TransCanada: Pricing carbon will help approve Keystone XL

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Price on carbon would help salvage Keystone XL, former TransCanada exec says

In a recent blog post for the Niskanen Center, a libertarian think-tank, McConaghy said outgoing Conservative prime minister Stephen Harper showed an "almost pathological resistance to carbon pricing" — even if it meant smoothing the way for Keystone XL.

"Such logic was beyond Harper," he wrote.

"The Keystone XL pipeline project might have been salvaged if Harper had been more willing to see carbon pricing as a means to address environmental concerns. The failure to pursue approval of the pipeline through carbon pricing is one of the great missed opportunities of Harper's last term as prime minister."

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/business/trudeau-carbon-keystone-1.3284528

Please don't reply to this groundbreaking news all at once.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Obama gave us 30,000 Shiny new rail cars. Why do we need pipe? Rail works just fine.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Well as the talking point goes, pipelines are definitely better for the environment than trains so it could be a decent interim solution.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Depends how quickly you want to ramp it down.

No it doesn't. I'd like to get rid of fossil fuels today but I can't make tires for my car out of unicorn farts or heat my home with pictures of rainbows.

Conservatives don't care about pipelines anymore though.

Wrong, and I see you're a hypocrite, continuing to use your computer

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Price on carbon would help salvage Keystone XL, former TransCanada exec says

In a recent blog post for the Niskanen Center, a libertarian think-tank, McConaghy said outgoing Conservative prime minister Stephen Harper showed an "almost pathological resistance to carbon pricing" — even if it meant smoothing the way for Keystone XL.

"Such logic was beyond Harper," he wrote.

"The Keystone XL pipeline project might have been salvaged if Harper had been more willing to see carbon pricing as a means to address environmental concerns. The failure to pursue approval of the pipeline through carbon pricing is one of the great missed opportunities of Harper's last term as prime minister."

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/business/trudeau-carbon-keystone-1.3284528

Please don't reply to this groundbreaking news all at once.

The companies are perfectly willing to add any costs greenies are willing to pay on to the price of fuel as long as they can sell their product. If the greenies insisted you purchase a new car with every tank of gas the oil companies would push that one as well. It called giving the customer what he is willing to pay for. The rest of us are smarter than that.

Besides which it doesn't matter how many pipelines we build or where they go to as long as we get to build them and get paid for it.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yes, now climate change exists and they are willing to cooperate.

Gee, I wonder what changed lol

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
No it doesn't. I'd like to get rid of fossil fuels today but I can't make tires for my car out of unicorn farts or heat my home with pictures of rainbows.

Wrong, and I see you're a hypocrite, continuing to use your computer
Love it when you twist the shiv.