Provincial support exceeds Canada's Syrian refugee target: immigration minister

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
'I have never felt so patriotic as a Canadian as I am today,' John McCallum says

Immigration Minister John McCallum stands with a group of recent Syrian refugees in Toronto on Friday night.

Provincial support exceeds Canada's Syrian refugee target: immigration minister

Premiers across the country have indicated how many Syrian refugees their provinces will commit to taking in, and the total exceeds the federal government's goal of 25,000, Immigration Minister John McCallum said Friday.

In Ontario alone, the goal is to welcome 10,000 Syrians by the end of 2016.

"A commitment doesn't mean those people's feet on Canadian soil, but it's an immensely good start to have such enthusiasm, not only in words, but in numbers," McCallum said.

The minister was speaking at an event in Toronto hosted by Humanity First, an international humanitarian relief organization, where he was joined by other speakers with expertise in the topic of refugee resettlement. All proceeds from the event will go toward assisting with the resettlement of Syrian refugees in Canada.

McCallum did not provide any details about the government's resettlement plan, which the Liberals have promised to release in full on Tuesday. He would only say that Canada will bring refugees here quickly, and make sure to get the program right.

"We will give every possible consideration to concerns based on security," he said.

McCallum also expressed how proud he is to be involved in the Syrian refugee file.

"I am an economist and I often deal with what you might call dollars-and-cents or bread-and-butter issues, but this one is different," he said.

"This one is about values, this one is more emotional, and this one leads me to say I have never felt so patriotic as a Canadian as I am today, to be involved in bringing 25,000 people from the direst conditions on the planet here to our blessed country of Canada."

Provincial support exceeds Canada's Syrian refugee target: immigration minister - Toronto - CBC News

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
"Paris Attackers Fought In Syria, Trained In Israel: Report"
Paris Attackers Fought In Syria, Trained In Israel: Report

maybe at some level above the street the brass know syrians aren't the problem
they are the victims

tho likely if we stop bombing syria, we will get False flagged no matter what we do
there is a common denominator to a lot of these "terror" incidents

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Is this where I post the negative comments on Justine's plans fom Wall and Clark?

Wall said he is concerned the security screening process could be undermined by expediting the process to bring 25,000 refugees to Canada by the end of year.
"Usually one miss out of 25,000 would be acceptable for government, for business or almost any organization. I don’t know that it is in this instance," Wall said.
Wall said that while the security screening process was perhaps "took too long" under Stephen Harper's leadership, it should not be "collapsed" into 45 days for 25,000 people.
He added that the government's goal shouldn't be driven by a "deadline" but should be focused on safety and effective resettlement.
"I just think we need to get it right with respect to security and settlement, and then be the welcoming country that Canada is. And we'd like to be the welcoming province that Saskatchewan is as well," said Wall.
Wall said that Trudeau's goal is "laudable," and Saskatchewan has increased the amount of refugees that it would be willing to accept, but "we just got to make sure we do it right."

C. Premier Christy Clark also said Monday that the federal government needs to ensure that the security of Canadians is the chief concern.
"They need to make sure that their processes are working, that those security checks are being done properly and then, as they can, invite those refugees to come," Clark said.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Oooo 10,000 for Ontario. I wonder how many the ol' Wynned sock and girlfriend will be personally sponsoring? We still have many disabled people waiting on long lists for subsidized housing in Ontario. How much you wanna bet that list will be10,000 names longer and every one of those 10,000 names will come before any disabled Canadian that's been waiting for years.

It's just too bad the left-tards in this country didn't bust their a$$es this hard to try and solve the homeless problem and lack of affordable housing for the disabled. It's not like various govts at all levels haven't been acutely aware of the problem for years and could have had some kind of plan to deal with it. But nope, a new flavor of the month crops up that Trudeau and the rest of the left-tards can take total advantage of to show the world how loving and progressive we are, coming up with all kinds of solutions that could work for the people who are already here but aren't visible enough within the global community and therefore don't rate any "let's bust our a$$es" help.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The homeless problem is an addiction problem. As for disabled, yeah, there are massive holes to be filled.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Where did the end of 2016 come into play. I thought they promised us these refugees by the end of 2015 ?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
"Paris Attackers Fought In Syria, Trained In Israel: Report"
Paris Attackers Fought In Syria, Trained In Israel: Report

maybe at some level above the street the brass know syrians aren't the problem
they are the victims

tho likely if we stop bombing syria, we will get False flagged no matter what we do
there is a common denominator to a lot of these "terror" incidents

What does this even mean?

Really? You need to ask?