Parliament postponed

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Sheila Gunn Reid Verified account ‏@SheilaGunnReid

Sheila Gunn Reid Retweeted Anna Mehler Paperny
Can we all get a Prorooooooooooooogue freak out? No? Anybody?

Anna Mehler Paperny Verified account ‏@amp6

No Parliament 'til January? What Liberal government could - and couldn't - tackle without oversight:

Liberal MP Ralph Goodale says blah blah blah...

http://globalnews.ca/news/2299577/parliament-postponed-what-canadas-new-liberal-government-could-and-couldnt-tackle-without-oversight/ …

#cdnpoli

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
At least the war in Syria will be over and the effects of Passover starts to be the big topic about then.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Heard this on Power and Politics today and was a tad disconcerted. The refugee promise alone needs bucks - big bucks thrown at it and Justin said we'd have twenty-five thousand people here in Canada by January. He can not spend a cent of our money until he calls the House back.

...do you believe in magic.........

.........and, what the heck is Ralph Goodale doing telling us about this? I thought we were in a new era of openness and communication? This announcement should have come from the PM designate along with a good explanation.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
it leaves a government and cabinet in charge without formal checks in place.

a liberal one no less. :lol:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
it leaves a government and cabinet in charge without formal checks in place.

a liberal one no less. :lol:

That happens every time a session of Parliament ends. The Country doesn't spin into a black void. You really need to do a better job of fear mongering. This has got to be the weakest I have seen yet.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Same thought I had Gerry there is a huge difference. Not holding as session is
not the end of the world. Once sworn in a governing body has the right to use
order in council for much of the stuff that has to be done to prepare for the full
legislative session. I hope the repeal of the nasty stuff comes real quick in the
new year. Undoing the mess is as big a job as changing direction.
Before some begin to cry foul the reason the Liberals won was because people
didn't like where they were going. That means changing the legislation or carving
a new path the ones the majority just approved of.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
"That means resettling 10 times the number of Syrians Canada resettled in two years within two months — do-able, but hardly an easy task. Will the yet-to-be-named immigration minister sign orders to expedite refugee processing? Will Canada airlift refugees directly from Syria, or refugee camps in Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey? What kind of resettlement resources will this require?

There’s also the question of refugee health care: The Liberals have vowed to reverse cuts to Canada’s Interim Federal Health Program — cuts a court called “cruel and unusual.” Will they do that before the end of the year and before a new influx of refugees in need of care? If it requires changes to laws, that may have to wait."

Parliament postponed: What Canada’s new Liberal government could – and couldn’t – tackle without oversight - National | Globalnews.ca

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There are all kinds of things that can be done through order in council
That is how Provincial Governments govern for months on end without
calling s session to sit. BC is often a prime example. To postpone or
prorogue a session they must have had to be sitting and adjourned
in this case people haven't even been sworn in which means this so
called teacher has no clue as to how they system functions

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Citizenship revocation

Trudeau has said he’d repeal the aspects of C-24 that allow the government to unilaterally revoke the citizenship of Canadians convicted of terrorism.

This is more than a theoretical legislative issue: Multiple people are fighting citizenship revocations in court. Will a new Trudeau cabinet immediately end plans to revoke their citizenship, and reverse the revocation of one man’s citizenship? Will a new justice minister unilaterally repeal all or part of the law? We don’t know.

“Theoretically, in any ongoing legal challenge to the law, the government could make the decision it’s not going to contest that. And we might see a court then make summary judgment that the law is invalid,” Macfarlane said.
“I’m not sure there’s a lot of precedent for that. And I think it’s preferable to see Parliament actually amend the law rather than just having the Attorney General lie down on a legal challenge like that.”

Parliament postponed: What Canada’s new Liberal government could – and couldn’t – tackle without oversight - National | Globalnews.ca

I'm sorry but this is just so wrong. Why would we want terrorists to keep their Canadian citizenship?