Missed budget targets not my fault: Tory

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
how shiny pony of him. :lol:

TORONTO - Mayor John Tory insists he’s not to blame for city bureaucrats missing their budget targets.

With the city’s 2016 operating budget process set to start next week, Tory admitted his request for all departments, agencies, boards and commissions to come up with 2% in “efficiencies” was “less successful” than he had hoped.

“Some departments did the 2%, some departments did 1%, some departments did nothing,” Tory told a Toronto Sun editorial board on Tuesday. “So, if you said to me, ‘Well, am I going to put somebody in jail or fire somebody?’ At this stage, no. We’re just going to go back at this and go about it a different way which is to start to go much more surgically into all of what has to be looked at for the forthcoming year.

“They didn’t come back and say, ‘No, we refuse to do it.’ They came back and said, ‘We can’t.’ And I guess I know from my own past experience ... that ‘I can’t’ is not an answer.”

But Tory balked when asked what the missed budget targets say about his leadership as mayor.

mo roon

Missed budget targets not my fault: Tory | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun