Rona Ambrose Chosen Interim Leader for Conservatives

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Just catching this on the news.............will look for some links.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that as interim leader she's not allowed to run for leader as per the party constitution. As she was always included in lists of future leaders, that opens up another spot.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that as interim leader she's not allowed to run for leader as per the party constitution. As she was always included in lists of future leaders, that opens up another spot.

Interim leaders do not generally run for permanent leadership position although there have been instances where a convention directly endorsed an interim leader as the new party leader when there was a lack of contenders for the title.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Interim leaders do not generally run for permanent leadership position although there have been instances where a convention directly endorsed an interim leader as the new party leader when there was a lack of contenders for the title.

It's not that they don't generally run for the position. They can't.

I looked up the relevant part of the party's constitution

10.9.1 The parliamentary caucus shall appoint an Interim Leader of the Party who shall
exercise the powers and responsibilities of the Leader until a new Leader has been
selected. A person appointed as Interim Leader may not be nor become a candidate
in the leadership selection process.
http://www.conservative.ca/media/documents/constitution-en.pdf

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
It's not that they don't generally run for the position. They can't.

I looked up the relevant part of the party's constitution

http://www.conservative.ca/media/documents/constitution-en.pdf

In that case the choice makes sense. Sure Ive seen her name mentioned in possibilities for the permanent leadership but I doubt she would have been able to win it. Now she definitely wont. This will only be the second leadership race since the formation of the party so it will be interesting to see.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
She's a good choice. I'll get the Reformacons used to the idea that women can lead, too.

Lisa Raitt must be considered to be an important candidate for the real job.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
She's a good choice. I'll get the Reformacons used to the idea that women can lead, too.

Lisa Raitt must be considered to be an important candidate for the real job.
Why don't the Libs have a woman leader?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Because they all ready have the Golden Boy and Super Girl will just have to wait her turn. Our party should seriously consider a woman as it's leader - a capable, personable, knowledgeable woman. There are at least three who fit the bill nicely. Lisa is one of them.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Because they all ready have the Golden Boy and Super Girl will just have to wait her turn. Our party should seriously consider a woman as it's leader - a capable, personable, knowledgeable woman. There are at least three who fit the bill nicely. Lisa is one of them.

Who are the other two?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

Don't like women, Walter?

She's a competent businesswoman with "chops".