R-words

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
because cbc can't bring itself to print Redskin. in the entire article.

anyway, have another sunny ways cbc dance story kids. :lol:

Wab Kinew, a Winnipeg indigenous leader, says the name of a Morden, Man., hockey team is "defined in the dictionary as a racial slur," and he doesn't think it has any place in the public sphere.

Heather Francis, a Morden Manitoba city councillor, agrees with him.

"Merriam-Webster calls it 'usually offensive,' Cambridge calls it 'offensive' and 'dated,' and Oxford is the same. It's definitely a derogatory term," she said. "I think we need to change it."

Earlier this month she put a motion before Morden's city council, which would have seen the government send a letter to the team, asking them to change the name.

"I don't think anybody on the R-words hockey team is intending to offend anybody … but I think times have changed … and names and words have an impact," she said. "I'm not intending to provoke a fight."

The hockey club's president, Brent Meleck — who has been with the club since 1997 — said Francis's motion "is the first I've heard [that the name] is offensive to somebody around our community."

Meleck also said "it's funny, because I'm First Nations, and I don't think it's offensive at all."

more words that start with letters

Wab Kinew, indigenous leader, says sports team name is a racial slur - Manitoba - CBC News

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'm sure there are plenty of words about you that have yet to be uttered here for obvious reasons.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
once you're past 50 kid, you've heard and seen 'em all. don't flatter yourself. :lol:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Wab Kinew, a Winnipeg indigenous leader, says the name of a Morden, Man., hockey team is "defined in the dictionary as a racial slur," and he doesn't think it has any place in the public sphere.
Need a better dictionary.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I don't think anybody on the R-words hockey team is intending to offend anybody … but I think times have changed … and names and words have an impact," she said.
Only if you're some weak-minded tool who is willing to give words or names power over you.
The fact of the matter is, words have no power unless the listener/reader gives the words that power. If you're letting someone else's words have power over you, then you have the problem, not them.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
our fearless native leader wab, and his trusty sidekick, morden town councilor, SJW heather of francis (for the love of gawd just look at that thing)

know this isn't about any perceived power of words or pretend hurt feels. these two crybabies know that all they have to do is convince someone that they're 'offended'. that's how the progs play the game. the willing pawns like pale face heather are easy to come by these days regardless of your little artificial cause.

anyway...Go Redskins!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Was there this much anamosity when a candy from 1945 had to change it's name from n!gger babies? I had to add the exclamation cause this site censored that word. Imagine that...

I understand that change is hard, but if I cared about someone I wouldn't call them a deragatory term.

If it's such a non issue then lets change the teams name to the dumb white crackers?

If the PC crowd is offended that is a perfectly good reason to keep the name.

Is it the pc crowd though? No, it's the natives who want it changed.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Well I dunno, down at the Six Nations Reserve there's a store with a great big sign identifying it as the 'Red Indian ...". They didn't seem to think that was offensive.
We can call someone all kinds of offensive names; Axxhole,, the 'c' word, the 'P' word, FxxxHead,, and all but it's not illegal and no one is making a big fuss about it. It's all PC bullspit!
We've heard the same complaints from the PC crowd about teams like the 'Indians', 'Chiefs', and so on; That sort of implies that there's something wrong with being an Indian or a Chief. Isn't that derogatory in itself?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Red Mesa High School Arizona.... Red Mesa Redskins.

Can some more white people step up and force these native Americans to stop calling themselves Redskins. White man knows better.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I wonder who the colour-blind idiot that came up with the name was in the first place.
Here, looksee:

Red skinned item:

native Americans (we are brown, stupid):

lol Anyways, I could not care even if we were green-skinned or even paisley or argyle.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think it was the person who came up with ginger and strawberry blonde for hair colours