Justin Trudeau, premiers seek to unify Canada's message on climate change

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Justin Trudeau, premiers seek to unify Canada's message on climate change

With a first ministers meeting set to take place in Ottawa today just one week before the start of the Paris climate talks, a number of premiers are reminding Justin Trudeau he's not swooping in at the 11th hour to save the day.

In fact, some are voicing concern the new prime minister may "fiddle around" with plans already in place.

Environment Minister Catherine McKenna reiterated a key Liberal campaign pledge on Friday: "We promise to provide national leadership to take action on climate change, put a price on carbon and reduce carbon pollution," she told attendees of the Canada 2020 conference on Friday.

Earlier in the day, Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard reminded journalists at the same conference that the provinces have been showing leadership on this file for years.

"I am very happy to be working with the federal government and colleagues around the table, but let's resist the temptation to start from scratch."

Cap and trade

Quebec and Ontario formally joined with California this year to participate in a cap-and-trade market. That's where jurisdictions put quotas on emissions and companies that wish to exceed theirs must purchase credits from companies not fully utilizing theirs. The intention is to create a financial penalty for emissions-intensive companies and a corresponding reward for those finding more environmentally friendly ways of doing business.

Carbon Tax

On Sunday, Alberta Premier Rachel Notley announced her province would introduce a carbon tax. Starting in 2017, the price will be $20 a tonne of carbon emissions, rising to $30 a tonne in 2018.

That cost will be borne by industry and consumers alike.

"This is the day we stop denying there is a problem and this is the day we do our part," Notley said as part of her announcement outlining how Albertans will pay for and benefit from the policy.

British Columbia introduced a carbon tax in 2008, and that province's premier, Christy Clark, hopes the federal government isn't going to now start "fiddling around" with it.

"We have what the World Bank says is the most effective carbon pricing anywhere in the world," she said in an interview with CBC News.

Justin Trudeau, premiers seek to unify Canada's message on climate change - Politics - CBC News

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Please explain how a $120 tank of gasoline burns cleaner than a $100 tank of gasoline over the same time frame.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
"Today's announcement by Premier Notley that Alberta will put an economy-wide price on carbon, phase out coal and increase its commitment to renewable energy and energy efficiency represents an inspiring addition to the legacy of leadership and forward thinking action by Canadian provinces to speed our transition to a low carbon economy. This is also another powerful signal — well-timed on the eve of the Paris negotiations — that humanity is beginning to win our struggle to solve the climate crisis.

"We do need to win faster. And so I encourage Premier Notley, and all of Alberta, to follow this first step with continued bold action to transition away from fossil fuels."

— Al Gore, Former US Vice President, Chairman of The Climate Reality Project

Alberta releases breakthrough climate plan (statement)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yup, refit coal powerplants to NG and then pump th CO2 into light crude plays to pump even more oil.

Awesome idea conceptualized in SK and brought to fruition.

SK is already exporting CO2 to Alberta by pipeline. Good ole offest and cap n trade for cash money.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
JT could use PET's method of getting cooperation. "If you don't do what I want you to do, you won't get any favours or future considerations from me".

I understand that the Premiers are all going to the Conference with JT. Who will be in charge of the country while every leader is abroad? What would happen if a disaster occurs? Who will take charge?
In the event of a terrorist attack it would be left to the RCMP and other law enforcers to do as they thought best. Then be criticized later for their actions.
I don't think this is a good plan at all! I think JT just needs the others there to do the talking which he is not very good at on his own.
The hag, mouthy old Wynne will no doubt have a lot to say.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I'm anxious to hear Brad Wall give Justin and Wynne what for.....again.

I think Brad is going to behave himself this time, the public is too much ga ga over climate change.

It will be interesting to hear Sask plan for climate change.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He is dead against carbon tax scams.

We already have a plan and it doesn't require a fake tax to fund. We just get Wynne to keep subsidizing whirly gigs and go 50% renewable on ON's dime.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Saskatchewan is definitely going to be the odd man out but I respect Mr. Wall because he's always come off as level headed and it's always good to have opposing views that articulated in a responsible way.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Saskatchewan is definitely going to be the odd man out but I respect Mr. Wall because he's always come off as level headed and it's always good to have opposing views that articulated in a responsible way.

He is the best Premier in Canada. A hard nose centerist who can manage money without relying on debt or carbon scams to pay the bills.

Ideal man to put in Ottawa someday.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Here's Canada's message. We're going to utterly f*ck ourselves over because the puny amount of GHGs we produce are what's going to end life on this planet as we know it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
For the time being, the Canadian delegation will stick with the target proposed by Stephen Harper's previous Conservative government: a 30 per cent reduction below 2005 levels by 2030
Justin is just a caretaker PM?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
"On Sunday, Alberta Premier Rachel Notley announced her province would introduce a carbon tax. Starting in 2017, the price will be $20 a tonne of carbon emissions, rising to $30 a tonne in 2018.

That cost will be borne by industry and consumers alike." Well, DUH. There IS no-one else to charge for the cost. That is what the Naive Dopey Parasites platform REALLY is: create grossly expensive messes and regress society back far enough that it will take decades to recover from. And that is just a small part of politicians' ecoplans in general. And the banks and whatnot just love it because everyone will be borrowing even more. Owning debt is massive power.