Punjabi now third language in the House

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Punjabi now third language in the House

With the election of 20 Punjabi-speaking MPs on Oct. 19, the Punjabi language is now the third most common in the House of Commons after English and French.

In total, 23 MPs of South Asian origin were elected to the House last month. Three of them—Liberal MP Chandra Arya (Nepean, Ont.) who was born and raised in India, Gary Anandasangaree (Scarborough-Rouge Park, Ont.) who is Tamil, and Maryam Monsef (Peterborough-Kwartha, Ont.) who is of Afghan origin—do not speak Punjabi.

Of the 20 who do speak Punjabi, 18 are Liberals and two are Conservatives.

The NDP does not have any Punjabi-speaking MPs in caucus after B.C. MPs Jinny Sims and Jasbir Sandhu both lost on Oct. 19.

Among the newly-elected Punjabi-speaking MPs, 14 are males and six are females. Ontario elected 12, British Columbia four, Alberta three and one is from Quebec.

Prime Minister-designate Justin Trudeau (Papineau, Que.) is scheduled to unveil his Cabinet this week and some of these Liberal MPs are expected to be included in the front bench.

According to Statistics Canada’s 2011 National Household Survey, 430,705 Canadians identified Punjabi as their mother tongue, making it the third most common language after English and French.

About 100 million people in the world are native speakers of Punjabi, most of them based in Pakistan and India. In the Indian state of Punjab, Punjabi is the official language. In Pakistan, despite being the single largest linguistic group, Punjabi does not have official language status in the province of Punjab. Instead, Urdu and English are used in schools and offices.

In an interview with The Hill Times, Navdeep Bains, a Liberal elected in Mississauga-Malton, Ont., said that although 20 Punjabi-speaking MPs have been elected, these MPs represent all constituents regardless of their party affiliation or ethnic origin.

“It speaks to our commitment to diversity and allowing individual [MPs] to play an important role in our political institutions,” said Mr. Bains.

“The main issue to understand is that we have a very clear mandate to execute our platform and we also have a responsibility to represent our constituents, which are very diverse.”

Iqra Khalid, the Liberal now representing Mississauga-Erin Mills, Ont. who was born in Pakistan but moved to Canada with her parents at a very young age, said that the diversity of the newly-elected House reflects the true make-up of Canada.

“Our Parliament is finally starting to look like the people of Canada. It’s a very positive step forward,” said Ms. Khalid, a lawyer by training.

The 430,705 native Punjabi speakers make up about 1.3 per cent of Canada’s population. The 20 Punjabi-speaking MPs represent almost six per cent of the House of Commons.

Deepak Obhrai, first elected in 1997, won his Calgary seat for the seventh time in a row. He will chair the national caucus meeting this week to elect the interim Conservative Party leader. He said that his focus, now, is the next election when his constituents will judge him not on his ethnicity but his record in the party and how effectively he represents his constituents.

“The voice of the Indo-Canadian community will now be very well represented in the Parliament. In the overall aspect of it, the South Asian community won,” said Mr. Obhrai.

“We must also recognize we represent all communities. How active you play your role in the party and how active you play your role in the Parliament, you will be judged by your record, as I was.”

In the 2011 election, nine MPs of South Asian origin were elected and eight spoke Punjabi. Former NDP MP Rathika Sitsabaiesan has Tamil roots and did not speak Punjabi. She lost her seat on Oct. 19.

Conservatives elected six of them in 2011, while the NDP elected two and Liberals did not elect any MPs who spoke Punjabi.

Mr. Obhrai is the only MP of South Asian origin from 2011 to have survived in 2015. The Conservatives who lost include Bal Gosal, Parm Gill, Devinder Shory, Tim Uppal and Nina Grewal. The two NDP MPs who lost are Mr. Sandhu and Ms. Sims.

Mr. Obhrai said the key reason other MPs of South Asian origin lost their seats was the Liberal momentum.

“There’s nothing more to read into it except to say that it was a red wave,” said Mr. Obhrai.

Salma Zahid, a former Liberal Queen’s Park ministerial staffer elected in Scarborough Centre, Ont., said voters wanted a change from the Stephen Harper Conservative government.

