Mandatory long-form census restored by new Liberal government

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Now bring back the gun registry plz.

Mandatory long-form census restored by new Liberal government

The Liberal government is reinstating the mandatory long-form census that was scrapped by the Conservatives five years ago.

"We need good, reliable data," said Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Navdeep Bains, who made the announcement on Parliament Hill.

Bains could not say what the penalty would be for refusing to fill out the compulsory questionnaire, but said there will be a "robust" communication plan. The vast majority of Canadians understand the importance of this data and want to participate in the process, he said, noting that 93.5 per cent of the population filled out the forms last time.

The data is invaluable for everyone from city planners and provincial governments to businesses and non-government organizations, Bains said.

Minister of Families, Children and Social Development Jean-Yves Duclo said Canadians are happy to fill out the long form because they understand it is critical to the well-being of the country.

Restoring the long-form census was was one of the planks in the Liberal Party's platform during the recent federal election.

..more...

Mandatory long-form census restored by new Liberal government - Politics - CBC News

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
This is already a hot potato. They have made it mandatory. When asked how they intended to enforce it there was no answer. They just 'believe that Canadians will comply'.
The penalty for refusing to comply is a$500 fine or 3 months in jail. I believe this is why the Conservatives made it non-mandatory.
There is also the question of privacy. Does the Government have the right to demand information of such a personal nature? I believe that is why the Conservatives adopted the short version.
I think the biggest benefit of the long census will be to marketing . Is this one of the Liberal plans to boost the economy?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
This is already a hot potato. They have made it mandatory. When asked how they intended to enforce it there was no answer. They just 'believe that Canadians will comply'.
The penalty for refusing to comply is a$500 fine or 3 months in jail. I believe this is why the Conservatives made it non-mandatory.
There is also the question of privacy. Does the Government have the right to demand information of such a personal nature? I believe that is why the Conservatives adopted the short version.
I think the biggest benefit of the long census will be to marketing . Is this one of the Liberal plans to boost the economy?

What is the penalty about not giving correct information?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Guess there will be a lot of illegal guns in Canada now.

Of course AnalFlossy's title of the thread is misleading and total bull**** as usual.
What are you talking about Willis

It's an Official thread......isn't it?

What is the penalty about not giving correct information?
The last time I filled out a long form I had a lot of answers= NOYB
That was the one and only time I had a long form to fill....

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Filled out the long form thingy a few times. Never felt put upon. Never had to reveal stuff I felt was injurious to me or my family. Had I, I would have just skipped a few questions. Bring on the warrant.

Canada is Canada again, now that Adolph..........er Stevo is gonzo.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
It will be nice to have reliable data again. Maybe we'll be able to get enough doctors, nurses and hospitals again. We'll be able to learn just why the housing market in Vancouver is so expensive and who's really buying up all the condo's.

so much useful information again...Nice to have reliable useful data back.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It will be nice to have reliable data again. Maybe we'll be able to get enough doctors, nurses and hospitals again. We'll be able to learn just why the housing market in Vancouver is so expensive and who's really buying up all the condo's.

so much useful information again...Nice to have reliable useful data back.

I am sure that will happen and the only reason holding it back was the lack of long form census data for 1 period.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I am sure that will happen and the only reason holding it back was the lack of long form census data for 1 period.

Am I detecting sarcasm?

One of the reasons given for not knowing who was driving up the Vancouver condo boom was because the long form census was no longer in use.

Can't plan a city without proper stats.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Now bring back the gun registry plz.
Legally purchased firearms are already registered in the province in which they are purchased, ya putz. All the LGR was, was another layer of bureaucracy increasing the odds of someone having their firearms confiscated because their renewal forms were late in being mailed out to them. Provincial and municipal police services still have access to the firearm registries in their provinces. They can easily determine if an address they are heading to has a legally purchased firearm at its location. RCMP of course have access to all provincial registrations.
The LGR served no useful purpose except for making 'tards like you feel like you're doing something about a near non-existent problem with legally owned rifles and shotguns.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Am I detecting sarcasm?

One of the reasons given for not knowing who was driving up the Vancouver condo boom was because the long form census was no longer in use.

Can't plan a city without proper stats.

Good detection. The census is only every 10 years on the 1 years. I find it somewhat difficult to believe that this would provide anybody any real meaningful data. Also assumes that data collected is honest and reliable. I find it hard to believe that reliability is enforceable.

Note I am not against re-instating it. I just don't think it is the be-all-end-all that some are making it out to be.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Good detection. The census is only every 10 years on the 1 years. I find it somewhat difficult to believe that this would provide anybody any real meaningful data. Also assumes that data collected is honest and reliable. I find it hard to believe that reliability is enforceable.

Note I am not against re-instating it. I just don't think it is the be-all-end-all that some are making it out to be.

I understand. definately not the be all end all. But it's a good start. And if they keep the work in BC will provide further jobs for people.

I'm hopeful and optimistic.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Any one wants to fill out 40 pages of information for telemarketers or others that don't need to know
Go for it..for myself in step a 2 was left blank, step 3 I only put the city and province
And further on, only the number of people in my household and further on anything that wasn't anyone's business I let them know...and I never heard any more about it
And question about income I wrote in bold was between me and CRA and they did not have my permission to access it.....

For those who have never filled it out this is what the long form looks like

www.statcan.gc.ca/imdb-bmdi/instrument/3901_Q2_V3-eng.pdf