Muslim convert attacked while wearing niqab in Toronto

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Brought to you by electioneering.

Muslim convert attacked while wearing niqab in Toronto

Her roots in Canada stretch back through her francophone mother to the 1600s. Last week, wearing her Islamic face veil – the niqab, which has become a central issue in the federal election – she says she was trying to enter Shoppers Drug Mart at Toronto’s Fairview Mall when a man carrying a liquor-store bag blocked her path and then drove his elbow hard into her shoulder, in front of her two daughters, ages nine and four.

The identity issue playing out in election debates and in courtrooms is now being felt in the streets, shopping malls and on social media, as disparaging remarks and even outright assaults draw attention to a charged political environment.

“On social media, already we’ve seen a huge spike of what appears to be anti-Muslim sentiment being expressed,” said Amira Elghawaby, a spokeswoman for the National Council of Canadian Muslims in Ottawa. She mentioned a Montreal website that posted a 15-minute montage of “people spewing anti-Muslim” feeling.

“This issue around the niqab has put Islam and Muslims in an extremely negative light. The entire community has been tarred with this brush of not wanting to join the Canadian family.”

While most Canadians are respectful, she added, the identity issue is “being used as a political football, and that has real ramifications for people’s sense of belonging and safety.”

The incident involving Ms. Merriman is not the only example of physical contact. Last week in Montreal, two teenagers reportedly pulled the hijab, or head scarf, of a pregnant woman, causing her to fall. Quebec’s National Assembly responded by passing a unanimous resolution against Islamophobia.

“It’s very similar to what happened in Quebec during the charter of values debate, when there was a huge increase in violence against women and human-rights violations,” University of Ottawa law professor Natasha Bakht said in an interview. “What’s happening with the niqab becoming this huge issue is unnecessary resentment.”

..more...

Muslim convert attacked while wearing niqab in Toronto - The Globe and Mail

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Maybe the CPC could propose making the Island of Montreal a Special Administrative Region like Hong Kong and deport all 'old-stock' 'undesirables' (i.e. 'apostates to the Christian Faith') there. Some of us might move their of our own volition.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
* yawn *

Flossy is on a niqab rampage..

A niqab face palm ...

What are you dressing up for Halloween Flossy?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
This is just the natural course of events Boomer.

The hate is self-defeating.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, I guess the Old Stock Canadians are right. Wearing niqab in Canada means you really are oppressed.

Or will be.

What are you dressing up for Halloween Flossy?
He's gonna just wear normal clothes, but with a piece of dental floss hanging outta each ear.

See? Mental floss?

Oh forget it.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Didn't get this part into the OP, but reading though it should be a good reminder for some folks here.

“My husband was adamant: ‘Don’t put it on, don’t put it on, don’t put it on.’” He was afraid she would become a target for abuse, she said, adding: “It’s a choice. No woman I’ve ever met who has the niqab on has been forced to put it on. They’ve all chosen to put it on out of respect for themselves. A lot of people don’t realize Islam is a religion that gives women the highest degree of respect. We are protected in so many different ways.”

Her message to the country, she said, is: “Don’t work on assumptions. Instead of jumping to the stereotype and attacking with words, attacking with your hands, attacking with your glares, ask. Because we’re more than happy to answer. We want you to ask.”

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I remember once reading about a non-Muslim rape victim who later decided to wear the headscarf for protection in that she believed that its symbolism would repel attackers. I could imagine non-Muslim cancer patients turning to the headscarf too or even just for style.

As for the niqab, it's a stretch perhaps, but I could imagine a non-Muslim with severe facial scarring choosing to wear it too. I doubt the CPC has studied the matter at all.

I remember once reading about a non-Muslim rape victim who later decided to wear the headscarf for protection in that she believed that its symbolism would repel attackers. I could imagine non-Muslim cancer patients turning to the headscarf too or even just for style.

As for the niqab, it's a stretch perhaps, but I could imagine a non-Muslim with severe facial scarring choosing to wear it too. I doubt the CPC has studied the matter at all.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Muslim women sound off on 'stupid' niqab debate

"We're in a recession, what is the plan to go forward? Those are the things I want to talk about. Not about women in [the] niqab and why she can't sing the national anthem with her face covered. That's just stupid."
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/toronto/muslim-women-sound-off-on-stupid-niqab-debate-1.3256417

Of course they don't want to talk about it, they know that the general sentiment in Canada does not support their unique demands relative to what is nothing more than a personal fashion choice

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Well, it has no basis or is required via Islam the religion, so that leaves personal preference.

... Don't care what/why their individual preference is, in the end, it is their voluntary choice