Trudeau pulling troops out of ISIS mission and accepting more refugees

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Canada election: New PM Justin Trudeau expected to halt combat missions against Isis and welcome more refugees

Canada’s newly-elected Liberal government is expected to pull the country out of its combat mission against Isis and to welcome a further 25,000 Syrian refugees after ending almost a decade of Conservative rule.

Justin Trudeau, the son of the late Canadian premier Pierre Trudeau, led his father’s Liberal party back to power on Monday with an unexpectedly decisive election victory. Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Conservatives, blamed for a stagnant economy and controversial policies on immigration and terrorism, were swept aside as the Liberals captured a clear majority: 184 of the 338 seats in Ottawa’s House of Commons.

Mr Trudeau, a photogenic 43-year-old whose father was Prime Minister for more than 15 years between 1968 and 1984, is a sometime actor and former schoolteacher. He sprang on to the public stage when he delivered the eulogy at his father’s funeral in 2000, and has been an MP since 2008.

Addressing supporters in Montreal as the results rolled in on Monday night, Mr Trudeau said his party had defeated “negative, divisive politics with a positive vision that brings Canadians together,” adding: “It’s time for a change in this country, my friends, a real change.”

The Liberals have vowed to end to Canadian involvement in the US-led combat mission against Isis in Syria and Iraq, with Mr Trudeau saying he would focus instead on humanitarian efforts. He has also pledged to invest CA$250m (£125m) to process new refugees from the region, and to withdraw Canada from the F-35 stealth fighter jet programme, an initiative by 12 countries including the US and UK.

Canada’s progressive style of social democracy, long contrasted with the politics of the US, had taken a turn to the right under Mr Harper, a neoconservative who cut taxes and took a more aggressive approach to foreign policy than his predecessors. His stimulus package helped Canada to emerge relatively unscathed from the global financial crisis, but more recently the country’s economy, closely tied to plummeting oil prices, has contracted.

The government’s ungenerous handling of the refugee crisis and the passage this year of a controversial anti-terrorism law – which the Liberals intend to amend – proved unpopular with many Canadians. The Conservatives were also accused of stoking anti-Muslim sentiment in a row over whether women would be permitted to wear the niqab when they took the oath of citizenship.

pg-22-trudeau-2-ap.jpg
Justin, aged eight, and his father Pierre meet Margaret Thatcher in Downing Street in 1980 (AP)

Mr Harper resigned as leader after seeing his party reduced from 159 to just 99 seats in Monday’s election. “We put it all on the line, we gave everything we have to give, and we have no regrets whatsoever,” he said during a concession speech in his Calgary constituency. “The people of Canada have elected a Liberal government, which we accept without hesitation.”

The Liberals, who held power for 80 of the 110 years between 1896 and 2006, when Mr Harper was first elected, had shrunk at the last election to become the Ottawa Parliament’s third largest party, behind the left-wing New Democratic Party (NDP).

The people of Canada have elected a Liberal government, which we accept without hesitation

Former Canadian PM, Stephen Harper

Elected Liberal leader in April 2013, Mr Trudeau was a popular choice with the public, but his Conservative and NDP opponents wrote him off as a political lightweight who had coasted to prominence on his father’s name. As Mr Harper announced Canada’s participation in air strikes against Isis last year, Mr Trudeau accused the then-Prime Minister of “trying to whip out our CF-18s and show them how big they are”, a comment widely considered a gaffe.

Conservative attack ads highlighting his inexperience and his past as a drama teacher proved effective, allowing the NDP to leap ahead in the polls in the early days of the 11-week election campaign, the longest in Canada’s modern history. Yet Mr Trudeau exceeded expectations on the campaign trail and the debate stage, leading a steady Liberal surge from third place to front-runner. The NDP unexpectedly slumped to a distant third place with just 44 seats.

Mr Trudeau becomes Canada’s second-youngest Prime Minister and the first son of a former leader to follow his father into office. He has promised to raise taxes on the wealthy and increase public spending while running a deficit for the first three years of his government. He has also said that he will set national targets on carbon emissions.

World news in pictures

More about:
Canada Election
Justin Trudeau

Canada election: New PM Justin Trudeau expected to halt combat missions against Isis and welcome more refugees | Americas | News | The Independent

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Mecca of the north. they will all move the Mississauga and Brampton. It's okay.

