-in-Council appointment mechanism on his way out).

Haven't seen these reported anywhere, so maybe it really is just the culture of Canadian governance.

Sigh.

Appointment to the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority

It appears that an order was made on December 16 appointing Dwight Duncan as the interim Chairperson of the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority (the authority responsible for managing design and procurement of the bridge project). Mr. Duncan was an MPP for various Windsor-centric ridings in Ontario from 1995 to 2013, under the banner of the Liberal Party of Ontario. It was apparently done in consultation with the board of the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority.

Appointments to the Judicial Compensation & Benefits Commission

An order was made on December 15 appointing Margaret Bloodworth to the Judicial Compensation & Benefits Commission (responsible for assessing whether the salaries and benefits of Canadian judges are adequate and appropriate). She is listed as a mentor by the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation; this was on the recommendation of The Honourable Jody Wilson-Raybould PC, MP, Minister of Justice. (To be fair, she is also a distinguished public servant.)

Also, on December 15, the Governor-in-Council appointed Gil Rémillard QC as the Chairperson of the Commission. He served from 1985 to 1994 in Québec as, you guessed it, a member of the Liberal Party of Québec. He served the Québec Liberals, variously, as ministers of international relations, intergovernmental relations, justice, and public safety.

Source: