English signs must be taken down in Gaspé hospitals, language watchdog rules

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

The regional health centre in Gaspé has been ordered to take down some bilingual signs inside its buildings.

The order was given by the Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF), which visited a Gaspé hospital over the summer and sent the notice to the Centre intégré de santé et de services sociaux (CISSS) de Gaspésie.

OQLF Spokesperson Jean-Pierre Leblanc says English speakers have to make up 50 per cent of the total population for signs in both French and English to be allowed.

"When this is not the case, they're not recognized and they have to go according to the law," Leblanc said.

According to Leblanc, Bill 101 allows health and safety information to be posted in both languages, such as signs asking people to wash their hands. But signs giving directions to examining rooms for example, will be taken down.

Bilingual service was common practice

The CISSS says providing service in both English and French has been a common practice for years. But spokesperson Geneviève Cloutier says they have little choice but to respect the law.

"This doesn't mean that people will stop receiving services in English. The colour code we have (which identifies bilingual staff with yellow badges) will remain in place," she said.

Cloutier says the hospital will make sure added personnel will be assigned to welcome people at the front desk.

Concern for seniors

About 14 per cent of patients are anglophone at the hospital in Gaspé, the Centre de santé et de services sociaux de la Côte-de-Gaspé. Most of them are seniors. In some parts of the peninsula, like nearby Barachois, the majority are English speakers.

Bernice Vibert, who works at the general store in Barachois, is worried that seniors won't be able to find their way inside the hospital.

"The hospital is a public place and everyone should be served in their language. To respect people, the English signs should stay up," Vibert said.

She says customers have told her they don't understand why the language debate is still an issue.

"What does it hurt to have those people served in English and their papers written in English? There's nothing wrong with that," she said.

source: English signs must be taken down in Gaspé hospitals, language watchdog rules - Montreal - CBC News

If Quebec is 'FRENCH ONLY - INCLUDING HOSPITALS' why should the rest of Canada be bilingual?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If Quebec is 'FRENCH ONLY - INCLUDING HOSPITALS' why should the rest of Canada be bilingual?

because that's the law. We are a Bilingual country. Don't like it.....move back to Texas where it's English and Spanish rather than English and French.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You fukking idiot, Quebec Hospitals are saying NO Bilingualism... idiot.

Ya..... bill 101. It was implemented YEARS ago. Aug 26 1977 to be exact. Quebec is NOT bilingual. You really don't understand Canada at all, do you.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

The regional health centre in Gaspé has been ordered to take down some bilingual signs inside its buildings.

The order was given by the Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF), which visited a Gaspé hospital over the summer and sent the notice to the Centre intégré de santé et de services sociaux (CISSS) de Gaspésie.

OQLF Spokesperson Jean-Pierre Leblanc says English speakers have to make up 50 per cent of the total population for signs in both French and English to be allowed.

"When this is not the case, they're not recognized and they have to go according to the law," Leblanc said.

According to Leblanc, Bill 101 allows health and safety information to be posted in both languages, such as signs asking people to wash their hands. But signs giving directions to examining rooms for example, will be taken down.

Bilingual service was common practice

The CISSS says providing service in both English and French has been a common practice for years. But spokesperson Geneviève Cloutier says they have little choice but to respect the law.

"This doesn't mean that people will stop receiving services in English. The colour code we have (which identifies bilingual staff with yellow badges) will remain in place," she said.

Cloutier says the hospital will make sure added personnel will be assigned to welcome people at the front desk.

Concern for seniors

About 14 per cent of patients are anglophone at the hospital in Gaspé, the Centre de santé et de services sociaux de la Côte-de-Gaspé. Most of them are seniors. In some parts of the peninsula, like nearby Barachois, the majority are English speakers.

Bernice Vibert, who works at the general store in Barachois, is worried that seniors won't be able to find their way inside the hospital.

"The hospital is a public place and everyone should be served in their language. To respect people, the English signs should stay up," Vibert said.

She says customers have told her they don't understand why the language debate is still an issue.

