Free Trade, NAFTA & the TPP

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
We don't need free trade, we need fair trade. How does it make sense to force our workers compete with workers in developing countries who don't even make a dollar per hour or per day?

Free trade benefits rich and multinationals. We need fair trade that benefits ordinary citizens.

I say no to TPP and cancel NAFTA.

What are your thoughts on NAFTA & the TPP?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qa3fMYUr8I

Liberals Say No Free Vote On Trans-Pacific Partnership

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
They both suck. When it comes to NAFTA and the original FTA I keep hearing that as a result we had a trade surplus with the US. My response was, "So what? Are there more jobs?" In fact many good paying jobs left Canada as a result of both agreements.
Was the average person better off because of the FTA or NAFTA? Nope. Sadly many that were affected by the corporate migrations ended up having to take jobs that paid 2-3X less than what they were earning before either agreement came into effect.

But those were only part of the problem. Relatively recent investor protection laws basically force publicly traded companies to do everything they can to maximize profits for the shareholders. While on the surface these laws seem like they're designed to protect people from crap like Bre-X and Enron, in reality they just became a vehicle to help facilitate an ever greater transfer of wealth to the already very wealthy. Shifting production from countries like Canada and the US to places were they can get away with paying workers three-fifths of f*ck all ensures both goals are met, to the benefit of no-one but a tiny handful of people.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The Canada-US deal was good because both countries had comparable labour regulations and wages. Everything since then has been only benefiting the rich.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
We don't need free trade, we need fair trade. How does it make sense to force our workers compete with workers in developing countries who don't even make a dollar per hour or per day?

Free trade benefits rich and multinationals. We need fair trade that benefits ordinary citizens.

I say no to TPP and cancel NAFTA.

What are your thoughts on NAFTA & the TPP?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qa3fMYUr8I

Liberals Say No Free Vote On Trans-Pacific Partnership

Boomer; You are truly an enigma.

You claim to have an issue with the TPP yet you proudly proclaimed you voted for the Harper Cons who were the ones most wanting to want it implemented.

Are we to assume you want to take that vote back ?

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/138214-stopttip-tens-thousands-protest-trade.html

And in other threads you purport to support Bernie Sanders Platform.

I'm starting to get whiplash reading your left to right changes.......

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Boomer tries to do the CDNBear thing where he occasionally pretends like he's not right wing racist douche.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Im not a fan of either. Unfortunately with both the Conservatives and Liberals supporting it its going to go through one way or another.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

You claim to have an issue with the TPP yet you proudly proclaimed you voted for the Harper Cons who were the ones most wanting to want it implemented.

I may not agree with 100% of what the Conservative do, but I do agree with most of their policies.

Do you agree with 100% of what the Liberals do?

Hell No!

Well if Canada get's a lemon, it's only right that the USA joins our ranks. (That was trolling targeted to Eagle)

Boomer tries to do the CDNBear thing where he occasionally pretends like he's not right wing racist douche.

That's funny CNDBear has handed you your a$$ a number of times..

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Trade with other countries has come to be the Government's main source of income. It has certainly ruined free enterprise within our own country in a lot of ways. I don't think the 'global economy' concept should ever have been started. But it did and now every country has to be in on it whether we like it or not.
North America has just about everything we need. It would have been better if we used our own products, exported the excess and imported only what we didn't have here , things like exotic foods if you have to have such things.
Free trade has certainly killed our manufacturing and agriculture.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Justin Trudeau will be tested on many fronts.

One of the most important fronts is international trade -- where the TPP has just landed in his lap. Tom Walkom writes (link is external):

Released Thursday, the final text confirms most critics’ fears.Certain kinds of new-generation prescription pharmaceuticals will receive enhanced patent protection. That means they will become more expensive — both for individuals and provincial drug plans.

“The Trans-Pacific Partnership is a bad deal for medicine,” said the aid group Doctors Without Borders.

Governments will find it harder to protect the privacy of Canadian citizens. If, for instance, a Canadian credit card company wants to store electronic information in cheaper data banks abroad, governments will be able to intervene only if they can prove a “legitimate policy objective.”

The dispute settlement system that already allows American and Mexican companies to challenge Canadian environmental and other laws before special trade arbitrators has been expanded to include all nations in the TPP.

The new pact will deviate from the existing North American Free Trade Agreement in that hearings held under this system will now be open to the public — unless the arbitrators decide otherwise.

Oh yes. And the threshold for reviewing foreign takeovers of Canadian companies has been raised from $600 million to $1.5 billion.

But the most immediate casualty of the new deal is the Canadian auto industry (link is external). Under NAFTA, only auto parts containing 60 per cent North American content could move duty-free between Canada, the U.S. and Mexico.

Earlier this fall, the Harper government admitted that the TPP would reduce this local content threshold to 40 per cent. The final text shows that for some crucial auto parts, the new threshold is even lower — 35 per cent.

What this means in practice is that auto makers operating within the TPP will be able to obtain up to 65 per cent of their parts outside the trade bloc — from cheap-labour countries like Thailand.

Clearly, the TPP is meant to enshrine neo-liberalism's global juggernaut. Put bluntly, it threatens the kind of democracy Trudeau has been preaching.

It will not be easy to renegotiate the pact. It will not be easy to walk away from it. But it would be foolish to reject either option.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
look at what works:
Iceland
were we doing that ?
no
will we?
naw...lets follow the example of all the countries going boobs up
and do that

it's better fo dat jiant va(E)mpire squide

as far as workers and our lives go
in the future
from what I understand he with the most robots wins

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/138214-stopttip-tens-thousands-protest-trade.html

I'm starting to get whiplash reading your left to right changes.......

Free trade is not a keft-right issue, but rather a nationalist-universalist one. It runs along a different spectrum.

As an example, if our parties were aligned less along the keft-right spectrum and more along the nationslist-universalist one, one party would be anti-free-trade and anti-immigration, while the other would be pro both. The reason they sit opposite each other in Canada is because our parties are divided along a right-left spectrum and so these are matters that can sit on either side depending on how nationslist or universalist a party is.

As an example, as a universalist myself, i'm both very pro free trade and pro immigration and pro free movement of labour between countries.