He will probably allow Sharia Law too.

Just like his daddy, the Father of Multiculturalism in Canada.. until there is a terrorist attack on Canada that kills 1000 + citizens, the JT love affair will remain.

Last edited:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
yeah, we know what pony 'promised' weeks ago but the kid, in his effort to salt the earth, will try to thread each of the election promises now I imagine. it likely won't go well for him. ;-)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
with shiny it's a pull out rather than a whip it out. poor pony. :lol:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Pulling troops out of ISIS mission is not what he said, exactly. He is going to discontinue the air strikes, that are probably strategically useless anyway. What made me jump a a it is that he said he'd train Syrian "freedom fighters" who fight against ISIS. Boy, we should stay well clear of that rat's nest! Supporting the Kurd Peshmerga more than we now do, is a smarter approach in my book. Stay the hell out of direct action in Syria. There are no good guys to support in Syria.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
That's not what h said, exactly. He is going to discontinue the air strikes, that are strategically useless probably anyway. What made mje jump a ibit is that he said he'd train Syrian "freedom fighters" who fight against ISIS. By, we should stay well clear of that rat's nest! Supporting the Kird Peshmerga more than we now do, is a smarter approach in my book. Stay the hell out of direct action in Syria. There are no good guys to support in Syria.

What is wrong with supporting Syrians in Syria with Assad the man they elected?

Why did we help destroy Lybia?

Why were we in Afghanistan?

Why did we support the destruction of Somalia and Sudan?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

Why did we help destroy Lybia?

Who elected Assad?

His father, the previous dictator?

The Russians?

I'll bet that Assad got 100% of the popular vote!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

1) Why did we help destroy Lybia?

2) Why were we in Afghanistan?

3) Why did we support the destruction of Somalia and Sudan?

1) Lockerbie ... and the sort of thinking that goes into Lockerbies. Ghaddfi was hell-bent-for-leather to destroy tens of thousands of his own civilians when our intervention began, btw. It wasn't a "maybe".

2) 9/11 and our collective defence responsibilities under NATO that were invoked.

3) we went into Somalia as peacekeepers under a UN mandate. It all went sideways when we had no peacekeepers left to send, just shock troops. The net result of Somalia is that we no longer take on peace keeping missions.
4) Sudan ... fill me in. What horrible things have Canada done to the Sudan?

Last edited:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
1) Lockerbie ... and the sort of thinking that goes into Lockerbies.

2) 9/11 and our collective defence responsibilities need NATO that were invoked.

3) we want into Somalia as peacekeepers under a UN mandate. It all went sideways when we had no peacekeepers left to send, just shoc troops.

1- last I checked Lockerbie is still in Scotland...not Canada and Lybia is, or at least was, a sovereign nation with a recognized govt that actually, believe it or not, looked after its citizens.

2- First I doubt 9/11 was done without help and permission of the Bush Govt...Second, if it was just 19 illiterate arabs who couldn't even fly cessna 172s it was brought on by draconian interfering US foreign policy. In other words they brought it on themselves and deserved it (Yes I said that)...3rd our pact with NATO is (just like you said) DEFENSE! We have no obligation to assist in an offensive action especially when it was illegal under international law.

3- we have NO obligation to the UN. In fact we should pull out completely. No more money or troops or wasting our time with an organization that promotes the NWO. Especially get f*cking UNESCO out of our national parks and our arctic. I f*cking hate UNESCO! Why we would give control over our sovereign lands to a comittee from the UN which doesn't even have 1 Canadian on it I don't know but f*ck them! Get out! Don't bother thinking about coming back!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
1) Lockerbie ... and the sort of thinking that goes into Lockerbies. Ghaddfi was hell-bent-for-leather to destroy tens of thousands of his own civilians when our intervention began, btw. It wasn't a "maybe".

2) 9/11 and our collective defence responsibilities under NATO that were invoked.

3) we went into Somalia as peacekeepers under a UN mandate. It all went sideways when we had no peacekeepers left to send, just shock troops. The net result of Somalia is that we no longer take on peace keeping missions.

You should read all the explanations of each of those engagements before you make up your mind.