Should we make reserves ASAR's?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Should we make reserves ASAR's?

We often read or hear of the need to provide more funding for educational and other services on indigenous reserves.

While I agree with that, I think it would also be wise to give them the tools to help themselves too.

To make an analogy, imagine that your house will be flooded by tomorrow unless we dig a moat around it and fast.

I have three options:

1. I do nothing and let you dig the moat with your bare hands.

2. I give you my shovel so that you can dig the moat more efficiently yourself.

3. I take my shovel and start digging the moat for you while turning down your offer to help me help you and telling you to get out of my way while I help you.

4. I bring two shovels and* give you one and we dig the moat together.

I get the impression that the Government's plan to help indigenous Canadians is based on strategy 3 above whereby the Government throws money at indigenous Canadians but does nothing to help them help themselves.

Obviously we can't go from plan 3 to plan 2 overnight, but we can go from plan 3 to plan 4 quickly enough.

Supposing that we declared reserves Autonomous Special Administrative Regions (ASARs). Essentially, indigenous communities would be exempted from Canada's language, trade, and foreign worker rules except for UN sanctions. This would mean that unless the reserve imposes language rules of its own, packaging and labeling could be in any language and companies could do business in any language within the rules set by the indigenous nation. And unless it imposes its own tariffs, quotas or sanctions, it could import whatever it wants. And unless it imposes its own work visa requirements, anyone with a valid passport could work there.

This would allow reserves to import products that off-reserve companies couldn't, or at least not at the same price.* It would also ensure that an on-reserve company could easily fix a labour shortage by hiring anyone with a valid passport (as long as the indigenous government allows it of course.

We could allow private hospitals to do business on reserves too. As it stands now, private hospitals outside of Canada are getting that money.

While the removal of such obstacles to economic development would not necessarily eliminate indigenous dependance on the Government of Canada, it would likely at least significantly reduce such dependance.

Given the recent news with the SQ in Quebec, it could also increase safety by allowing indigenous communities to collect the funds to police themselves. After all, indigenous police officers are far less likely to assault members of their own community, sexually or otherwise, than white police officers from outside the community who have no ties to the community.

So while this would likely not bring us to plan 2 above, it would bring us to at least plan 4 which would already be a step in the right direction.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Sorry but the indians have been crying for self governance etc for a long time so I say we go with plan #1. You want to be on your own then so be it. They want autonomy they can have it but they don't get to have their cake and eat it too by remaining Canadian and reaping all the benefits of Canadian society. They get to sink or swim by their own hand as a separate nation and be treated as any other sovereign nation including trade and currency and entry to Canada.

The other option is they become Canadians just like every other Canadian with NO special rights or privileges other than what every other citizen has.

It is definitely time to put an end to all the bullsh*t. The continuation of any type of program that promotes them being both sovereign and Canadian at the same time will not end the situation but perpetuate the status quo including all the resentment from both sides of the fence.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I was reading the thread, thinking that the "reserves" were our Forces reserves and the "options" said to me "Wow! This guy nust be a reservist!" 1)I do nothing and let you dig the moat with your bare hands say to me "I served in the Reserves during the Chretien years" Then I realized that it was just the ramblings of another foreigner who "knows all about" the First Nations people.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I have a question for the OP: have you ever been on a reserve or ever spoken to people who live on a reserve? Neither you or Nick seem to know anything about our indigenous people.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Cliffy couldn't have said it better myself. It also reminds me they know nothing about
how the system works either. the whole system is not a matter of going to parliament
much more than that.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If you touch the Indian Act, powerful FN politicians who like the status quo ... maybe most of them, even will stop you even if the system is a Victorian Colonial leftover.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I have a question for the OP: have you ever been on a reserve or ever spoken to people who live on a reserve? Neither you or Nick seem to know anything about our indigenous people.

Lived in the Cowichan valley for 20 years Cliffy. Population about 60,000 with 25,000+ of that being indians. Half of the city of Duncan is on reserve land. My experience was 30% wanted nothing to do with the band except on cheque day and 65% constantly had their hands out for more and 5% wanted nothing to do with being native at all.

The whole situation is a cluster-f*ck and needs a solution that is both final and permanent.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Lived in the Cowichan valley for 20 years Cliffy. Population about 60,000 with 25,000+ of that being indians. Half of the city of Duncan is on reserve land. My experience was 30% wanted nothing to do with the band except on cheque day and 65% constantly had their hands out for more and 5% wanted nothing to do with being native at all.

The whole situation is a cluster-f*ck and needs a solution that is both final and permanent.
I agree that there needs to be a solution to a very large problem that Canada created. A bunch of white guys on an online forum will not come up with any solutions. The solution has to involve the indigenous people in the process. It is not that hard to find people of integrity to facilitate that, not the apples who have taken over control of many of the band offices, but those on the front lines of change.