When politicians ban carding, what replaces it?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Provincial and municipal politicians love to say they’re against police “carding” because then they don’t have to say what should replace it.

In fact, the term has become a dogwhistle used by politicians seeking to curry favour with police critics.

That is, coded language meant to imply that since the police are inherently racist, they can’t be trusted to question anyone during a street check, in particular anyone who is not already part of a police investigation.

The problem is that if police can’t talk to people in their community about crime in the community, or sort and codify that information beyond talking to criminals or suspected criminals, then they can’t do their jobs.

Good policing is primarily about information gathering.

“Banning” carding without putting anything in its place solves nothing.

Indeed, it is a threat to effective policing and constitutes undue interference by politicians in the day-to-day operations of police forces, which is the responsibility of police chiefs.

more

When politicians ban carding, what replaces it? | EDITORIAL | Editorial | Opinio

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I have never had a problem with the police and used to have respect for them
Our governments have allowed them to become more of a paramilitary unit
than community police. I have little faith in them at all from things I have seen
across the country and right here at home. In fact I almost think I would trust
a Hell's Angels Member before a cop. The police need to be brought under some
control at least. At letting the cops profile people and that is what they are doing
The reason police have a problem is they think they are above the law themselves.
Even when being questioned I would ask am I under arrest if the answer is no then
tell them nothing. I am disgusted with the police and their behavior of the last ten
years actually

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Police forces are paramilitary by nature, and have been almost since their inception.

There's nothing wrong with profiling. Other than hurt feels.

I know lots of 81's. I trust some of them. I know lots of cops. I trust most of them. But I still keep my lip zipped in the presence of both.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
How about issuing everyone with travel documents and setting up checkpoints, everywhere? There aren't many countries on Earth who haven't done that, at some point. It just goes to show how backwards we really are in law and order enforcement.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How about issuing everyone with travel documents and setting up checkpoints, everywhere? There aren't many countries on Earth who haven't done that, at some point. It just goes to show how backwards we really are in law and order enforcement.
I've haven't been carded in years. But then again I stopped hanging high crime areas.

Carding is quickly proving to have been an effective tool.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I am seriously white, etc, and you wouldn't think that I would be stopped but I was, a few times, for no reason whatsoever, in Quebec by French cops who had probably just rotated out of the worst neighbourhoods in Montreal. We were English ( NOT a popular type to be), male, young and just our existence pissed off those MUC police. They stopped us lots, coming from and going to school ... not doing anything suspicious, at all, just "being".

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I am seriously white, etc, and you wouldn't think that I would be stopped but I was, a few times, for no reason whatsoever, in Quebec by French cops who had probably just rotated out of the worst neighbourhoods in Montreal. We were English ( NOT a popular type to be), male, young and just our existence pissed off those MUC police. They stopped us lots, coming from and going to school ... not doing anything suspicious, at all, just "being".
Dude, I get my plates run by the Cirque Du Quebec, and I'm on the shoulder, for a good long wait. And I haven't committed a crime in well over 15 years. Frog cops are the worst.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Dude, I get my plates run by the Cirque Du Quebec, and I'm on the shoulder, for a good long wait. And I haven't committed a crime in well over 15 years. Frog cops are the worst.

If you are Mohawk they REALLY HATE YOU (and vice-versa!) Ganawageh and Oka were put there by the Redcoats to keep control over the beaten French.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I've haven't been carded in years. But then again I stopped hanging high crime areas.

Carding is quickly proving to have been an effective tool.

Because it got you to stop hanging in high crime areas? Lol

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The police ain't what they used to be and the other thing I don't like is the idea
cops from America can sometimes come across our boarder. This is Canada
not North America. I haven't trusted police for a long time just from their own
behavior. We are starting to find out just how crooked they are via cell phones
watching behave like thugs. Case in point the guy here in Kelowna they kicked
in the face while kneeling saying he was resisting then there is the guy who
was killed in Vancouver Airport cause he couldn't speak English and the list goes
on.
The only way to clean this up is any cop found guilty of stealing drugs, bribery or
extreme violence mandatory sentence minimum ten years. I would warn all my
grand children to be wary of them too and no apologies for saying it

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
At a meeting of the Canadian Police Chiefs Assn last fall, a proposal was made to start 'larding', instead of carding. I believe it was a western chief who pointed out that the fat have to reduced. After weighing his words carefully, the response was clear. "Larding, not carding!"

Don't shoot the messenger.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
The police ain't what they used to be and the other thing I don't like is the idea
cops from America can sometimes come across our boarder. This is Canada
not North America. I haven't trusted police for a long time just from their own
behavior. We are starting to find out just how crooked they are via cell phones
watching behave like thugs. Case in point the guy here in Kelowna they kicked
in the face while kneeling saying he was resisting then there is the guy who
was killed in Vancouver Airport cause he couldn't speak English and the list goes
on.
The only way to clean this up is any cop found guilty of stealing drugs, bribery or
extreme violence mandatory sentence minimum ten years. I would warn all my
grand children to be wary of them too and no apologies for saying it

Is it ok if I neg you for posting your entire message in bold text?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
At a meeting of the Canadian Police Chiefs Assn last fall, a proposal was made to start 'larding', instead of carding. I believe it was a western chief who pointed out that the fat have to reduced. After weighing his words carefully, the response was clear. "Larding, not carding!"

Don't shoot the messenger.

You didn't hear it quite right.

It was a Newfie shouting "Lard toonder an Jaysus" when the cop pulled up.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
"good policing is primarly about information gathering".

In my word this statement has some valu added delusional content.
Information gathering I suppose is an obvious tool for good forprogress and outcome success,but what happens when information gathering takes on agendas which minimizes "good"?
words like these makes me question the intent of the projector of these words,manipulating?delusiona?stupid?greedy?never read the whole article,maybe I should.