I just voted.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I voted for my local NDP candidate. I crossed out her party name underneath and hope it doesn't spoil the ballot but won't be bothered too much if it does.

I hesitated at first sinse I was unaware there was an independent candidate on the list. I did some quick online research and could find little info on him so went ahead with the NDP candidate. I always give independents first dibs at my vote to break the party system.

This was partially my fault. The independent probably added his name at the last minute and I'd stopped looking before then. Had I known, I would have asked him some questions and if he'd proved to be worthy, I would have voted for him instead. Lesson learnt.

Anyway, I hope my local candidate wins but not her party. She just showed some good ideas and I think she will represent my riding well whether in government or opposition.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I got another call from the Dippers. Maybe their plan is to annoy me into voting for them. Typically screwball thinking. She asked if they could count on my support. Nope. She asked who and I told her the Rhinos. She almost begged me not to throw my vote away. hahaha
She was a polite lady, though, and very personable.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I got another call from the Dippers. Maybe their plan is to annoy me into voting for them. Typically screwball thinking. She asked if they could count on my support. Nope. She asked who and I told her the Rhinos. She almost begged me not to throw my vote away. hahaha
She was a polite lady, though, and very personable.

I always say yes they can count on my support whomever calls. Not my fault they will get disappointed at election day. They are politicians, should be used to the lies.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It does spoil the ballot, but I guess you made some kind of statement?

I certainly did: a vote for the candidate is not necessarily a vote for the party.

My Conservative candidate is riding high in the polls this year too it seems, unusual for my riding.

Though I find the candidate to be quite the incompetent bobblehead, I do agree with at least some Conservative policies, so it's not all bad if he wins I guess.

Last edited:

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I prefer to avoid advance polls. I want all parties to have the full amount of time on the campaign trail. And, i want my vote to reflect my views as well as their entire election campaign.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
In Canada, you vote for the person, not the party. Seems crazy to spoil a ballot just to show the same thing.

If what you say is true, then they'll count my ballot as a vote for the candidate since the party name is superfluous anyway, right?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
In the U S they even recount defective chads.....

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
If what you say is true, then they'll count my ballot as a vote for the candidate since the party name is superfluous anyway, right?

Interesting question, if a check mark or X is more outside a box than inside the box, you can understand that someone may want the ballot voided. If they count all ink, then you could be screwed.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Interesting question, if a check mark or X is more outside a box than inside the box, you can understand that someone may want the ballot voided. If they count all ink, then you could be screwed.

Why would I be screwed when I'm not too concerned about it either way?

I crossed one straight neat line across the name of the party of the candidate for whom I was viting. I then penciled a clearly definable checkmark entirely inside that candidate's circle, large but not touching the borders.