"What does it hurt to have those people served in English and their papers written in English? There's nothing wrong with that," she said.

source: English signs must be taken down in Gaspé hospitals, language watchdog rules - Montreal - CBC News

The Quebec Government had in fact requested that Federal institutions in Quebec respect the French Language Charter.

The excesses of the French Language Charter aside, we should consider the paradoxical advantages of official monolingualism. For example, while a Quebec-Sign-Language-French bilingual, a local-indigenous-language-French bilingual, a Chinese-French bilingual, and an English-French bilingual all have the same chance, all other qualifications being equal, of accessing employment in the Government of Quebec, the English-French bilingual would have a clear advantage over the others in accessing employment in the Government of Canada. In short, unofficial linguistic communities stand the most to gain from official monolingualism both in access to employment and consequently more diverse linguistic representation in Government institutions.

The Government of Ontario could adopt the paradoxical advantages of official monolingualism as its rationale to request that Federal Government offices in Ontario also adopt only one official language.

Then Ontario and Quebec could present a united front in making their respective requests, thus neutralizing accusations of either Francophobia or Anglophobia, expressing a primary concern for unofficial linguistic communities. This would also save the Federal Government money in both privinces as an added bonus.

With this, everybody wins, especially unofficial linguistic communities.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Anything that is Federally funded is suppose serviced in both French and English.. government offices as well.

Any and all federal funding for the hospital should be immediately stopped.

Hmmmm..... let me see.... is health care a provincial or federal responsibility?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
because that's the law. We are a Bilingual country. Don't like it.....move back to Texas where it's English and Spanish rather than English and French.

'That's the law' is a weak argument. The Residential school system was the law too once.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Yup...
Both the strictly anglophones and the strictly francophone

The same for the religious extremist and atheist extremist :lol:

What's wrong with strictly anglophone and strictly Francophone? I pay taxes for translation and interpretation between two languages for which I don't need translation and interpretation.

I live in Quebec and often shop in Ontario because I live right on the border. I'd have no problem with Federal institutions in Quebec being French only and those in Ontario English only.

My view is that monolingualism is not a right, but that bilingualism is an obligation. If you refuse to learn a second labguage, then suffer the consequences. It's not up to my taxes to subsidize your monolingualism. Canada's got it backwards. While most states are officially monolingual and imposing personal bilingualism on the population, Canada is officially bilingual to promote personal monolingualism. And then we wonder about Canada's national unity problem.

Here, stupid, a better source.

Canada's Health Care System (Medicare) - Health Canada

as you can see. Delivery of services is a provincial responsibility.

That still leaves us with Federal institutions including crown corporations like Canada Post.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
and what is that "policy" outside of Quebec?

Federally, it's official bilingualism according to the personality principle nationwide. It just doesn't make sense when Chinese far outstrips French in BC for example.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Yup...
Both the strictly anglophones and the strictly francophone

The same for the religious extremist and atheist extremist :lol:

What's wrong with strictly anglophone and strictly Francophone? I pay taxes for translation and interpretation between two languages for which I don't need translation and interpretation.

I live in Quebec and often shop in Ontario because I live right on the border. I'd have no problem with Federal institutions in Quebec being French only and those in Ontario English only.

My view is that monolingualism is not a right, but that bilingualism is an obligation. If you refuse to learn a second labguage, then suffer the consequences. It's not up to my taxes to subsidize your monolingualism. Canada's got it backwards. While most states are officially monolingual and imposing personal bilingualism on the population, Canada is officially bilingual to promote personal monolingualism. And then we wonder about Canada's national unity problem.

That still leaves us with Federal institutions including crown corporations like Canada Post.

What you just said isn't necessarily to different than what I said...
Mine is the condensed version, and added religious antagonism for good measure...
I'm a francophone, fluent in English with a heavy accent.
and sometimes mixing french and english in the same sentence ....that's northern Ontario french:lol:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Though I disagree with Quebec's motive, I do agree with Federal institutions in Quebec adopting one official language but for different reasons.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Federally, it's official bilingualism according to the personality principle nationwide. It just doesn't make sense when Chinese far outstrips French in BC for example.

federally, and Chinese outstrips French in the Lower Mainland only. That being said, do the Chinese have a problem getting services in their native tongue, either federal or provincial, in BC?