“People wanted change and I’m very proud of our platform, which we took to the people and it is because the Canadians believed in the change we were proposing,” she said.

Former Liberal Cabinet minister Herb Dhaliwal, who was one of the first Sikh MPs elected to the House in 1993 along with Gurbax Malhi, said the newly-elected MPs from ethnic communities have an opportunity to play a key role in Canada’s national and international policies.

“It reflects how open our political system is, that new immigrants can get elected and they can contribute to Canadian life and determining future policy. It also shows our Parliament is reflecting the diversity of our nation. That’s always a good thing,” said Mr. Dhaliwal, who was Canada’s first full Cabinet minister with Asian roots.

During his political career from 1993 to 2004, he held the National Revenue, Fisheries and Oceans, and Natural Resources portfolios, and was the political minister responsible for B.C.

source: https://www.hilltimes.com/news/news...uage-in-the-house/44002#.VjeL6A5EZ9Y.facebook

Upside, at least Punjabs aren't found of Muslims either.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
That's nothing. Polish has overtaken our native Welsh as the SECOND-most -spoken language in Britain, a whole country.

Both cases are a sign of the times. Punjabi in Canada and Polish in Britain. Need I say more?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It certainly looks like a sign ...... that people like to migrate.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Excellent::
Well educated people who have chosen Canada as their home. Most of them have a definite proclivity towards
hard work and thrift. Qualities we are supposed to champion. Good on them.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It certainly looks like a sign ...... that people like to migrate.

It's a sign that there's been too much immigration, especially in a country like Britain which has 65 million people (rising to 70 million in just the next ten years or so) in a land area the same size as Oregon. Just picture 65 million people in Oregon (pop: 4 million) and you get some idea of what it's like in Britain. Canada's not too bad, though. You're the ninth-emptiest country on Earth. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't remain white and Christian and that you have to let in loads of turban-wearing brown folk speaking an unintelligble, alien language just to show how "trendy and multi-culti" you are. Multiculturalism doesn't work. It's a failed experiment.

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It's a sign that there's been too much immigration, especially in a country like Britain which has 65 million people (rising to 70 million in just the next ten years or so) in a land area the same size as Oregon. Just picture 65 million people in Oregon (pop: 4 million) and you get some idea of what it's like in Britain.
aaaawww poor Britain. Population density - Persons per sq km 2015 country comparisons, ranks, By Rank
Canada's not too bad, though. You're the ninth-emptiest country on Earth.
Nice and roomy, yup.
But that doesn't mean you shouldn't remain white and Christian
Why should we remain "white and Christian? I am neither white nor a Christian and it was Europeans who came here and stuck we natives with all kinds of crap. Perhaps folks from India, South Am, Africa, etc. might make Caada a better place.
and that you have to let in loads of turban-wearing brown folk speaking an unintelligble, alien language just to show how "trendy and multi-culti" you are. Multiculturalism doesn't work. It's a failed experiment.
Sikhs have been here for a long time. And they are polite enough to speak English when necessary. And I have never met one that was as boorish, misogynistic, gynophobic, and bigoted as you.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Why should we remain "white and Christian?
Why should you change it? Why not keep Canada white and Christian instead of deliberately forcing a huge change in the entire country's ethnic make-up and religion (against the will of probably most people) just because it's too white and Christian for your liking? That's what I find rather disturbing about the Left-wing, multi-culti, diversity brigade - they see Western countries as being too white and Christian, both things they hate, so they deliberately want to ship in hundreds of thousands of brown, black and yellow-skinned folk speaking all sorts of unintellible languages written in alien scripts following all sorts of strange, otherworldly religions and weird cultural practices in order to slowly decimate the white, Christian populations of white, Christian countries. And yet, brown countries in Africa or yellow countries in the Far East are never ordered to import hundreds of thousands of white Christians into their countries every year to make their countires more diverse and multiculural. Oh no. Niger is allowed to be full of coal black folk, and China is allowed to be full of creepy, yellow-skinned people with slanted eyes. They don't have to be multi-culti and diverse. It's only white, Christian countries which are being forced to have their entire cultures, way of life and even ethnic make-up forceably changed by the white-hating, Christianophobic Left, even though the people in these countries are often never asked whether they want such a change and, on the odd occasions that polls are conducted, most say they are against it, that they are fed up with the way of life and even ethnic make up of vast swathes of their country being forceablt changed by mass immigration and that multiculturalism has gone too far. That's certainly the case in Britain and is why nearly 4 million people voted for Ukip in May (but with elections deliberately rigged against parties like Ukip, Ukip only got 1 seat for those 4 million votes, whereas the pro-immigration SNP and Liberal Democrats got 64 seats in total between them, even though both parties COMBINED got less votes than Ukip).

I am neither white nor a Christian
Most Canadians are, though. 77% of Canadians are white. It's time you accepted that Canada is an overwhelmingly white, Christian nation and was founded as such and that there is nothing wrong with that.

and it was Europeans who came here and stuck we natives with all kinds of crap.
If the British and French never turned up Canada wouldn't exist today, and the land that would otherwise become Canada would now be inhabited by a bunch of primitive spear-chucking savages. You'd be an uncivilised Third World land on a par with Chad or Niger.

Perhaps folks from India, South Am, Africa, etc. might make Caada a better place.
Why? Is Canada too white and Christian for you?

And I have never met one that was as boorish, misogynistic, gynophobic, and bigoted as you.
So you want to turn Canada - a traditionally white Christian country founded by white Christians and built on Christian values - into a land of Punjabi-speaking, turbanned brown people because Canada is too white and Christian for your liking and then you have the audacity to call me bigoted? Shame on you. I'm not bigoted. I just want to keep Britain white and Christian and believe that Canada - founded by white Christians as a white, Christian nation built on Christian values - should stay that way, too. It's the multi-culti and diversity crowd of which you are part of who are the bigoted ones.

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Them thar languages are just political correctness run amok!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Why should you change it? Why not keep Canada white and Christian instead of deliberately forcing a huge change in the entire country's ethnic make-up and religion (against the will of probably most people) just because it's too white and Christian for your liking?
Variety is the spice of life. I do not really care if the cultural makeup changes or not. I am simply not afraid of it changing.
That's what I find rather disturbing about the Left-wing, multi-culti, diversity brigade - they see Western countries as being too white and Christian, both things they hate, so they deliberately want to ship in hundreds of thousands of brown, black and yellow-skinned folk speaking all sorts of unintellible languages written in alien scripts following all sorts of strange, otherworldly religions and weird cultural practices in order to slowly decimate the white, Christian populations of white, Christian countries.
Oh. I would not know that for sure as I have never asked a left-wing, multi-culti, diversity brigade any questions. I rather doubt I have even met one.
So it is ok if Europeans invaded North America but not if people from other parts of the world come here. That is pretty hypocritical.
And yet, brown countries in Africa or yellow countries in the Far East are never ordered to import hundreds of thousands of white Christians into their countries every year to make their countire smore diverse and multiculural. Oh no. Niger is allowed to be full of coal black folk, and China is allowed to be full of creepy, yellow-skinned people with slanted eyes. They don't have to be multi-culti and diverse.
That is likely an affectation of their geography, climate, or other aspect. People simply do not want to go to those places in large herds.
It's only white, Christian countries which are being forced to have their entire cultures, way of life and even ethnic make-up forceably changed by the white-hating, Christianophobic Left, even though the people in these countries are often never asked whether they want such a change and, on the odd occasions that polls are conducted, most say they are against it and that multiculturalism has gone too far.
Forced? lol
That's certainly the case in Britain and is why 4 million people coted for Ukip in May (but with elections deliberately rigged against parties like Ukip, Ukip only got 1 seat for those 4 million votes, whereas the pro-immigration SNP and Liberal Democrats got 64 seats in total between them, even though both parties combined gfot less votes than Ukip).
That sounds like a problem with your electoral system. But how long have you all had that system?

