12 countries including Canada reach tentative Trans-Pacific trade deal

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
12 countries including Canada reach tentative Trans-Pacific trade deal

ATLANTA - Twelve countries, including Canada, have agreed to create the world's largest regional trade zone.

After five days of marathon, around-the-clock negotiations, a deal has been reached to create the Trans-Pacific Partnership, which would cover 40 per cent of the world's economy.

The proposed agreement reduces or eliminates barriers in a wide range of sectors and could lead to more Canadian exports of pork, beef, canola, high-tech machinery and a variety of other products.

It also entrenches new international trade standards in Asia, setting a template should any other countries in that fast-growing region — like China — want to join someday.

Other parts will be controversial in Canada. Cars will be allowed without tariffs, as long as they have 45-per-cent content from the TPP region — lower than the 62.5 per cent regional-content provision under NAFTA.

Canada's protected dairy sector remains mostly intact, with a modest increase in permitted imports for supply-managed sectors. Farmers will be compensated for losses through a multibillion-dollar series of programs.

The deal needs to be ratified in national parliaments — and the NDP's recent opposition to the TPP process is an early example of the political challenges in could face, in several countries.

But voters can't yet see the fine print. The actual text of the deal is undergoing a legal review, and it's not clear when it will be available.

http://www.nationalnewswatch.com/20...rans-pacific-trade-deal/#.VhJ8HobuVjN.twitter

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Obama tried to screw us over on automotive deal?

Link plz
Oh Jesus dude. Read the friggin NEWS instead of following your ideological claptrap.

Efforts to create a Trans-Pacific Partnership trade bloc stretching from Chile to Japan hit a wall in Hawaii this summer after Canada and Mexico balked at import rules for vehicle imports agreed to by Washington and Tokyo that could hit the NAFTA partners’ auto sectors hard.
Conservatives rush to resolve TPP auto-parts impasse before election - The Globe and Mail

Those rules were unilaterally agreed to by the US without Canada's or Mexico's input. They will essentially kill what's left of Canada's automotive sector, such as it is.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Post the part where it shows a unilateral U.S. decision.

That link is behind a paywall for me.. That's capitalism for you.

We already lost our automotive sector to Mexico through NAFTA.

Last edited:

RJW

Time Out
Oct 5, 2015
Maybe the celebrations are a bit premature since the devil is always in the details and we have not see a copy of anything yet eh? I think this announcement is a timely election gift for Mr. Harper but I will hold off on the kudos until I see the final deal when the ink is dry.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
This is a disaster for Canada. Every Free Trade Agreement.. from the FTA, NAFTA, CAFTA, WTO agreements.. have been an utter failure. None of their promises have been met, nor were they ever intended to be kept.

The only entities that profit from these agreements are trading and financial oligarchies.. the big losers are working people.. in developed AND developing countries.

That incompetent, grovelling fool Stephen Harper deserves to lose his job for this. I for one, think he will.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Maybe the celebrations are a bit premature since the devil is always in the details and we have not see a copy of anything yet eh? I think this announcement is a timely election gift for Mr. Harper but I will hold off on the kudos until I see the final deal when the ink is dry.
Ditto.

This is a disaster for Canada. Every Free Trade Agreement.. from the FTA, NAFTA, CAFTA, WTO agreements.. have been an utter failure. None of their promises have been met, nor were they ever intended to be kept.

The only entities that profit from these agreements are trading and financial oligarchies.. the big losers are working people.. in developed AND developing countries.

That incompetent, grovelling fool Stephen Harper deserves to lose his job for this. I for one, think he will.
I tend to agree. The problem seems to be that everyone interested in "trade deals" is they want everything for nothing and most of the time, their politicians and lawyers seem to be shrewd than ours.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
By trade you must mean our money goes out of the country and we get 3rd rate items in return as the countries with reqal money get the premium goods and that isn't us.

Well this will kick western Canadian economies into high gear.
Exporting what, China and India get energy needs from Iran and Russia. Grain and other commodities will not be coming from GMO North America.