Does Canada Really Need The Monarchy?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
There are pros and cons concerning monarchies as there are about just about anything.

Advantages and Disadvantages of Monarchy | OccupyTheory

19 Foremost Advantages and Disadvantages of Monarchy | Green Garage

etc.

Our monarchy does extremely little in governing. So what does it do? Not much.

10 Things the Queen of England Still Does for Canada | Mental Floss

Personally, I think if we really need a figurehead for Canada, rather than having the monarchy, we would do just as well or better with the beaver;

or grizzly;

and have a democratic republic for government.

Wiki has a partial list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_republic

and another list

Democratic Republic Governments

and there is also

Switzerland's Government and Politics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_government_of_the_United_States

But it would cost a wad of money to switch and take an awful lot of time, so we are stuck with the monarchy.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Does Canada REALLY need the Monarchy? No. Is the cost of replacing it worth it in the long run? I don't think so. Will it improve our Government? I doubt it very much.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
There are pros and cons concerning monarchies as there are about just about anything.

Advantages and Disadvantages of Monarchy | OccupyTheory

19 Foremost Advantages and Disadvantages of Monarchy | Green Garage

etc.

Our monarchy does extremely little in governing. So what does it do? Not much.

10 Things the Queen of England Still Does for Canada | Mental Floss

Personally, I think if we really need a figurehead for Canada, rather than having the monarchy, we would do just as well or better with the beaver;

or grizzly;

and have a democratic republic for government.

Wiki has a partial list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_republic

and another list

Democratic Republic Governments

and there is also

Switzerland's Government and Politics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_government_of_the_United_States

But it would cost a wad of money to switch and take an awful lot of time, so we are stuck with the monarchy.
Nice beaver.lol

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Does Canada REALLY need the Monarchy? No. Is the cost of replacing it worth it in the long run? I don't think so. Will it improve our Government? I doubt it very much.
Pretty much my thoughts .

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Let us look at it from a different angle shall we? Canada, and of course the USA, are arguably the most successful free states in the history of earth. Look at our governments, no others have freed so many people, and that all started with the British Monarchy and their, as well as our, changing as we grew.
But to be quick to suggest that many of our institutions are false flags is ridiculous.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
No we don't need the monarchy. But we do need to keep some of our history and traditions and the Monarchy is part of those.

Let us look at it from a different angle shall we? Canada, and of course the USA, are arguably the most successful free states in the history of earth. Look at our governments, no others have freed so many people, and that all started with the British Monarchy and their, as well as our, changing as we grew.
But to be quick to suggest that many of our institutions are false flags is ridiculous.

Well, the U.S. became the U.S. by freeing itself from the British. The British enslaved a large part of the world at one time but through time they evolved into a freedom promoting nation.
The British Monarchy has a history of much brutality but that's all ancient history now. They are a figurehead even in their own country.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually I was never in favor of the Monarchy until recent times. Having a Governor General
the Queens rep gives a sober second thought with a small measure of powers it kept
Harper in line even a little on obstacle away from doing what ever the hell he pleased.
Therefore I have changed my mind it makes hasty decisions a little more difficult to force
down our throat

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Certainly won't change much. But I think every now and again somebody should compare the costs of having it vs. the cost of changing it and determine which is the cheaper alternative and over whatever number of years. I think in the long long term, we should be a republic.

Actually I was never in favor of the Monarchy until recent times. Having a Governor General
the Queens rep gives a sober second thought with a small measure of powers it kept
Harper in line even a little on obstacle away from doing what ever the hell he pleased.
Therefore I have changed my mind it makes hasty decisions a little more difficult to force
down our throat

Harper never did and was never going to do anything that was illegal. He was not a dictator as much as some of the ignorant lefties would like to have you believe. And I don't think the GG or the Queen ever stopped any legislation that was duly passed by the House of Commons and rubber stamped by the Senate.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm pretty sure with the advent of the telephone that Canada could operate just as smoothly by having Provincial Governments or the Federal Government but not both as neither is currently overworked.
The UK hasn't needed the Royals since the Magna Carta.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well, that is what I have said from the start. Then you decided to groan about democratic republics after I mentioned they would be better.
So that is why I started this thread. Have at it. You seem to think monarchies are great, I do not and posted pros and cons. There is a list of D.R.s in the OP. Have at it.

down our throat
Ruthless dictatorship could never happen under a monarchy right? lol

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
This was just a troll thread anyway
As opposed to a thread inviting people (mainly Gerry) to compare forms of gov'ts and compare gov'ts with other gov'ts?

aawww You are still eating lemons because I pointed out your trolling. So you decided to get revenge and call my thread "trolling". There there. Happy now? Your owie is gone?

erm I am not going to kiss your owie all better.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
No country ever needed a monarchy any time any where.
I agree.

Something I find really ridiculous is that in Pakistan, people used to actually inherit political party leadership. Maybe they still do.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
No we don't need the monarchy. But we do need to keep some of our history and traditions and the Monarchy is part of those.

Getting rid of it doesnt change our history. It doesnt mean forgetting. Its just moving on. Many countries have scrapped their own monarchies and it hasnt changed their identity or history.

As for traditions I never cared for the idea of doing something simply because it has always been that way. It needs to serve some sort of purpose. This one does not. There never should have been a monarchy in the first place.