And in B.C.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
People have always slept in parks in hard times and civil disobedience is part
of democracy. Instead of bitching about the homeless in parks the court fight
money could better be spent lobbying government to remedy the actual problem
of homelessness and lack of employment skills. I don't think there is a shortage
of work there is a shortage of workers with skills to do the jobs. The other problem
is those without skills can't afford to take the courses giving them access to
skills. It ain't rocket science we know what we have to do. Stop attacking the
symptom of the problem and deal with the main isssue

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Homelessness is a medical problem and should be treated with compassion and care, not harrassment and policing.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Or ignore it and let them trash the parks.

yes, they will do that. The community will be angry over it and anger does not invite understanding nor empathy. Mental Illness, since it's a brain issue, will not be fixed by anything but medical attention. Those who are homeless are suffering from a mental illness.

It's a sad situation and the the common denominator in all of this is money.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Twila, hon, the entire world spins on money. It is a pandemic affliction. But I agree, it is pretty sad and, I might add, deplorable. It is the next one down the list from war concerning human failures.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
yes, they will do that. The community will be angry over it and anger does not invite understanding nor empathy. Mental Illness, since it's a brain issue, will not be fixed by anything but medical attention. Those who are homeless are suffering from a mental illness.

It's a sad situation and the the common denominator in all of this is money.

Not all homeless are mentally ill. For some it is purely financial.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Not all homeless are mentally ill. For some it is purely financial.

But what got them to the point where they were unable to keep a job and have no friends or family to help?

Being homeless is still a medical issue. At least in any place where being homeless gets you kicked off land and the weather can kill you.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
A friend who is a paraplegic had to spend time in a Vancouver horsepittle. While in there he asked why there were so many drug addicts and homeless people there. He was told by one of the staff that they all had at least one affliction or disease. They end up in hospital for a while, then they are out, then they come back. Out friend thinks that about 20% of the hospital's population was either homeless or drug addict.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Twila, hon, the entire world spins on money. It is a pandemic affliction. But I agree, it is pretty sad and, I might add, deplorable. It is the next one down the list from war concerning human failures.
You should look up the "Housing First" movement. Turns out that providing people housing, no strings attached, no drug tests, no recertification every three weeks, brings down the cost of social services over 50%.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It's not the earthquake that will wash away all of the trash, the tsunami after the earthquake. They need a big one like in the movie San Andreas.

There ya go, T-Bones and his sidekick Cannuckelhead can now call me a bigot of homeless people. OMG :lol:
Nah, we'll just point out that getting your plate tectonics from a bad movie is pure Boomster.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
uhuh There are lots of ways that people can lose their homes; drug addiction is only one.

You should look up the "Housing First" movement. Turns out that providing people housing, no strings attached, no drug tests, no recertification every three weeks, brings down the cost of social services over 50%.
Yeah, I saw a couple studies done about that and similar issues.
And yes, we watched San Andreas. We gave it a 3 in IMDB.