Please no proportional representation.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I just thought of this. A minority Conservative government could mean the next election will be pro rep.

And you think elections are too partisan now? Just wait till the next election!

:(

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I just thought of this. A minority Conservative government could mean the next election will be pro rep.

And you think elections are too partisan now? Just wait till the next election!

:(
That is why we should get rid of the party system and make them all run as independents.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That is why we should get rid of the party system and make them all run as independents.

Nice thought but would government accomplish anything? I suspect mostly the politicians would be running around making trades. I will support your bill if you support mine kind of thing. Meanwhile the important things like getting pipelines built, our navy the new ships they require , eliminating official bilingualism etc would fall by the wayside.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Every member would have to prove their dedication to their constituents, corporate influence would be minimalized and parliament would elect their own PM and cabinet based on their skill sets.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I think things would get done. They would just get done in a constitutional manner with open debate and a free vote instead of being rammed through by half a dozen guys telling everyone else how to vote on the issue.

In what time frame. We require leadership, not consensus.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
In what time frame.
Do you want it done quickly or do you want it done right?
We require leadership, not consensus.
Leadership, at least under our current system, reflects the wishes of very few people. In the present govt that can be as few as Harper and 2 of his advisers or even just Harper himself. Consensus reflects the wishes of the majority every time. Isn't democracy supposed to be about the wishes of the majority?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Oh you of little vision. Bureaucrats do all the work anyway and most of the cabinet ministers have no clue what their departments do and rely on bureaucrats to advise them on what they should do.

So we would become governed by our bureaucrats. Now not only will they be sucking our money but ruling us too.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Hand in hand with non-partisan politics should be recall legislation - Take note Ontario!

Even with partisan politics.

Thinking beyond the box, why do we need MPs? Every question could be polled to every citizen who could answer on his/her smartphone or web. Majority rules. All automatic.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Proportional Representation is a good thing because we don't have to play as much of a game of strategic voting to avoid splitting.

You would have more people voting their conscience without sacrificing the riding.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I'd go for no representation and lots of referendums. But then I believe direct democracy is better than representative democracy.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Direct democracy would be more practical if we had online voting.

Even so, people are busy and that's why we need representatives.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Direct democracy would be more practical if we had online voting.

Even so, people are busy and that's why we need representatives.
As I said before, anyone with access to a cellphone, computer, Mac, tablet, or anything that can connect to the net can have a password to vote in referendums. We do not need representatives. It would be disastrous for corporations and whomever else lobbies gov'ts for favours and whatnot if the PEOPLE had that much power. Whoever has the gold makes the rules.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Referendums are no big deal.

It's how you actually organize government without any representatives where the concern is.