Trudeau “proud to be a feminist”; against misogyny in gaming/Gamergate

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau says he is "proud to be a feminist"

“There seems to be a lot of anger,” Pelletier asked, “not just at women, but at feminism and feminists. Would you describe yourself as a feminist?”

“Yes. Yes, I am a feminist,” said Trudeau. “I’m proud to be a feminist.” He went on to tell Pelletier that his mother raised him to be that way, and that his father, the popular two-time former prime minister Pierre Trudeau, “was a different generation, but he raised me to respect and defend everyone’s rights, and I deeply grounded my own identity in that.”

Trudeau added that the public should pay more attention to developments in popular culture like Gamergate—a long-running controversy about sexism and violence toward women in video game culture.

“The things we see online,” he said, “whether it is issues like gamergate or video games misogyny in popular culture, it is something that we need to stand clearly against.”

Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau says he is "proud to be a feminist" - Quartz

Last edited:

HarperCons

Council Member
Oct 18, 2015
Re: Canada’s New Prime Minister Trudeau No Fan of “Misogyny” Infused GamerGate

Well I have to agree. The people behind "gamergate" are disgusting, disgraceful, abominations of humanity.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Re: Canada’s new prime minister says he is “proud to be a feminist”

I'd agree with him as well but I also believe he needs to make it clear that he doesn't endorse censorship.

billshaver

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2015

Gamergate!!! Where did this come from usa!! Eh!

HarperCons

Council Member
Oct 18, 2015

what is censorship though? for instance, these gamegate dweebs think they should be allowed to spew misogynistic hate speech , this contributes nothing but exactly that, hate speech. why should this be allowed under the guise of "free speech"?
there is a difference i believe in free speech, and hate speech.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The problem is that what is considered offensive is a matter of opinion and there can be varying degrees acceptance.

Therefore, you can speak out against any hateful message in media but you also need to give the artist the freedom to cross that line and the people to choose for themselves if they accept the artist's decision or not.

Gamergate itself is just a conduit for bigotry though.

HarperCons

Council Member
Oct 18, 2015
denigrating an entire gender really is disgraceful , objectively. i don't think it's a matter of opinion in this case, but an atrocious reality.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You are not saying anything that disagrees with my post.

Edit: Ah, 'objective'.

I agree it's disgraceful, but I believe it would be more appropriate to acknowledge that it is a matter of judgment which is becoming less universally accepted.

But to put a different spin on this, Trudeau comes off as hypocritical as he tends to objectify himself.

Last edited:

HarperCons

Council Member
Oct 18, 2015
except that what is offensive is not always a matter of opinion. for instance, gamer gate dweebs disgraceful opinions on the opposite sex is objectively vile.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Look, I know a this is a bit of semantics but we could live in world that could claim the exact opposite of your assertion as 'objective'.

Values are not objective, that's what makes them values.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Equality is a value.

There are entire species that will exist indefinitely without it.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
:lol:

I wanted a progressive PM but even I'm kind of shocked.

As long as he doesn't go all authoritarian on us, we'll be okay.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It is difficult to apply what is acceptable when it comes to social Mora's.
However I think there is a definite point where free speech crosses the
line into something more sinister. The trouble is who defines when the
line has been crossed? There is a difference between free speech and
hate speech and that line is personal responsibility for what is said

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Hopefully your guy will be more than just lip service like ours is down here. Interested more in his "legacy" than the interest of the people.

I get so tired of hearing politicians talk I could puke.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It’s been a terrible decade under Stephen Harper: Porter

Feminists across the country are emerging from their bomb shelters, and blinking in the stark light of day to assess the damage of the past decade under the Stephen Harper government

The Harper government stopped funding research into women’s equality. It shuttered up a dozen of its Status of Women offices, and stripped the word “equality” from its mandate. It cut off feminist groups who were lobbying for change.

“We’ve lost the voices of women working in communities, on the front lines,” says Kate McInturff, a senior researcher at the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives. She had been the executive director of the Feminist Alliance For International Action (FAFIA), tracking our government’s progress on UN commitments to women’s rights, before the Conservatives cut its funding. She fired her staff and fired herself.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...rible-decade-under-stephen-harper-porter.html

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
We need research into woman's equality? What's to research? They are equal.

When somebody asks what government waste is, now I have an answer.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
We need research into woman's equality? What's to research? They are equal.

When somebody asks what government waste is, now I have an answer.

It is not about reality... it is about perception. The Canadian Liberals are now puppets of the US Democrats. All of this talk I am hearing now in Canada is what I've been hearing for over a decade. The Libs won and now it is time to drive massive wedges between Canadians to make sure the fear stays fresh.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
What you think is a waste is not what Canadians have decided unfortunately.