This problem could be solved with a one-way bus ticket to B.C. eh

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Tension rises over homeless camp in Saskatoon

With nowhere else to go, a Saskatoon teen has called a makeshift camp on the bank of the South Saskatchewan River home for months.

He goes by the name T-Bone and says he knows he's breaking a city bylaw, but he is homeless.

"I have nowhere to go. Lighthouse won't let us in, Sally Anne. End up here," he said in an interview, referring to The Lighthouse, a downtown shelter, and the Salvation Army shelter in nearby Riversdale.

The 16-year-old is one of at least five people who live at the encampment. He and others living there say they are regularly harassed and ticketed by police. Passersby also often take photos of the camp.

T-Bone agreed to speak on the condition that only his nickname be used, because he is breaking the law and is concerned for his safety.
A city bylaw prohibits camping overnight in any park space within city limits, but a recent ruling by British Columbia's Supreme Court is giving the group hope.

On Wednesday, that court sided with some homeless people embroiled in a dispute with the City of Abbotsford, B.C. The court said the homeless people had the right to camp overnight on public property.

The court ruling has no force in Saskatoon, but T-Bone said he is optimistic about the ruling.
"I absolutely think we have the right to be here," he said.

more get a job ya bum here

Tension rises over homeless camp in Saskatoon

because:

B.C. court rules homeless have right to camp on public property after Abbotsford tries to shut down camp

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/...ight+camp+public+property/11456928/story.html

h/t sda

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
we can shell out a billion harper dollars for bildaburger meeting security for fascist billionaires and we can make homeless refugees by spending Millions bombing countries for no good reason to make the billionairheads happy...at TAX PAYER EXPENSE
and WE got homeless too?

WOW!
heil harper!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually there will always be people on the margins of society its cheaper to make
them wards of society than to continually train them for jobs they will never do.
And don't bring up agriculture. The product being grown today needs experienced
people to look after it and pick it. I hear open line people say make the welfare
people pick. Well I am not going to have people who don't want to be here picking
my fruit. Its time we understand some are just not going to make it and re-training
is not the answer they won't ever be able to do the job for any length of time.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think Petros is right. How will they make it through the winter? They couldn't.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Shelters and teen group homes won't help the drunk or stoned. No sobriety, no help.

It's why they live in a tent.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Interesting that those with homes piss on those who don't. Yup, all those homeless, useless, bottom feeding vermin... You sh!t heads make me sick. Doesn't matter if they are mostly mentally ill, suffering from PTSDs, or victims of circumstances beyond they own doing, but lump them all together and call them useless, lazy, whatever it takes so you can demean them so you call feel smug about yourself. Assh0les!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Shelters and teen group homes won't help the drunk or stoned. No sobriety, no help.

It's why they live in a tent.
Actually, the Housing First movement has made impressive gains with addicts, and impressive drops in the cost of social services.

A scientist wouldn't reject that data out of hand without careful review.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Actually there will always be people on the margins of society its cheaper to make
them wards of society than to continually train them for jobs they will never do.
And don't bring up agriculture. The product being grown today needs experienced
people to look after it and pick it. I hear open line people say make the welfare
people pick. Well I am not going to have people who don't want to be here picking
my fruit. Its time we understand some are just not going to make it and re-training
is not the answer they won't ever be able to do the job for any length of time.

They usually don't want to be wards of society. If they are wards, there will be rules. Can't have rules man!

He says that shelters won't take him in. Other than capacity (which is unlikely he would be out all the time as he would get in some days, out others) the most common reason for exclusion is drugs and drug use. So his situation may be his choice.

At 16 he should be in school with his parents. This is not always possible due to abusive situations but why is he not in foster care? He probably was and decided to leave. This again is his choice.

A Saskatoon winter is not one I would enjoy being outside all the time in. By now he should have migrated to Vancouver or Toronto.