Here's what a PM that's NOT racist looks like

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Take notes helmet heads.

Trudeau lays out plan for new relationship with indigenous people

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau laid out his plan to reset Canada's relationship with its indigenous people during his address to a group of First Nations leaders in Gatineau, Que.

"It is time for a renewed, nation-to-nation relationship with First Nations peoples, one that understands that the constitutionally guaranteed rights of First Nations in Canada are not an inconvenience but rather a sacred obligation," said Trudeau to loud applause from First Nations chiefs this morning.

Hundreds of chiefs and other First Nations delegates are meeting at an annual three-day gathering organized by the Assembly of First Nations.

The prime minister said his government would immediately move to act on several of the promises his party made during the election campaign, including a process to launch a national public inquiry into missing and murdered indigenous women which he said was "already underway."

"We have made this inquiry a priority for our government because those touched by this national tragedy have waited long enough," said Trudeau. "The victims deserve justice, their families an opportunity to be heard and to heal."

Trudeau lays out plan for new relationship with indigenous people - Politics - CBC News

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
He's a typical Liberal.

All talk, big show and big spending and lotsa debt but never any results.

Nothing new here!!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It would be great if we actually treated them like nations.

Knowing what we know of English and French imperialism, we should be thankful they weren't wiped off the face of the earth long ago and that residential schools were the worse of it. I'm surprised Canada even apologized.

As an aside, I don't know about Trudeau, but I do know at least one Liberal MP who had little understanding of the importance of promoting indigenous cultural freedom. So much will depend not just on Trudeau himself, but on the composition of Parliament.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Wh did the French or the English wipe out?

A few indigenous peoples did become extinct. The British were likewise known for handing tuberculosis-infested blankets to indigenus people with the express intent of killing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Take notes helmet heads.

Trudeau lays out plan for new relationship with indigenous people

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau laid out his plan to reset Canada's relationship with its indigenous people during his address to a group of First Nations leaders in Gatineau, Que.

Trudeau lays out plan for new relationship with indigenous people - Politics - CBC News

I definitely agree with further investigation as long as there are unanswered questions and missing people, but I am wondering how many answers our $40 million is going to buy.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
The RCMP have already told the government long ago that only a small number died along the highway, most were in or on the reserves and their own people are responsible for most of the deaths. I do not have much to do with the natives in my family anymore but if i could take you on a little trip to the reserve for a week or so, you would have a very different attitude about natives when you came back, that i guarantee.
I got totally sick of hearing someone screaming, then someone called the RCMP, next thing i would hear is "get off our land Cops!"
There were wrong things done to many different peoples in this country, not just natives. Let it fuking go, we cannot afford this political bullchit and we do not need to ruin more natives with money for nothing.
Nothing said about the Chief's salaries lately eh?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Knowing what we know of English and French imperialism, we should be thankful they weren't wiped off the face of the earth long ago and that residential schools were the worse of it. I'm surprised Canada even apologized.
Have you been told yet today, hater? What you know of the English and French would fit on the head of a pin. The residential schools were actually modeled off the orphanage system in Britain. Although I'm not sure if the victims of the residential schools were ever shipped off as free farm labour to the local farms. But abuse, both physical and emotional, was no different between a British orphanage and a Canadian residential school.
The major difference between the two was one tried to remove the Native culture from the Native peoples and the other pretty much guaranteed your status in the British caste system to be the lowest of the low.

As for the OP, what a steaming pile of crapola. The Liberal party's history with the FN isn't exactly something to brag about. The simple fact is, immigrants and refugees will receive far more attention and financial help than the Native peoples will because every single federal party since Mulroney's PCs panders to the immigrant vote. Some more openly than others.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

As an aside, I don't know about Trudeau, but I do know at least one Liberal MP who had little understanding of the importance of promoting indigenous cultural freedom. So much will depend not just on Trudeau himself, but on the composition of Parliament.

As I keep saying, if it weren't for French and British imperialism Canada wouldn't exist today.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The Liberals have been in power for most of our history since Confederation so an awful lot of the bad stuff that we see in our country is a result of their creation or neglect.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
well, with about only 20 percent of the indian money actually gets to the indians
so prolly any increases won't make it down the pipe

cronies are NOT a race
except to the bank

exstinkt indians?
they say about 250 MILLION were exstinkted before their natural time since colombus
boy, god that gives out real estate is goode

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It would be great if we actually treated them like nations.

They are not nations. They should have exactly the same rights as any other Canadian. No more no less.

IF trudOwe is prepared to give natives any more rights than the rest of the population has then he is indeed a racist.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
They are not nations. They should have exactly the same rights as any other Canadian. No more no less.

I don't care if they are nations or not and it should be up to them to decide if they want to be (just like its up to Kweebeck to decide its own future). My issue is with the silliness of being a quasi-nation accepting or demanding all the benefits of nationhood without the responsibilities. The aboriginals are like teenagers that won't look after themselves yet complain about what's put on the dinner table for them.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister