Out of control government

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Before lighting that holiday fire: Fireplace registration deadline is Dec. 22

Winter weather hasn't made its way to Montreal, but that might not stop some residents from lighting a crackling holiday fire.

If that’s you, beware: The deadline to register your fireplace or wood stove with the city is fast approaching.

A new city of Montreal bylaw requires that anyone with a fireplace or wood stove must meet the new emissions guidelines by October 2018.

Units must release no more than 2.5 grams of fine particles per hour.

The deadline to register your unit with the city by Dec. 22, using this online form.

Those who fail to comply could face a fine of up to $2,000.

more

Before lighting that holiday fire: Fireplace registration deadline is Dec. 22 | CTV Montreal News

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I wonder when the powers that be buttwads are going to invent a bug resistant tree of controllable quality, consistent BTU and at a price comparable to going into the bush and cutting your own. Regulation of fireplaces and woodstoves is a fire safety thing. Emissions? Have they ever followed a city bus?

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Oh FGS!
Don't light a wood fire but drive, drive, drive, that SUV!
I remember when the environ - Menatlists were even trying to make people stop burning candles.
Cigarette smoke was considered to be the worst pollutant; if we all stopped smoking the air would be 'pure' again!
It is all meant to divert attention away from the real pollutants that no politician has the guts to regulate.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It is coming fireplaces and cars and trucks snowmobiles and all other pollutants.
Soon it will expand to farmers and farting cows or homeowner with pets and so it
continues. There is an emerging problem not yet hit upon. Vegetables and fruit in
your garden a recent study finds they are worse than red meat for pollution levels.
Next they will tax and regulate your garden and don't forget they are planning to tax
you electric car by the mile instead of fuel costs.
When does all this crap stop. I have a fireplace in a house that is 85 years old don't
use it anymore as my wife has COPD but that doesn't mean others in the neighborhood
should be legislated out of existence. And yes most of the regulations are to make it
too expensive to comply with. Montreal is just the beginning every single like minded
council in the country is looking on with interest. At some point we need to say P*ss off

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
This is absolute bullcrap. I've already paid $3500 to register my house. The fireplace is part of my house, and it is on file.

Why should I register something they already know about? And, why should I have to register something that I don't use?