Liberals back away from vow to keep deficits under $10 billion

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
just to keep the metrics all nice and fresh.

Andrew Coyne Verified account ‏@acoyne

Well well well.

The finance minister is highlighting three economic priorities for the new government — but the Liberal campaign vow to cap annual deficits at $10 billion is apparently no longer among them.

Bill Morneau avoided a question Wednesday when asked about the party’s promise to keep annual shortfalls under the ceiling.

Instead, he told reporters that the government will focus on its election pledges to invest in infrastructure, lower the federal debt-to-GDP ratio and balance the books in the fourth year of their mandate.

“We’re going to continue to talk about those three aspects of our promises because we do want to focus on growth,” Morneau said following a caucus meeting in Ottawa.

“Those were the three things we talked about in the campaign — those are the three things we’re going to continue to talk about.”

The Liberals won the October election on a platform that pledged to spend billions on infrastructure projects, which the party argues will revive the lethargic economy and create jobs.

“With the Liberal plan, the federal government will have a modest short-term deficit of less than $10 billion in each of the next two fiscal years,” the Liberal platform says.

“After the next two fiscal years, the deficit will decline and our investment plan will return Canada to a balanced budget in 2019-20.”

During the campaign, Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau vowed to respect the $10-billion upper limit for deficits in 2016-17 and 2017-18 unless the economic situation got “radically worse.”

Morneau also sidestepped a reporter’s question Wednesday asking whether the current low-growth environment qualified as a major economic shock.

The finance minister’s remarks came a day after the parliamentary budget office warned Ottawa was on track to run medium-term shortfalls billions of dollars higher than the Liberal forecasts.

mo

http://ipolitics.ca/2015/12/02/liberals-back-away-from-vow-to-keep-deficits-under-10-billion/ …

John Groves ‏@jfgroves

John Groves Retweeted Andrew Coyne

It will be easier to count the promises they keep.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I liked George Stefanopolus's comment about Bill Clinton's days as President...

"He kept every promise he intended to keep."

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Trudeau's campaign promises were so wild and unrealistic, the voters should have known they were bogus. Or did they know and not care?
By piling a 10 Billion $ deficit on top of the existing debt, it would be impossible to balance the books in 4 years. Oh but I forgot - 'the budget will balance itself'!
Batten down the hatches, folks; we'll be paying more than a pound of flesh once the Liberals get into their spending.

Is anybody missing Harper yet? :)

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Of course 'we' do - because we couldn't have all the greedy bastards pointing out welfare recipients and homeless people as the source of all evil while politicians and corporate friends rob the whole kitty

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
All we're hearing from the Liberals these days - "We're looking into it", "We're working on a plan", "We will assess the situation and work out a plan", "We want to get it right". Blah, Blah, Blah! No solid answers, no firm commitments.

I think they are beginning to realize that they are in big trouble and don't know what to do about it. By making so many promised they put themselves in a position where they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I always liked the statement that people get the government they voted for. Unfortunately the rest of us are going to be forced to suffer under the same mismanagement for the next three years and eleven months unless trudOwe keeps the one important promise he made. To introduce recall legislation. It can't happen soon enough.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I always liked the statement that people get the government they voted for. Unfortunately the rest of us are going to be forced to suffer under the same mismanagement for the next three years and eleven months unless trudOwe keeps the one important promise he made. To introduce recall legislation. It can't happen soon enough.

I doubt if four years will be enough for the voters to get the idea that they've been had. They aren't that bright.
First Nations is all hopeful about what Trudeau is going to do for them. Let's just see about that! I wonder how they'll feel in four years? Something more to add to the long list of broken treaties?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

There must be something wrong with my cognition. The way I read that sentence, we end up with a 20 billion dollar deficit after two years. No?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

There must be something wrong with my cognition. The way I read that sentence, we end up with a 20 billion dollar deficit after two years. No?
Yes, it said "each of the next two fiscal years", but the Gliberals will TRY to keep it down a bit apparently.