Conservatives facing criminal investigation over election law violation

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Conservatives facing criminal investigation over election law violation for the 4th election in a row

The Conservative Party of Canada is facing a criminal investigation over allegations that one of its candidates ordered senior members of his campaign team to tear down opponents’ election signs while putting up his own, making it the fourth time in as many elections that the ruling party has come under a criminal probe over election law violations.

The Peel Regional Police has launched an investigation over the incident that was caught on camera by a Liberal volunteer on Tuesday night, Detective Paul McNairn confirmed last evening.

“I don’t care,” one of the vandals is heard saying in the footage justifying his actions. “I’m doing my job.”

Under section 325(1) of the Canada Elections Act, “No person shall prevent or otherwise impair the transmission to the public of an election advertising message,” including election signs as outlined in section 495(1) of the Canada Elections Act, and the offence carries a maximum fine of $5,000 and up to six months in jail.

The Liberal team identified the men shown on the video as Balkar Jhutti, a major donor to Brampton Centre Tory incumbent Bal Gosal, and Harvinder Rai, but the police have yet to confirm the identities of the vandals.

Photos have emerged of Prime Minister Stephen Harper meeting Jhutti and Rai at the premises of a business owned by Jhutti.

“Under Stephen Harper, Conservatives have broken election rules in every election,” Ramesh Sangha, Liberal candidate for the riding, said. “The Liberal team remains focused on bringing positive change to the people of Brampton Centre. We will not be discouraged by dishonest Conservative election tactics.”

The Conservative Party of Canada pleaded guilty to the “in and out” scandal involving illegal transfer of money to various levels of the party to circumvent spending limits during the 2006 election campaign.

Harper’s ethics spokesperson Dean Del Mastro was jailed for his attempts to fraudulently cover up election overspending for his successful 2008 campaign for the Peterborough riding.

Conservative staffer Michael Sona was jailed over the “Robocall” scandal, where voters were directed to wrong polling stations using automated phone calls.

Conservative tactics only serve to make turn people off from voting, according to the NDP candidate Rosemary Keenan.

“It is unfortunate that think kind of tactic is being used this late in the game, especially after such a long and tenuous campaign,” Keenan told ThinkPol in an email. “It is especially disappointing for our volunteers and campaign team who have invested so much time in this election and see their hard work put down just like that sign.”

“All this style of politics does is turn people off and leave a bad taste in their mouth,” Keenan added. “People in Brampton deserve better than this and need representatives who are willing to spend more time advocating for the interests of the community. Rather than resorting to these kinds of tactics, we need a representative whose top priority is to be a strong voice for Brampton’s priorities.”

Bal Gosal was not available to comment on the matter as he was “out doorknocking,” according to his campaign team.

Our phone calls and emails to the Conservative Party of Canada headquarters so far remain unanswered.

Conservatives facing criminal investigation over election law violation for the 4th election in a row | ThinkPol

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lol
What's new? I have trouble remembering when ANY party that formed gov't has been scandal-free (well, except for the ones that weren't in long enough for a scandal to take shape, anyways).
And we have another "Flossy hates Harpy" thread to add to the dozens.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I know.

Pointing out criminal investigations is so extremist.
Not really ...... unless all you do is post negative threads about someone or something.
So now you have a pout on about someone pointing it out.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The odd scandal is to be expected from all of them I agree. Continual criminal activity that seems to be not just approved by the party leadership but also sponsored by them is a different story.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
When it comes to blatant violations of election laws

once is chance, twice is a coincidence, three and
after is a habit.

This shows a blatant disrespect for the law and the
concept of democracy and this time someone should
should pay a jail term price to get the message out but
they won't

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Conservatives facing criminal investigation over election law violation for the 4th election in a row

The Conservative Party of Canada is facing a criminal investigation over allegations that one of its candidates ordered senior members of his campaign team to tear down opponents’ election signs while putting up his own, making it the fourth time in as many elections that the ruling party has come under a criminal probe over election law violations.

The Peel Regional Police has launched an investigation over the incident that was caught on camera by a Liberal volunteer on Tuesday night, Detective Paul McNairn confirmed last evening.

“I don’t care,” one of the vandals is heard saying in the footage justifying his actions. “I’m doing my job.”

Under section 325(1) of the Canada Elections Act, “No person shall prevent or otherwise impair the transmission to the public of an election advertising message,” including election signs as outlined in section 495(1) of the Canada Elections Act, and the offence carries a maximum fine of $5,000 and up to six months in jail.

The Liberal team identified the men shown on the video as Balkar Jhutti, a major donor to Brampton Centre Tory incumbent Bal Gosal, and Harvinder Rai, but the police have yet to confirm the identities of the vandals.

Photos have emerged of Prime Minister Stephen Harper meeting Jhutti and Rai at the premises of a business owned by Jhutti.

“Under Stephen Harper, Conservatives have broken election rules in every election,” Ramesh Sangha, Liberal candidate for the riding, said. “The Liberal team remains focused on bringing positive change to the people of Brampton Centre. We will not be discouraged by dishonest Conservative election tactics.”

The Conservative Party of Canada pleaded guilty to the “in and out” scandal involving illegal transfer of money to various levels of the party to circumvent spending limits during the 2006 election campaign.

Harper’s ethics spokesperson Dean Del Mastro was jailed for his attempts to fraudulently cover up election overspending for his successful 2008 campaign for the Peterborough riding.

Conservative staffer Michael Sona was jailed over the “Robocall” scandal, where voters were directed to wrong polling stations using automated phone calls.

Conservative tactics only serve to make turn people off from voting, according to the NDP candidate Rosemary Keenan.

“It is unfortunate that think kind of tactic is being used this late in the game, especially after such a long and tenuous campaign,” Keenan told ThinkPol in an email. “It is especially disappointing for our volunteers and campaign team who have invested so much time in this election and see their hard work put down just like that sign.”

“All this style of politics does is turn people off and leave a bad taste in their mouth,” Keenan added. “People in Brampton deserve better than this and need representatives who are willing to spend more time advocating for the interests of the community. Rather than resorting to these kinds of tactics, we need a representative whose top priority is to be a strong voice for Brampton’s priorities.”

Bal Gosal was not available to comment on the matter as he was “out doorknocking,” according to his campaign team.

Our phone calls and emails to the Conservative Party of Canada headquarters so far remain unanswered.

Conservatives facing criminal investigation over election law violation for the 4th election in a row | ThinkPol

That same thing is happening here in NS. I've heard rumours of bottles of rum for evitavresnoc votes.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
When it comes to blatant violations of election laws

once is chance, twice is a coincidence, three and
after is a habit.

This shows a blatant disrespect for the law and the
concept of democracy and this time someone should
should pay a jail term price to get the message out but
they won't

and the 2 liberal candidates in Calgary that were glad handing at an advance poll.... I suppose, for them, we just take their word for it that they didn't know it was an advance polling station, right? Or can we tar Trudeau with this?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

its a bad sign. ;)

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
and the 2 liberal candidates in Calgary that were glad handing at an advance poll.... I suppose, for them, we just take their word for it that they didn't know it was an advance polling station, right? Or can we tar Trudeau with this?

The CPC are obviously putting a lot of time and money into planning their transgressions which are quite involved and intricate. That level of deception and criminality involves a lot of people in very high places. The Libs in Calgary don't get a free pass in my books. They also need to receive some punishment but what they did is nowhere near as bad as the CPC. It's like the difference between one guy selling a dime bag on the corner and a cartel importing 500 kilos...both are illegal but one is a much bigger crime involving some big money and powerful people.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I know.

Pointing out criminal investigations is so extremist.

So flossy, the fact that in every single election in this area the NDP and liberal signs are never touched but the Conservative signs have always been torn down numerous times means what? Very good sense of how to run a country they have, just like you.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Not really ...... unless all you do is post negative threads about someone or something.
So now you have a pout on about someone pointing it out.

this is a very lonely, very insecure and isolated lad. his sociopathic behavior is typical with 'elements such as space and time' patients like him. he lives for his social metrics. apparently it's all he has. kinda sad really.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I don't believe that any party would sanction such a dumb act as taking down campaign signs. That's just the work of vandals.
Who the hell votes according to the signs anyway?