Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says Canadians needn't fear ISIS

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says Canadians needn't fear ISIS

www.youtube.com/watch?v=snQvorDn71A

Canada's new defence minister, Harjit Sajjan, says the country must contribute to the defeat of ISIS, but he rejected the idea that Canadians should be afraid of the jihadist organization.

"ISIS is a threat, no doubt about that. Should we fear it? No. The Canadian population should have full confidence in all the security services to keep us safe."

In an exclusive wide-ranging interview with CBC News, Sajjan said the government is in discussions over what role Canada will take in the fight against ISIS, but that there was no date yet for withdrawing Canada's fighter jets from the U.S.-led coalition in Syria and Iraq.

Asked whether the Canadian flights might continue to the end of the current commitment in March 2016, Sajjan said Canada is in discussions with its allies.

Pressed whether Canada has been asked to continue its contribution to the bombing mission, Sajjan again said he wanted "to make sure that we have good discussions with our allies before we make a decision."

The Department of National Defence said in a statement today that two Canadian fighter jets took part in coalition air strikes earlier in the day in support of Iraqi forces, striking an ISIS ammunitions cache near Sinjar in Iraq.

Capt. Kirk Sullivan said Canada's mission would continue "for the time being under the mandate previously directed by government."

"The Canadian Armed Forces stands ready to implement government of Canada direction when it comes and will liaise with coalition partners to investigate options, and transition our military operations in the region," Sullivan said.

Sajjan said that in confronting ISIS, there is more that can be done.

"We need to get better as an international coalition … better at looking at the threats early on, to making sure that we identify them early so they don't balloon into these big threats," he said.

"They were smaller at one time, we need to get better at identifying the subtle indicators so we might be able to have dealt with it diplomatically."

Training key to 'long-term solution'

Sajjan is a former military reservist who did three tours in Afghanistan and worked also with the U.S. part of the coalition.

He spent more than a decade with Vancouver's police, much of it as a detective.

Going forward, he reiterated Canada's experience with training other forces like Afghanistan's national army and police.

"When we look at fighting ISIS and the overall picture, it's not just strictly about the air campaign. Canada has a lot to offer, we want to make sure that anything we do as part of that is going to have a meaningful impact to the mission."

Many military experts say training efforts have been mostly ineffectual in combating ISIS, but Sajjan made it clear training will be part of Canada's future mission.

"Training is absolutely necessary if we're going to be looking at a long-term solution to this," he said.

On Syrian refugees, in spite of the ever-tightening deadline, the minister stuck to a recurring refrain from most of the new cabinet ministers:

"All the options are currently on the table, when the plan is in place we will make sure we inform everyone in a full and transparent way."

Sajjan said the military stands ready to "help" bring 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada before the new year.

"Absolutely, we'll be involved in a big venture like this," Sajjan said.

That could mean helping with security checks, transport and temporarily housing the refugees on military bases when they arrive in Canada.

Badass? 'Uh, no'

After the rookie MP won a seat for the Liberals in Vancouver South in the Oct. 19 federal election, Sajjan leapfrogged his former mentor, retired general Andrew Leslie, to get the nod as minister of defence.

His appointment to cabinet went viral on social media — with a picture from his days in Afghanistan tweeted with the line "Canada's new minister of defence is 'badass.'"

"I actually chuckled. I was really shocked at the interest in me, because when I got the job I was like, '[This is] a big responsibility, I can't mess this up.'"

As Canada's first Sikh in the role, he said "if my position here gives anybody hope of where you might be, and your potential, I'm happy that it does that."

"But in terms of 'badass?' Uh, no."

"I have done a lot of interesting things in the Vancouver police and in the military, where I would say that I worked with some very professional soldiers, police officers. But my kids, my little daughter, can say something to me and almost put me to tears."

source: Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says Canadians needn't fear ISIS - Politics - CBC News

www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2edhOyi6dE

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
talking point spin. most sensible people don't 'fear' isis anyway.

they're a threat. deal with them. with extreme prejudice.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
No we should not fear them. We should destroy them by whatever means possible ASAP! Like Winston Churchill said, 'we shall fight them in the air, on the land, on the seas. We shall NEVER surrender!'
All this time when the coalition has been ***** footing around they should have had masses of troops in the Mid-east, digging every terrorist out from under their rocks and shooting the bastards. Taking no prisoners. Taking no refugees. Giving no mercy just as they give no mercy to the innocent they are slaughtering.
The only fear I have is that the dreamers in the new government are making it easy for terrorists to attack us by opening our borders to them en masse. I fear it is too late to stop the ensuing bloodshed. In the near future we will have to 'duke it out' with terrorists as best we can.
Muslims may think they are accumulating large enough populations in the free countries to rise up and conquer but I think they will find more resistance than they expect. The various other religions and atheists still outnumber them and will never see ourselves and our children under Islamic rule.
The peaceniks will wake up when they and their loved ones become victims of the 'convert or be killed' ideology.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
He thinks we could have dealt with ISIS diplomatically if we had dealt with them sooner.

That’s crazy talk. Liberal crazy talk.

ISIS burned a Jordanian pilot alive while pretending to negotiate with Jordanian officials for his release. ISIS murdered American aid worker Kayla Meuller even though they demanded a ransom from her family. And ISIS ideology spawned Michael Zehaf-Bibeau. He cared so little about the authority of Canadian government officials that he shot up the Parliament buildings after murdering Nathan Cirillo in cold blood.
Do jihadis really seem like the kind of people we can have diplomatic relations with? I don’t think so.

Sending a diplomat to speak to ISIS is sending them on a suicide mission.

Defence Minister Sajjan thinks we could have "dealt with" ISIS "diplomatically"? "That's Liberal crazy talk" - The Rebel

#whipitout

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
"We need to get better as an international coalition … better at looking at the threats early on, to making sure that we identify them early so they don't balloon into these big threats," he said.

And by "We", he must mean somebody else.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Can you be more specific about the scale and location of your presupposed retaliation?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
He just the kind of guy that believe in paying and keep paying an extortionist...

Can you be more specific about the scale and location of your presupposed retaliation?
And what would be Your solution, when obviously diplomacy doesn't work, as shown by obama's exchange of of three terrorists for one soldier that went awol and is now in jail for it!

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I would say just to learn more about prevention measures such as proper security and screening.

They had a concert in a place with no security at all and that cost the bulk of the lives lost.

Now you tell me what your idea of retaliation would be and how that would work.