Canada aims to double intake of Syrian refugees to 50,000: McCallum

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Canada aims to double intake of Syrian refugees to 50,000: McCallum

AMMAN, Jordan - Canada's minister of immigration and citizenship says the country's resettlement program for Syrian refugees could double its intake by the end of next year to 50,000.

John McCallum was in the Jordanian capital of Amman on Sunday, meeting with Syrian families preparing to board flights to Canada. He told one family: "Everyone in Canada is waiting to meet you."

Canada's new Liberal government is pushing forward with its pledge to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of February. McCallum says Canada hopes to settle 35,000 to 50,000 Syrian refugees by the end of 2016, with the UN refugee agency, the Jordanian government and the International Organization for Migration assisting with the vetting process.

McCallum also toured development projects and refugee facilities during his two-day stop in Jordan.

source: Canada aims to double intake of Syrian refugees to 50,000: McCallum | CTV News

More Liberal voters..

More millions spent, and nothing for Canadians. Canada has become a joke.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
i have always like John Mccallum,i think he is a wonderful embassador on behalf of Canadians.
he always makes me laugh,just like Mr. Chretian,this is a good thing in the world of poltics.
thumbs up to John,i wonder what his middle name is?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Syrian refugees in Canada could hit 50,000 next year, says McCallum

Best.

Country.

Ever.

Canada's minister of immigration and citizenship visited Syrian refugees in Jordan over the weekend, taking the opportunity to reaffirm the country's plans to resettle 50,000 Syrians by the end of 2016.

John McCallum was in the Jordanian capital of Amman on Sunday, meeting with Syrian families preparing to board flights to Canada. He told one family: "Everyone in Canada is waiting to meet you."

Canada's new Liberal government is pushing forward with its pledge to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of February.

McCallum said earlier this month that Canada hopes to take in upwards of 50,000 Syrians by the end of next year, with the help of the UN refugee agency, the Jordanian government and the International Organization for Migration.

McCallum also toured development projects and refugee facilities during his two-day stop in Jordan.

Syrian refugees in Canada could hit 50,000 next year, says McCallum - World - CBC News

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Re: Syrian refugees in Canada could hit 50,000 next year, says McCallum

You already posted this in a preexisting thread. Don't you remember or were you too high?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Came up as news.

Could be an updated article.

Do you have a link to the original thread?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/canadian-politics/140000-canada-aims-double-intake-syrian.html

Funny don't see GerryH crying about a double post... only when I do it... ;)

Poor GerryH :lol:

Oh, I'm sorry. Everyone already knows that mentalfloss is an attention ***** that posts thread upon thread upon thread when, in reality, he could just post in an existing thread. I will be sure to put you in the same category as him from now on.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Sorry.

Didn't think Boomer would post a good thread topic.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007

Oh, I'm sorry. Everyone already knows that mentalfloss is an attention ***** that posts thread upon thread upon thread when, in reality, he could just post in an existing thread. I will be sure to put you in the same category as him from now on.
I just wish mental floozy would make one of them "official" and stick with it.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

You post way more than I do.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Best.

Country.

Ever.

Syrian refugees in Canada could hit 50,000 next year, says McCallum - World - CBC News

I would have no problem at all with 50 thousand as long as 10 thousand of them are doctors and nurses. Our medical system is bursting at the seams which what we have already! O.T.O.H. that might burst the seams of the finance system. :)

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

Hey, I have a great idea. Since "everyone" in Canada seems to think the people living in remote, northern communities are doing just great or something, we could resettle those 50,000 refugees north of 60 and provide them the same living conditions too many of our Native communities live in.
Then maybe people will start to wake up when even the refugees start saying, "I'm not living in those f*cking conditions!"

My wife saw an article today stating that as many as HALF of Canada's indigenous population don't have even basic fire protection.
Several have no running water. Many rely solely on fuel shipments to keep their heat and hydro running, delivery of which can be particularly "fun" at any time of the year.
Health care can be spotty at times although infant mortality rates have declined substantially over the last 20+ years.

And all of that isn't even counting the homeless and destitute in our cities. So the question that needs to be asked is, where did all the money suddenly come from to essentially double our annual intake of refugees when there doesn't seem to be any now or in the future to take care of our own little piece of the 3rd world? I mean I can understand the rest of the homeless people in Canada, they carry no political weight whatsoever so who gives a flying fig about them. Except at Christmas time of course. Then the idiots who wouldn't set foot in a soup kitchen or homeless shelter any other time of the year show up not out of any real altruistic reasons, but because "Tis the season" and it's a nice feel good moment for them. Or a photo op.

This latest refugee influx is what I call "fishing for votes". It's a term I first used when Mulroney openly admitted he was throwing the doors open on mass immigration to get the immigrant vote. It's a cheap, transparent ploy. Well, transparent to those who aren't stumbling around blinded by their own ideology.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Hey, I have a great idea. Since "everyone" in Canada seems to think the people living in remote, northern communities are doing just great or something, we could resettle those 50,000 refugees north of 60 and provide them the same living conditions too many of our Native communities live in.
Then maybe people will start to wake up when even the refugees start saying, "I'm not living in those f*cking conditions!"

There's no doubt that many of our own people are suffering (both north of 60 and south of 50) but I don't see the common sense of putting more people into the same desperate straits. By bringing them here, for everyone's benefit we want them to succeed and have access to good jobs, schools, heath facilities etc. If there are vacant jobs in a mine up north, I would certainly reccommnend locating someone with the appropriate experience up there, but not with the intention of causing him suffering and grief. Our own people are a separate issue and I agree if we are going to spend $700 million on refugees, spending $700 million on upgrading our own people wouldn't be out of line!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I don't know about your own people, but my own people is mankind. One big family we are.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

I would have no problem at all with 50 thousand as long as 10 thousand of them are doctors and nurses. Our medical system is bursting at the seams which what we have already! O.T.O.H. that might burst the seams of the finance system. :)

Who do you think we send to work at McDonald's and Tim Horton's?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

You post way more than I do.

Boomer joined CC in 2008 and has 19,000+ posts.

Two years later Mentalfloss joined CC in 2010 and has 21,000+ posts.

Does someone need a math lesson?