Half of the New Canadian Cabinet Members Chose to Skip “So Help Me God” in Their Oath

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Half of the New Canadian Cabinet Members Chose to Skip “So Help Me God” in Their Oaths of Office

Yesterday, as new Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was sworn in, a lot of attention went to the makeup of his 31-member cabinet. When asked why he felt it was so important to have a gender-balanced cabinet, Trudeau answered very bluntly, “Because it’s 2015.”

That’s a great answer. Also worth noting, though, is that half of his cabinet did not swear in with a religious oath. Instead, they opted to take a Solemn Affirmation that didn’t include any mention of God:

In their oaths of office, they each said: “I, (name), do solemnly and sincerely promise and swear/declare that I will truly and faithfully, and to the best of my skill and knowledge, execute the powers and trusts reposed in me as (cabinet title).”

Individuals had the choice of affirming their oaths, which allowed them to replace the word “swear” with the word “declare” and to omit the expression “So help me God.”

In case you’re wondering, the affirmers included:

• Carolyn Bennett, Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs
  • Jody Wilson-Raybould, Minister of Justice and Attorney General
  • Stéphane Dion, Minister of Foreign Affairs
  • Scott Brison, President of the Treasury Board
  • Navdeep Singh Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
  • Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development
  • Catherine McKenna, Minister of the Environment and Climate Change
  • Maryann Mihychuk, Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour
  • Maryam Monsef , Minister of Democratic Institutions
  • Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities
  • Harjit Singh Sajjan, Minister of National Defence
  • Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
  • Patricia Hajdu, Minister for the Status of Women
  • Hunter Tootoo, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, and Canadian Coast Guard
  • Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage
  • Bardish Chagger, Minister of Small Business and Tourism

Meanwhile, we get excited in the U.S. when a member of Congress takes an oath on anything other than the Bible.
Stop showing off, Canada. You’re embarrassing us.

***Update***: Apparently, there was one Minister I missed! I have added Mélanie Joly to the list.

Half of the New Canadian Cabinet Members Chose to Skip “So Help Me God” in Their Oaths of Office

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Godless creatures.. :lol:

They will burn in the eternal fires of damnation!!! I think?
Your obsession with Justin is getting to the neurotic stage. Every person has their own views and versions of gods and goddesses so why do you feel that all these people need to swear to the Christian god?
When I was in court in the70s for a divorce hearing, they asked me to swear on the bible. I said no. They then asked me what I would swear on and I said my mothers grave. They never asked if she was dead or no. She wasn't. It is a meaningless gesture and asks you to subject to the authority if god, the judge and the legal system who have no real power or authority other than what they think they have/ We are each the only power in our own lives. The legal system cannot over ride your ow sovereignty unless you allow them to

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This only makes sense as we continue to remove the needless shackles of living for a deity.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Your obsession with Justin is getting to the neurotic stage.
While I agree with most of what you said after that line......
what about your obsession with Harper....
Note the result of the search where I put your derogatory name change to Harpo

Keyword(s): Harpo; Posts Made By: Cliffy

Showing results 1 to 50 of 258

Canadian Content Forums - Search Results

What a bloody hypocrite you are, throwing stones at others.....

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
This only makes sense as we continue to remove the needless shackles of living for a deity.
Interesting that you should say that after I just cruised through all the religious fanaticism contained in your fevered hate for the satanic Harper and devout love and complete faith for your new saviour.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Makes sense that many passed on the religious claptrap if only because they belong to a different cult. What amazes me is that they all voluntarily kisses the queen's azz.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Makes sense that many passed on the religious claptrap if only because they belong to a different cult. What amazes me is that they all voluntarily kisses the queen's azz.
She is the head of state.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Tay, I haven't seen any official figures, but I'd estimate well over half of American Indians profess Christianity. Can't imagine Canada's much different. So Bear's right, your comment was kinda racist.

Yes and sadly many Canadian ones do as well as they haven't been able to shake the fear that they have had instilled in them from the recent ancestor who were provoked by the Catholics so many years ago.

There situation is not unlike many others who suffer in poverty, lack of opportunity and a secular education, among many other issues.

The point is of course that Boomer shouldn't be shocked that an indigenous person who escaped the above would realize there is no God, not even a Manitou, to swear allegiance to.......

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes and sadly many Canadian ones do as well as they haven't been able to shake the fear that they have had instilled in them from the recent ancestor who were provoked by the Catholics so many years ago.
The woeful state of knowledge of First Nations and bigotry, is never more apparent than when watching a progressive swing broad brushes.

Lets not forget Anglican, Presbyterian, etc.

It was common practice by the secular govt to assign different reservations differing religions. Even among the same Nations.

Division is key to conquering.

The point is of course that Boomer shouldn't be shocked that an indigenous person who escaped the above would realize there is no God, not even a Manitou, to swear allegiance to.......
Seriously, just stop.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

There situation is not unlike many others who suffer in poverty, lack of opportunity and a secular education, among many other issues.

The point is that assuming Indians would or should be any different from anybody else by virtue of our race is by definition racist. You f#cked up. Don't try to defend it. Learn from it and move on.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Well Justin DID say, '"So help me God". And so did quite a few others.
What difference does it really make? If a person is honest and sincere, he/she will take the oath seriously; if not it wouldn't matter what he/she said or didn't say, he/she would disregard the oath once in office.