Alberta will transform up to 30% of electricity to renewables by 2030

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Alberta's electricity shift to generate 'up to' 30% from renewables by 2030

Alberta's electricity system will have to change drastically if the province is to meet the targets outlined under the government's new climate change strategy, a move the province says will happen steadily over the next 15 years.

"It is no secret that our climate leadership plan lays out a significant challenge for our electricity industry," Energy Minister Margaret McCuaig-Boyd said.

"But it is a challenge we can rise to, together."

Alberta's electricity shift to generate 'up to' 30% from renewables by 2030 - Calgary - CBC News

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Of course they will. If they don't Notley says she will go to jail.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That's more like it, by the time that date arrives this 'promise' will have turned to vapor.

Either that or kill off a lot of people so it is easier to reach that benchmark.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Only 30%? How unambitious.

Saskatchewan aims to get half its power from renewable energy by 2030
Premier Brad Wall says more wind, hydro and solar projects coming

Stefani Langenegger · CBC News
November 18, 2015

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Threads like this remind me of Ayn Rand's "Return of the Primitive" a great, and now prescient, book.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Yup and its gonna cost us big time. My hubby and I are close to retirement and we honestly don't know if we can afford to stay in our home, even with the mortgage paid in full. Between city taxes going up on average 5-6% a year, and now an increase in carbon taxes which means an increase in transportation costs which means an increase in food costs and an increase in electrical costs and, because they're shutting down our clean coal power plants heating our homes will get even more expensive as well. Short-sighted? You bet. Hopefully in 4 years when we get a new gov't we can do some reversing. (my bold won't come off - dang).

JMHO

Only 30%? How unambitious.

Saskatchewan aims to get half its power from renewable energy by 2030
Premier Brad Wall says more wind, hydro and solar projects coming

Stefani Langenegger · CBC News
November 18, 2015

Good for you. I hope that Alberta eventually gets there too, but I'm willing to be Wall is being practical about how its being done. Not so the NDP. They would have shut things down yesterday if they could get away with it.

JMHO

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
SK isn't going to stop growing anytime soon. Growing wind and solar backed by already established gas along with industry and population makes sense. We have the best wind and sunny 90% of the time so why not. We can pull it off. Others can't.

It's when you have to shut down powerplants before their service life is over and replace everything that is going to be hard for other provinces.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Look at petros shilling for renewables.

It's a beautiful thing.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They are nothing new in SK. 1976 was a long time ago. Before you were hatched, correct?

Who doesn't admire solar powered jackpumps? Besides, ON is footing the bill with Subsidies.