Remember when? Alberta’s economy under Trudeau (Sr.)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
“If my voice is trembling, it’s because I am terribly angry, to the point where I would be happy to fight for our freedom and I literally mean with a rifle.”

“Let the Eastern bastards freeze in the dark!”

Very strong language, most will agree. The above quotes effectively illustrate the emotions felt by a majority of Albertans directed towards the Pierre Trudeau led federal government of the early 1980’s. The emotional outcry, of course, was in the wake of Trudeau’s infamous 1980 National Energy Policy.

The first quote came from an Albertan who called in to a radio station to voice displeasure and outrage with Trudeau’s policy. The latter was a phrase all too popular among the bumpers of many an Albertan car.

Ultimately, the political trauma induced by the wayward energy policy set off a generation of political bitterness. Albertans felt Trudeau couldn’t care less about their welfare. He mocked then Alberta premier, Peter Lougheed, saying Lougheed had been outsmarted by multinational oil firms. As Kevin Libin recently reported for the National Post, “Keith Davey, the Liberals’ campaign strategist, put it bluntly during the Liberals’ 1980 federal election: ‘Screw the West, we’ll take the rest.’”

The National Energy Program, largely the brainchild of Trudeau’s energy minister Marc Lalonde, sought more federal control over the energy industry. The impetus for such goals came in the wake of the extremely volatile oil price climate throughout the 1970’s.

trip on fellow babies

Remember when? Alberta’s economy under Trudeau (Sr.) | BOE Report

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
around about the time they egged his rail car after he gave the protesters the finger. fukkin' prick. glad he's dead.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Holy shyte!! The Harper supporters are getting desperate. Let's rehash **** from 40 years ago like it's relevant today

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There has been a saying that Toronto was the center of the universe according
to those who live there, well I am beginning to think the saying should have been
Alberta thinks it it the center of the universe. For years we heard they should go
it alone and this and that now the fortunes have changed thanks to oil tanking
and former Tory mismanagement.
There was a time before Leduc that gopher hunting and farming were the chief
jobs by comparison. Not to minimize the importance of the Province all parts of
Canada are important but it should be noted we all have ups and downs and
most of it is because at times we get too comfortable and don't build on the
success of those who went before
Life came a long way since Trudeau and if that is the only argument left to consider
for the more conservative minded we are in more trouble because Harper has no
plan except to call everyone out for the things that are not done or going to be tried
He has been in power for 9 years

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Funny (or, maybe not so) thing is, some of it IS relevant to today. Ironically, this was posted on my FB this morning. Sorry, the way that site weaves and bobs, I have no idea to whom it should be accredited:

The LARGEST ECONOMIC BLUNDER in our national history was made by then PM Trudeau in 1974. For many decades since 1938, the Bank of Canada provided near interest free loans to the Canadian government.
As a result of these loans, Canada had increasingly become prosperous and developed quite substantially, with the money created being used to build highways such as the McDonald-Cartier freeway, public transportation systems, subway lines, airports, the St. Lawrence Seaway, funding the universal healthcare system, and the Canadian Pension Plan.
This was the effect of PM MacKenzie King’s decision in 1938 which would last all the way until 1974, when the Trudeau government signed a G-7 agreement making the decision to halt the borrowing of money from the Bank of Canada, and instead, choosing to borrow from the private banks at compounded interest. Canada's national debt then escalated EXPONENTIALLY. Canada's national debt escalating from approximately $20 billion in 1974 to approximately $523 billion by 1987. The reason: In 1938 PM MacKenzie King had decided to nationalize the Bank of Canada demonstrating remarkable foresight as he understood that the key to a stable and debt-free economy was to have government control of currency and credit.
It was MacKenzie King himself who said,
"Once a nation parts with the control of its currency and credit, it matters not who makes the nations laws. Usury, once in control, will wreck any nation. Until the control of the issue of currency and credit is restored to government and recognized as its most sacred responsibility, all talk of sovereignty of parliament and of democracy is idle and futile."

...so I looked online and....

Prudent Press | The History of the Bank of Canada

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Pierre's irrelevant. He has been for years. The only people that care about him are ideologues and crotchety old men

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Glad he's dead, what an arsehole, I hope you have a tumor the size of summer squash in your gut, you ****in ****

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Glad he's dead, what an arsehole, I hope you have a tumor the size of summer squash in your gut, you ****in ****
I know people who would cheer if someone popped a cap in Harpo's azz. Personally, I don't see the point of giving puppets that kind of attention but their minions are fare game.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, some history of Canadian politics is irrelevant to the Canadian Politics forum.
yyeeeeeeeeeeaaaaah uhuh

Anyways ......
but but but but PeeAir was the best ever PM we had, right? Well, at least according to Gliberals and a lot of newsmedia.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

don't stay mad too long kid. :lol:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
There has been a saying that Toronto was the center of the universe according
to those who live there, well I am beginning to think the saying should have been
Alberta thinks it it the center of the universe. For years we heard they should go
it alone and this and that now the fortunes have changed thanks to oil tanking
and former Tory mismanagement.
There was a time before Leduc that gopher hunting and farming were the chief
jobs by comparison. Not to minimize the importance of the Province all parts of
Canada are important but it should be noted we all have ups and downs and
most of it is because at times we get too comfortable and don't build on the
success of those who went before
Life came a long way since Trudeau and if that is the only argument left to consider
for the more conservative minded we are in more trouble because Harper has no
plan except to call everyone out for the things that are not done or going to be tried
He has been in power for 9 years

A very reasonable argument DG. What the hell is it doing in this thread?