Conservative $2.3B surplus turns out to be a $3B deficit

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Maybe they just forgot to carry the one..

Fiscal update erases projected surplus, as government books now expect $3B budget deficit

The new Liberal government has gone over the books and says it is likely inheriting lots of red ink.

The last Conservative budget forecasted a $2.3-billion surplus for this year, but Finance Canada now says it's more likely the year will end with a $3-billion deficit — and that's before Liberal campaign promises are costed in.

As the oil shock rolled through the country, business investment plummeted, shrinking the economy in the first half and dampening growth in the second half.

Finance Canada still predicts the economy will eke out growth in 2015 — but only at an average of 1.2 per cent. The April budget by the Conservatives had predicted two per cent growth for the year.

"The simple truth is that the economy has not performed as well as projected in the last budget," Finance Minister Bill Morneau told a news conference Friday morning in Ottawa. "Despite the economic situation we've inherited … we have a plan to deal with it."

Fiscal update erases projected surplus, as government books now expect $3B budget deficit - Business - CBC News

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Well this is a surprise. This has never happened before where an incoming gubmint says they previous gubmint was cooking the books.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
So knowing that, why wouldn't you listen to those who suggested as such prior to the election?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I come back after a week or so and see not much has changed; mental loss still sniveling about Harpy in brand new threads.
So what is your new thread count about Harpy up to now, flossy?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I come back after a week or so and see not much has changed; mental loss still sniveling about Harpy in brand new threads.
So what is your new thread count about Harpy up to now, flossy?

I make threads on various topics.

Feel free to ignore them if you don't like them.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
So knowing that, why wouldn't you listen to those who suggested as such prior to the election?

When a new government cooks ... I mean gets the books, they make it seem as bad as possible to give them 1) wiggle room to break inconvenient election promises and blame prior government, 2) wiggle room in which to hide their own financial incompetence. Only the ideologues will believe that these numbers are real and not slanted.

And since we are so concerned with deficits and knowing them in advance, how are the Ontario Lieberal finances doing Flossy?

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
You still can't admit they screwed up, can you?
They didn't screw up, the price of oil has remained lower than forecast, and thus job losses have changed the outcome. This not an example of cooking the books, but an example of a worsening economy.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The Liberals are already planning on failure!

Shades of 2008 America! Are you sure the Obama/Democrat Team left Canada?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I make threads on various topics.

Feel free to ignore them if you don't like them.
I do ignore most of them. But you tend to be somewhat prolific. As if the main page was made just for you to plug up with dozens of your little whinings about Harpy.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
They didn't screw up, the price of oil has remained lower than forecast, and thus job losses have changed the outcome. This not an example of cooking the books, but an example of a worsening economy.

Obviously.

But that only highlights the massive screwup in focusing on oil.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Happens all the time, you sit a couple of billion on the fridge get a beer slam the door and it's behind the icebox for a year or more till you get arround to looking for the spare house keys.