Non-Muslim reasons For the headscarf and the niqab.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm aware of non-Muslim women who wear the headscarf for esthetic reasons. I'm also aware of at least one non-Muslim woman in the US who chose to start to wear the headscarf after being raped, believing that its symbolic significance might deter future predators from her.

Though I am unaware of women wearing the headscarf to cover baldness, it would not surprise me in the least.

As for the niqab, I'm unaware of any non-Muslim woman wearing it as fashion, but I could imagine a woman with severe facial scarring choosing to wear one, albeit perhaps a more fashionably colourful one.

If we were to ban the niqab, headscarves, etc. at citizenship ceremonies, should exceptions be made in some cases? For example, a rape victim or bald woman with a psychiatrist's note explaining that she feels safer or more comfortable wearing the headscarf, or a woman with severe facial scarring with a osychiatrist's note detailing the scarring and explaining that she feels more comfortable covering her face?

Your thoughts on other legitimate exceptions?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
This isn't about someone's 'comfort' level at an official event wherein positive identification is required.

The courts have already ruled that positive identification is required. The question now is whether the ban should extend beyond what is required for the purpose of positive identification.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The courts have already ruled that positive identification is required. The question now is whether the ban should extend beyond what is required for the purpose of positive identification.

He knows this already Machjo.

They just want to pretend it's not the case because they enjoy lying.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Why limit it at all?

Get a 'note' from a friend that details that you feel safer walking the streets with an AK-47... Got mugged once, so it's OK

Dang, I'm behind on my clothing tech. They now have rapid-fire high-calibre headscarves and niqabs. First time I read of this.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
This isn't about someone's 'comfort' level at an official event wherein positive identification is required.
Does Canada have a significant problem with people trying to be fraudulently sworn in as citizens by, one presumes, killing or kidnapping a Muslim woman and donning niqab in order to claim to be the Muslim woman entitled to Canadian citizenship and taking her place at the swearing-in ceremony?

(Which, by the way, would not actually confer Candian citizenship on the malfeasor.)

On how many occasions has this happened?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
A closet Muslim?