Liberals offically lift gag on scientists

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The Liberal government has taken the gags off federal scientists(link is external).

Alain Vezina, regional director of science for the Bedford Institute of Oceanography in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, confirmed Friday morning that scientists at the institute are allowed to openly speak to media.
Vezina held a meeting this morning to brief staff on the change.

He said that the announcement was communicated to him from the assistant deputy minister of science at Fisheries and Oceans Canada (known by its old acronym for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, DFO).

“I think it’s positive,” Vezina said. “I think we still need to work out the details. It’s very new.

"Basically what I told the staff is if you’re contacted directly by the media, let’s say you’re at a conference or a workshop, the media is there. You can talk directly. You don’t have to say, ‘I don’t have permission to speak.’”

BREAKING: Federal government unmuzzles scientists | National Observer

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I doubt that will bring back many of the scientists that left Canada to do research elsewhere, though. No-one likes moving. Especially a couple times (or more) within a decade.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Man these Liberals are doing absolutely nothing.

Just wasting taxpayers hard earned dollars.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Not really, mental loss. At least not in the sense you suggest. Anything the gov't does is wasteful because it is over-budget and takes longer than projected. But occasionally some good comes out of it.
So far what I can see is this as a good thing. The Syrian issue, not good. The thing in Paris, not good. The long-form questionnaire, in the middle.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Not really, mental loss. At least not in the sense you suggest. Anything the gov't does is wasteful because it is over-budget and takes longer than projected. But occasionally some good comes out of it.
So far what I can see is this as a good thing. The Syrian issue, not good. The thing in Paris, not good. The long-form questionnaire, in the middle.

Nonsense. Everything this government does must be sunshine and lollypops.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Freedom of speech with the blessing of the Govt, apparently we should have voted Junior in some years ago.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Next time I'll put it in purple just for you.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Newsflash: Scientists in the federal employ feel that they shouldn't have to abide by their NDAs. Trudeau agrees.

So will that also apply to those working for the CRA? EI? Immigration? Will any federal employee be able to publicly disagree with or denounce federal govt policies or just those special people called scientists?

HarperCons

Council Member
Oct 18, 2015
Yeah they were gagged. What a load of BS.
Harper hated scientists ,because scientists represented reality , a reality that conflicted with Harper's bubble of his own made up illusions. Also what scientists believed conflicted with the imperialist ideology.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
NDA's, empolyer intellectual property.

Means nothing to the trendy and vapid.

"Free speech" Bwaaahahaha!!!

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Miller, muzzled fisheries scientist, felt like a second-class citizen

A federal edict that prevented government scientists from talking publicly about their work turned them into "second-class citizens", a B.C. based molecular geneticist told CBC news Friday.

Kristi Miller, a scientist with Fisheries and Oceans Canada, told CBC News Friday that she was excited at news the newly elected federal government had lifted the muzzle from its researchers.

"We [are now] free to speak to the press without contacting media relations," she said. "And in fact we are encouraged to get back to them quickly."

It's a far cry from 2011, when Miller was shocked to find herself prevented from discussing her research into the 2009 Fraser River sockeye salmon collapse following its publication in Science magazine.

"I was told at the time that the problem with the study was that it was talking about dying salmon, and that wasn't a positive news story," Miller said.

She eventually discovered that the decision to stop her talking came from the top — directly from the prime minister's office. She was only allowed to talk publicly about her work in response to questions while testifying at the Cohen Commission Inquiry.

"That whole decision really backfired on the government, and I was really surprised they never reversed it. I think that my paper, for good or for bad, got more press because I wasn't allowed to speak. I don't believe I have ever been interviewed about that paper."

She says the oppressive regime led to many scientists quitting.

"I think that there has been a general exodus — and I was one of the people who thought about leaving."

Kristi Miller, muzzled fisheries scientist, felt like a second-class citizen - British Columbia - CBC News