Trudeau on climate change: ‘Indigenous peoples have known for thousands of years how

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Trudeau on climate change: ‘Indigenous peoples have known for thousands of years how to care for our planet’

Trudeau on climate change: ‘Indigenous peoples have known for thousands of years how to care for our planet’ | National Post

Really? Killing the entire neighbors tribe including the babies, took care of the planet? Chasing several hundred Buffalo over a cliff and eating perhaps 10 took care of the planet? My people are just other humans, it appears you did not know that.
C'mon Trudeau, it appears that the title has gone to your head, geez, I am embarrassed!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
along with draining entire swamps to gain land to plant on, and clear cutting forests to plant, and when the soil is shot because they didn't practice crop rotation, moving and clear cutting again. I just LOVE how the simple minded spout simple minded bullshyte when it comes to First Nations practices.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Actually, some nations were pretty "eco-friendly", if you'll excuse the term. Some were not. Kind of like some societies today are better than others in some things and worse in other things.
Welcome to the world and Homo sapiens.

And would dead buffalo not be good fertilizer for trees and bushes to grow in? How about beavers creating swamps and whatnot? (Or at least until Europeans came along and decimated the beaver population because they wanted to wear stylish furs). How about trainloads of Europeans shooting buffalo herds for sport?

Like I said, welcome to the world of Homo sapiens.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Any statement about "indigenous peoples" is necessarily false as regards at least half of them.

What about the indigenous peoples of Eurasia?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Sounds like that Trudeau comment has stirred up a lot of National Post readers. If so I guess it was fairly accurate considering how little most readers of that right wing rag know about world history (or pretty much anything for that matter). And I expect that Trudeau was referring to Canada's indigenous peoples who for the most part did live in harmony with their environment.

As for the buffalo jump how did you arrive at the conclusion that only 10 out of a hundred buffalo were used for food? The food collected at the jump had to last several hundred people months or perhaps even a year since it was an event that could not be repeated every day. Almost certainly all of the buffalo that were killed were used for food and other uses.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
By today's standards and they were hardly more technically advanced than Stone Age man

Judgeing by the massive and numerous ancient ruins that cover the planet both above and below the water line it isn't hard to advance to a stone age. Certainly humans right now are dabbling with that very prospect.
My point is that the planet and its life forms do not care and will be replaced as they have been countless times in the past so all this blather about mother nature is just that blather foaming ****ing blather.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Sounds like that Trudeau comment has stirred up a lot of National Post readers. If so I guess it was fairly accurate considering how little most readers of that right wing rag know about world history (or pretty much anything for that matter). And I expect that Trudeau was referring to Canada's indigenous peoples who for the most part did live in harmony with their environment.

As for the buffalo jump how did you arrive at the conclusion that only 10 out of a hundred buffalo were used for food? The food collected at the jump had to last several hundred people months or perhaps even a year since it was an event that could not be repeated every day. Almost certainly all of the buffalo that were killed were used for food and other uses.

For one reason, there were no native villages or groups numbering several hundreds on our prairies. The conclusions i arrive at are mostly based in the stories of my people, who are natives, or did you not know that you arrogant dork? I am just not one to BS about natives or whites.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
...a mouth

My mother told me half a centruy ago that my mouth would be the end of me.
I still don't know what she meant, maybe something I would eat.

Owe look it's 18:59 time to crack the seal.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Nuts. Our gov'ts spent money so our indigenous folks went to schools. Yours just got stuck on the Rez. :D

I just found great humor in... I think he was talking about Canada's indigenous were eco-friendly.... as opposed to eco-unfriendly United States indigenous.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Indigenous peoples were also much better at killing themselves which could also be good for the environment.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
The Press Gallery on Power Play tonight expressed concern that Trudeau is being ambiguous in promising to meet a higher level of reductions in greenhouse gases emissions and while he tells his plans on how to achieve his goals, he has not actually set a goal in terms of numbers. First of all he should be setting a realistic goal of what to aim for.
They also pointed out that the last three goals Canada has set have not been reached.
It all sounds like a lot of dithering. While the intentions are good, is anything really being accomplished?