Can You Imagine What These Parents Went Through?

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Some of us were trouble for our parents but nothing like this punk

Canadian teen is country's second person convicted of seeking to join Isis
Parents of the boy turned him in to police over concerns he had become radicalized by the Islamic State and he was convicted of a terrorist offense

A Canadian teenager has become the second person in the country to be convicted of a terrorist offense for seeking to fly overseas and join an extremist group.

The immigrant parents of the 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named under a Canadian law protecting minors, had turned him in to police over concerns he had become radicalized by the Islamic State group.

He was prosecuted under a 2013 law that criminalized attempts to embed with Isis or other banned organizations.

He was also convicted of robbing a convenience store at knife-point in October 2014 with the intention of using the C$2,200 in stolen funds to buy a plane ticket to Turkey and then cross over into Syria – which authorities said amounted to an offense for the benefit or at the direction of a terrorist group.

According to police, he had also befriended the suspect in last October’s killing of a Canadian soldier in a rural Quebec hit and run, days before a gunman shot dead a ceremonial guard in Ottawa and stormed parliament.

Sentencing is set for January. He faces up to 25 years in prison.

Police say more than 100 Canadians have joined the ranks of Isis in Syria and Iraq.

At least a dozen men and women in their teens or 20s have attempted to make the trip so far this year.

Six Canadians are also believed to have died over the past two years fighting alongside extremists in Syria and Iraq.

The first person convicted in Canada of seeking to join an overseas terrorist group was Mohamed Hersi, 28.

He was sentenced in July 2014 to 10 years in prison.

Prosecutors said Hersi planned to join the Shebab, a Somali Islamist militia that has claimed responsibility for several attacks, including a commando assault on Nairobi’s Westgate shopping mall last year.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
16 years old...... And sentencing him to 25 years...... The store robbery id say hit him with the book, but for the errant thinking, you would think that being rehabilitated and counselled would be the answer.... Not retribution to the highest degree. Make him serve his time till he is 31 and release him back into society? Does that not sound wrong to anyone else?

Give him a couple of years (for robbery) and let him try and get something out of his 20's, those years are the most important to everyone's well being. At 16 years old he is not "lost", if he was 26 then yea id say **** him.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
Let's see. This delinquent robbed a store at knife-point with the intention of going to Turkey, then over to Syria. He wasn't going overseas to sight-see, he was going over with the plan of killing people. Oh, I forgot he also befriended the suspect of murdering a Canadian soldier. I think 25 years is just right. Or maybe not enough.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think its a mixture a sixteen year old kid gets twice what a twenty eight year old gets
why? Actually these guys are both in the category fro TREASON. We have troops on
the ground and they are Canadians going to fight for the enemy. As far as I know
treason is still eligible for the death penalty is it not? Military transgressions are different
from civilian courts

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
My only worry is this will further push him into being radicalized, unless they do serious work with him while in prison. Much as I'm all for throwing the book at him for the robbery, instead of the added time for his plans, actually show him what would have happened had he gone. Have him sit with the refugees to learn what is REALLY going on over there. Make him build homes for homeless people, do community service, hell, make him go be with war vets coming back and learn their stories so he realizes what he was joining up for wasn't anything like he was likely told.

Someone who is older knows better, but kids are lured sometimes by manipulative people who are good at making them believe things like their parents are wrong and their country is evil.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Most of what I have read about the young people being recruited by ISIS, they have come from homes/families that are not abusive or needy. so what is it that makes them want to fight against the values and principles that Canadians hold?
I might be able to understand it somewhat if it were kids raised in dire poverty with no hope of a future, maybe young people who have joined gangs, the uneducated and deprived. But what do kids raised in a middle class society have to be so bitter about that they will join a savage group like ISIS?
It has been reported that ISIS convinces them that they are fighting cruelty and inequality in the mid-eastern countries. Maybe I can see that as a motivation. But most young people nowadays don't seem very concerned with conditions outside of their own realm.
Anybody got ideas about the 'why'?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Most of what I have read about the young people being recruited by ISIS, they have come from homes/families that are not abusive or needy. so what is it that makes them want to fight against the values and principles that Canadians hold?
I might be able to understand it somewhat if it were kids raised in dire poverty with no hope of a future, maybe young people who have joined gangs, the uneducated and deprived. But what do kids raised in a middle class society have to be so bitter about that they will join a savage group like ISIS?
It has been reported that ISIS convinces them that they are fighting cruelty and inequality in the mid-eastern countries. Maybe I can see that as a motivation. But most young people nowadays don't seem very concerned with conditions outside of their own realm.
Just imagine a teen age Megahurtz......scrambled as he is.....

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
16 years old...... And sentencing him to 25 years...... The store robbery id say hit him with the book, but for the errant thinking, you would think that being rehabilitated and counselled would be the answer.... Not retribution to the highest degree. Make him serve his time till he is 31 and release him back into society? Does that not sound wrong to anyone else?

Give him a couple of years (for robbery) and let him try and get something out of his 20's, those years are the most important to everyone's well being. At 16 years old he is not "lost", if he was 26 then yea id say **** him.

Executing him would be a better idea. Prevent a repeat offence.
Despite what social workers like to tell you some people are just evil and cannot be rehabilitated.

Just looking for Adventure. the bubble wrap society is too boring.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Some of us were trouble for our parents but nothing like this punk

Canadian teen is country's second person convicted of seeking to join Isis
Parents of the boy turned him in to police over concerns he had become radicalized by the Islamic State and he was convicted of a terrorist offense

A Canadian teenager has become the second person in the country to be convicted of a terrorist offense for seeking to fly overseas and join an extremist group.

The immigrant parents of the 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named under a Canadian law protecting minors, had turned him in to police over concerns he had become radicalized by the Islamic State group.

He was prosecuted under a 2013 law that criminalized attempts to embed with Isis or other banned organizations.

He was also convicted of robbing a convenience store at knife-point in October 2014 with the intention of using the C$2,200 in stolen funds to buy a plane ticket to Turkey and then cross over into Syria – which authorities said amounted to an offense for the benefit or at the direction of a terrorist group.

According to police, he had also befriended the suspect in last October’s killing of a Canadian soldier in a rural Quebec hit and run, days before a gunman shot dead a ceremonial guard in Ottawa and stormed parliament.

Sentencing is set for January. He faces up to 25 years in prison.

Police say more than 100 Canadians have joined the ranks of Isis in Syria and Iraq.

At least a dozen men and women in their teens or 20s have attempted to make the trip so far this year.

Six Canadians are also believed to have died over the past two years fighting alongside extremists in Syria and Iraq.

The first person convicted in Canada of seeking to join an overseas terrorist group was Mohamed Hersi, 28.

He was sentenced in July 2014 to 10 years in prison.

Prosecutors said Hersi planned to join the Shebab, a Somali Islamist militia that has claimed responsibility for several attacks, including a commando assault on Nairobi’s Westgate shopping mall last year.
i understand a psych assessment is in progress before sentacing,and i am certain there may be some question of mental illness,as the little information provided,is indicative this may be a possibility.this once again brings into question how the information was collected,and law enforcement strageties to deal with mental illness,which i understand is nil and can be at the discrepency of detachments or something like that.

i for one am very interested in information audiiting this case

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Executing him would be a better idea. Prevent a repeat offence.
Despite what social workers like to tell you some people are just evil and cannot be rehabilitated.

I agree that people cannot and will not change but we owe it to ourselves to at least, try. Even if its just once.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Instead of arresting him they should have just let him go.