Most Canadians are, though. 77% of Canadians are white. It's time you accepted that Canada is an overhwlmingly white, Christian nation and there is nothing wrong with that.
As I said, I do not care about the cultural makeup of Canada. To me humans are humans. I cannot condemn or vilify a human because they are a different skin colour than me, or a different belief system than me, or if they are left-handed, or whatever.

If the British and French never turned up Canada wouldn't exist today, and the land that would otherwise become Canada would now be inhabited by a bunch of primitive spear-chunking savages. You'd be a Third World land on a par with Chad or Niger.
Ahhhh, so you think native folks cannot learn, cannot invent, cannot do anything that you white Christians can, huh? That is a pretty pathetic outlook you have there. I do not think it is me that is the primitive, ignorant savage between the two of us.

Why? Is Canada too white and Christian for you?

So you want to turn Canada - a traditionally white Christian country founded by white Christians and built on Christians values - into a land of Punjabi-speaking, turbanned brown people because Canada it too white and Christian for my liking and then you have the audacity to call me bigoted? Shame on you. I'm not bigoted. I just want to keep Britain white and Christian and believe that canada should stay that way, too. It's the multi-culti and diversity crowd of which you are part of who are the bigoted ones.
As I said, I do not care one way or the other. I am just not going to panic or pee myself if it happens.

In the distant future it is most likely that if the human race survives, it will become quite homogeneous anyways.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Variety is the spice of life.

No, it isn't. There's nothing wrong in a completely white, or almost completely white, society. The experiment to make Western countries "multicultural and diverse" has failed and has given us 7/7 and Woolwich.

So it is ok if Europeans invaded North America but not if people from other parts of the world come here. That is pretty hypocritical.
You can't compare the settling of new, almost empty territory by settlers to mass immigration into a sovereign state.

Who asked Canadians if they wanted immigration? I suspect if you did a poll most Canadians would say immigration is too high and that it should be cut.

That is likely an affectation of their geography, climate, or other aspect. People simply do not want to go to those places in large herds.
No. It's because of a campaign by those who hate everything about the white race and want it systematically destroyed. As a result, white countries like Britain, Canada and America are being forced to accept against the will of most of their inhabitants all sorts of non-white people from all around in the world in an attempt to eventually wipe out the white race in those countries. No non-white countries ever have to experiment in "multiculturalism and diversity." It's only us white nations who have to be "multicutural and diverse." It's all about wiping out the white race.

Forced? lol
How many people in Canada or Britain or America have even been asked whether or not we want immigration? It's just been shoved down our throats whether we want it or not.

That sounds like a problem with your electoral system. But how long have you all had that system?
It's all to do with the fact that constutuency boundaries have been deliberately drawn in a way that makes Left-wing parties require far fewer votes to win each seat that Right-wing parties. And this is no accident. This has been deliberately done by the very Left-wing Establishment which Ukip detests.

Ahhhh, so you think native folks cannot learn, cannot invent, cannot do anything that you white Christians can, huh? That is a pretty pathetic outlook you have there. I do not think it is me that is the primitive, ignorant savage between the two of us.
Do you really think that Canada would be what it is today were it not for the British Empire? Canada wouldn't even exist. The land that would otherwise have become Canada would still be inhabited today by tent-dwelling barbarians throwing spears and worshipping animal spirits. You'd be no different than countries such as Mauritania and Malawi. A primitive, poverty-stricken society requiring handouts from Lenny Henry and Bob Geldof.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That's nothing. Polish has overtaken our native Welsh as the SECOND-most -spoken language in Britain, a whole country.

Both cases are a sign of the times. Punjabi in Canada and Polish in Britain. Need I say more?

what are you complaining about, some good looking breeding stock was long overdue in the UK for centuries?

If you weren't a twink you could have beautiful Polish wife who can and is willing to cook with butter.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Like all men, I SHOULD be having a wife who is willing to cook for me. But I like my women white, Christian and British.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That is such good news, now any person can ask for a translator to help you understand 'rubber tongue egrish' and not officially offend anybody.

Like all men, I SHOULD be having a wife who is willing to cook for me. But I like my women white, Christian and British.
So how do you like being single??