Spanking children isn’t abusing them

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Canada’s Liberal government says it will revoke the law allowing parents to spank their children as part of its promise to implement all 94 recommendations of the aboriginal Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

This is a bad decision and a bad way to do it.

If Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wants to revoke Section 43 of the Criminal Code, he should consult with the public and hold committee hearings specifically on that issue.

It should not be done as part of a package of legislation based on recommendations by the TRC.

Children in residential schools were beaten, not spanked.

more

Spanking children isn’t abusing them | EDITORIAL | Editorial | Opinion | Toronto

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Again I don't think spanking correct behavior at all, Not one of them ever
corrected my behavior yet the very few I got were deserved. Spanking is
not the best policy. i think I might have given a maximum of five in my life.
Spankings and threats do nothing more imaginative ways to deal with an
issue for sure I viewed a spanking as a loss of an intelligent rational way
to deal with a discipline issue.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
its more the threat of a spanking that prevents darwination
the certain knowledge that: Yes, Virginnia! there IS a line!

ignore it and we get things like fukushima
reality sends a whale fluke where a minnow slap would have done

but there be scarce profit in prevention

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I beat all my children, they're all smart sucessful indepentent adults now who beat thier own children. Cuffing the pups and the cubs establishes domain. It's not child abuse. they are little animals afterall and they have to learn the rules before they can break them.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Let me guess, candy?

Spare the rod spoil the child.

My dear old mother beat me into the man I am today, with a broom.
Fvck that spare the rod proverb. Whoever wrote that was a slave in Babylon. Probably hit his kids with a club the fvckin barbarians. My mom used a tree switch on me a few times. Me,,i don't believe in hitting on little kids.

However if I had a son like you I might change my mind in your case.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I beat all my children, they're all smart sucessful indepentent adults now who beat thier own children. Cuffing the pups and the cubs establishes domain. It's not child abuse. they are little animals afterall and they have to learn the rules before they can break them.

Yes and no, I've always maintained only after everything else has failed and when you're raising boys everything else generally fails, so eventually they generally got a whoopin'. :) :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Again I don't think spanking correct behavior at all, Not one of them ever
corrected my behavior yet the very few I got were deserved. Spanking is
not the best policy. i think I might have given a maximum of five in my life.
Spankings and threats do nothing more imaginative ways to deal with an
issue for sure I viewed a spanking as a loss of an intelligent rational way
to deal with a discipline issue.

The main danger is if you administer too many, they just get immune to them and after a month goes they wouldn't be able to tell you how many they got for what! But if they get one damn good licking for stealing or lighting their mother's hair on fire, while she's trying to have an afternoon nap, they will remember it very vividly. :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's odd how stridently people defend the right to hit children.

Probably wouldn't happen if someone came up with an alternative that actually works. (Our middle son responded fairly well to other means)

(Did you even read the editorial?)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It's odd how stridently people defend the right to hit children.

Well, hopefully you don't "hit" your children or use any form of corporal punishment as it seems you really don't know what it is. I'd be worried that you would end up beating your children.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Spanking them on the butt is cruel . Especially if they are little girls. I don't like it. Folks can do as they wish I never spanked my girls and don't give a flying F uck what anyone thinks about it,

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Probably wouldn't happen if someone came up with an alternative that actually works. (Our middle son responded fairly well to other means)

(Did you even read the editorial?)

Yeah, that's what I was commenting on. Oh, are you saying it wasn't very strident? That's a fair point. The editorial gave only flimsy arguments or zero evidence to support its cause. It's short, contains very little effort... strident isn't the right word. I take it back. It's not odd how stridently people defend the right to hit children. It's odd how weak the arguments are in favour of hitting children and how people still cling to them.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Fvck that spare the rod proverb. Whoever wrote that was a slave in Babylon. Probably hit his kids with a club the fvckin barbarians. My mom used a tree switch on me a few times. Me,,i don't believe in hitting on little kids.

However if I had a son like you I might change my mind in your case.

So mom switched you a few times before reason had taken root in you, that is the natural way, it's not cruelty it's nurture, the cubs and pups do not rule the family the family rules them. Parents who fail to establish that rule become victimized by children who remain immature sometimes into adulthood and beyond. It's not uncommon to see parents in a department store being terrorized by spoiled rotten little monsters that they are responsible for producing. In those cases I'm torn between wanting to beat the parents and the children.
I can recall on one hand all the punishments I levied out upon my children. It was my job as a parent to instill respect. If they had none for me and thier mother they would hardly have been inclined to exercise any in the world outside of the family. No parent should enjoy that responsibility and none should ignore it.