Syrian refugees relieved they won't end up in Saskatchewan

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Syrian refugees relieved they won't end up in Saskatchewan

BEIRUT -- Syrian refugees expected to arrive in Canada were consoled by the fact that they are not welcome to live in Saskatchewan following Premier Brad Wall’s concerns that some of them may be terrorists looking to harm Canada.

Thousands of men, women and children living in refugee camps explained that they would be much happier in a place where they wouldn’t be viewed with added suspicion by politicians, and even happier not having to endure the frozen, apocalyptic hellscape that is Canada’s prairies.

“I would like to live in a province where the Premier understands that I'm fleeing terrorism and not a part of it,” explained Samina Nada, a mother of four who has been living in a crowded Lebanon refugee camp for two years. “Also, I would feel desolate and alone with only endless prairie to look at all day. How can people live there? The closest bookstore is two hours away.”

Other refugees were much harsher on Canada’s rectangular province.

“I would rather endure another aerial bombardment than watch another re-run of “Corner Gas””, lamented Basim Kareem who fled Homs when Syrian government forces began to shell the city. “There’s only so much I can converse about potash and wheat. And let’s be honest, the only thing more humiliating than living in a province with a CFL team incapable of playing football, is living in a province where people actually care about CFL football.”

Saskatchewan residents, meanwhile, can’t help but view this latest development as a missed opportunity.

“It’s too bad,” said a sad Georgina Fox from Lumsden. “I was really looking forward to trying the kefta at Boston Pizza.”

Syrian refugees relieved they won't end up in Saskatchewan - The Beaverton - North America's Trusted Source of News

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
They would probably change their minds if they knew the warm and empathetic Petroglyph lived there. Just think of their disappointment when they realize they will miss his welcoming smile.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I'd rather live in Saskatoon than Toronto any day of the week. No Pride Day Parades.. i'd think Muslim refugees would be more comfortable there than in the post structural, city without rules or morals.. the City of 'Yes'.. of Toronto these days.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
One would think they would be used to living in a flat wasteland.And a bookstore two hours away is better than the no bookstore they have now.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I love to make fun of Saskaistan because my wife and my girlfriend are both from there but I must admit, I'd take it over BC in a heartbeat.