Housing price drop would sink young homeowners: Study

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Housing price drop would sink young homeowners: Study

One in 10 homeowners younger than 40 would be underwater on their mortgages if real estate prices crashed, according to a new study that warns the country’s red-hot housing market is disproportionately putting young Canadians at financial risk.

Nearly 260,000 Canadians would see their net worth wiped out if home prices dropped 20 per cent, the study by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives found. The drop in prices is larger than most bank economists are predicting, but it represents the midpoint in the Bank of Canada’s estimates that the country’s home prices are overvalued by anywhere from 10 to 30 per cent, the study’s author, economist David Macdonald, writes.

Of those homeowners pushed underwater by a major real estate crash – owing more than they have in assets – more than half would be in their 20s and 30s, the age group that has gone the deepest into debt to buy a home.

Canadians in their 30s carry debt worth an average of four times their incomes. Their debt-to-income ratio is the highest, and has risen the fastest, of any age group, Mr. Macdonald writes. Thanks to the fact that they are highly leveraged, young Canadians would see 20 per cent of their net worth wiped out for every 10-per-cent drop in home prices, so that a 20-per-cent price drop would destroy 40 per cent of their net worth.

A price drop of 30 per cent, meanwhile, would wipe out 61 per cent of the net worth of the youngest homeowners. “The most at-risk families are those who are heavily leveraged, with all their wealth in their house and who arrived late to the real estate party,” he notes.

The situation would be “dramatically worse” in high-cost cities like Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary, where young homeowners are taking on the largest mortgages, the study says.

Middle-aged homeowners in their 40s, 50s and 60s would stand to lose the most money. Mr. Macdonald estimates they will lose an average of $70,000 to $80,000, as a result of owning more expensive homes. But that would only represent 23 per cent of their net worth, given that older Canadians tend to have more equity and less debt, and have less of their net worth tied up in real estate than younger homeowners. For those in their 60s and 70s, a 20-per-cent fall in prices would mean a drop of only 10 per cent of their net worth.

..more..

Housing price drop would sink young homeowners: Study - BNN News

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think everyone should just default all at once and screw the banks and marketeers. =)

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The Global Free Market Economy is founded on a gigantic bubble of assumed value and expectation and debt. It is no longer founded in physical production and real value. This structure will inevitably be racked by 'corrections'.. which will appear as 'shocks'.. becoming ever more violent and frequent.. until the entire structure collapses. This won't be some moderate recession.. this will be economic dissolution and social chaos.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
The Global Free Market Economy is founded on a gigantic bubble of assumed value and expectation and debt. It is no longer founded in physical production and real value. This structure will inevitably be racked by 'corrections'.. which will appear as 'shocks'.. becoming ever more violent and frequent.. until the entire structure collapses. This won't be some moderate recession.. this will be economic dissolution and social chaos.
Thank you Mr. Ray of Sunshine we should all be thankful that we have folks like you to spread good will and good news.

I would say , as one who has been involved in commercial and residential construction most of my life that when you purchase a new home or building, you are not paying what the product is actually worth, ie materials, labor, overhead and reasonable profit. You are paying what the market will bear,,,which includes marks up upon mark up. I had a contractor ask me one time to give him two proposals. One for the customer,,,and one for him. You can guess which one was the greater amount. I turned the job down.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
We are floating on a sea of credit and money that has lost all relationship to the claim on the physical product it represents.

It is artificially augmented by interest and market increases that are completely unrelated to the real economy of production.

They are locked into investment & financial vehicles and their derivatives that must be continually turned over to prevent their being converted into real product which will wash away the world's monetary system.

It's a matter of time.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We are floating on a sea of credit and money that has lost all relationship to the claim on the physical product it represents. They are locked into vehicles that must continually turned over to prevent their being converted into real product which will wash away the world's monetary system. It's a matter of time.

30 to 1 is the ratio of paper to physical gold and the US debt is recently reported to be in the order of 65 trillion dollars. Someones going to get stiffed. I wonder who that will be?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Thank you Mr. Ray of Sunshine we should all be thankful that we have folks like you to spread good will and good news.

I would say , as one who has been involved in commercial and residential construction most of my life that when you purchase a new home or building, you are not paying what the product is actually worth, ie materials, labor, overhead and reasonable profit. You are paying what the market will bear,,,which includes marks up upon mark up. I had a contractor ask me one time to give him two proposals. One for the customer,,,and one for him. You can guess which one was the greater amount. I turned the job down.

That market is a digital criminal enterprise floating on virtual tangible goods.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
I think everyone should just default all at once and screw the banks and marketeers. =)
It doesn't work that way in Canada. We have a regulated bank sector so you cannot walk away from your home in Canada. If you do, the bank can sue you for any losses they incur.

As for the topic, what's wrong with a housing drop. I'm a new first time homeowner, and I could care less if my home were worth 10 million or 10 dollars. My costs remain the same either way.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It doesn't work that way in Canada. We have a regulated bank sector so you cannot walk away from your home in Canada. If you do, the bank can sue you for any losses they incur.
Figures that the banks would have a back door to cover their sleazy and greedy collectives.

As for the topic, what's wrong with a housing drop. I'm a new first time homeowner, and I could care less if my home were worth 10 million or 10 dollars. My costs remain the same either way.
Well, technically a home is only worth something as long as you are living in it. For anyone else it is not worth anything because you are living in it. lol Well, except for the gov't, I mean, because it always wants taxes.

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Sure you can; t'was done during the last bad recession when we had 20% interest rates. We, btw, missed that by two
weeks. We got in afore the blade fell, and it was a nice feeling. Had planned (because it was in the news that the
feces were gonna hit the air conditioning), just to go see our mortgage holder and chuck in the keys; make a stop at the bankruptcy
trustee on the way to the motel. Didn't work out that way, and our very humble abode was paid off in 12 years.

I would not have wanted to have our expenses on a ten dollar house at the time. Even now.

They could have sued and been god damned. No blood in stones, and the stones are there for anyone.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
It's 15 years away from happening . Let's not get exited just yet.

The real problem will be boomers not being able to lock into their equity to fund their costly group age home rental costs.