Conservatives criticize NDP for having members that married Chinese women

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Clearly it's because they're commies, right?

We Translated a Mandarin-Only Conservative Statement and It Criticized the NDP for Marrying Chinese Women

Over the course of the election campaign, there's been lots of accusations of politicians saying one thing in English and another in French.

Well, this is probably the first instance of a politician saying one thing in English, and another in Mandarin.

In a statement from multiculturalism minister Jason Kenney, posted to the Conservatives' Chinese-language website, the Conservatives issued some pretty feisty challenges to his political opponents that don't quite translate to what the party says in English.

The statement was written in Chinese — the written version of Mandarin, as we learned today. VICE Canada had the statement translated and has clarified some of the language for style.

"Historically, the relationship between the Conservative Party and Chinese community is not only very close, but was established earliest, in comparison with all the other parties," the statement from the minister reads.

Kenney then goes after the Liberals and New Democrats with some pretty aggressive language.

"In terms of the closeness, the Liberals could probably argue that they also maintain a close relationship, for in the time of Pierre Trudeau, Canada established diplomatic relations with China. But we all know, that's the result of the general trend of the world politics at that time; later, under Jean Chretien, they even sent a delegation to China, and we also know, that was for trade and business purposes," the statement reads.

"It could also been said that the New Democrats are also very close with China, since the wife of the venerable former NDP leader Jack Layton is Chinese-Canadian, while the wife of MP Peter Julian is also Chinese-Canadian, there is no reason not to be close with the Chinese community," the statement reads.

"The intimacy between the Conservative Party and China, comes from the genuine good will of the Conservatives," reads the following paragraph.

VICE reached out to the campaign for Kenney to ask about the statement. When it comes to the dig at the NDP, a spokesperson for Kenney said in an email that "this just points to the fact that the NDP has established personal ties with China/Chinese community because of these personal relationships. There is nothing negative implied here. It's just setting out the context for the compare and contrast piece that follows."

..more..

We Translated a Mandarin-Only Conservative Statement and It Criticized the NDP for Marrying Chinese Women | VICE | Canada

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Ummm ok. How exactly is this critical of the NDP? The Conservatives assessment of the situation is likely incorrect but it's hardly critical of the NDP.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
They are saying the relationship with the Chinese is not genuine.

It's based on then exploiting these marital relationships in public.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Jason Kenny is a little gutter snipe anyway he behaves that way look at the
language with the Calgary Mayor today.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
They are saying the relationship with the Chinese is not genuine.

It's based on then exploiting these marital relationships in public.
Seriously? It sounds to me like they're saying the NDP may have an easier time connecting with the Chinese community because of "familial" ties. As opposed to the Conservatives who had "to work at it".
It's a poor argument and an incorrect assessment of things at worst. Hardly critical of the NDP.

There's not even a mole hill here and you're trying to make a mountain out of it.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

and what language would that be. Nenshi is a mouthy son of a bitch. He is on his last legs as Mayor of Calgary. Calgary voters are fed up with his bullshyte.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
That's because Nenshi is an idiot. Kenney is a mouthy little troll no doubt but Nenshi is still an idiot. He's another one that believes women's rights should take a back seat to some stone age belief system.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That's because Nenshi is an idiot. Kenney is a mouthy little troll no doubt but Nenshi is still an idiot. He's another one that believes women's rights should take a back seat to some stone age belief system.

Actually I just watched Nenshi on the C.B.C. news an hour ago. The man actually impressed me - appeared to be very patient. I believe he stated woman's right of choice trumped the face covering. I agree with him. Only two women objected to exposing their faces for the formal part of the ceremony. Like he stated further there's a dozen election issues that are far more important. Quite a reasonable man, I think!

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Actually I just watched Nenshi on the C.B.C. news an hour ago. The man actually impressed me - appeared to be very patient. I believe he stated woman's right of choice trumped the face covering.
Which is very clever of him to say because the women from the Middle East that wear them don't really have a choice.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I saw no criticism in the entire article, except from the article publisher. Seems like just another effort to stir up hatred to me (not that the Cons are a bunch of angels and saints).

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Seriously? It sounds to me like they're saying the NDP may have an easier time connecting with the Chinese community because of "familial" ties. As opposed to the Conservatives who had "to work at it".
It's a poor argument and an incorrect assessment of things at worst. Hardly critical of the NDP.

The context of the argument is to contrast them with the 'genuine' Conservative approach, so the implication is that the NDP approach is not genuine or pandering through identity politics.

Show your supporting argument for the premise about women's rights taking a backseat based on Nenshi's position.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The straw-grasping is strong with this one.

That is a symptom of the tremendous amount of butt hurt he feels

and what language would that be. Nenshi is a mouthy son of a bitch. He is on his last legs as Mayor of Calgary. Calgary voters are fed up with his bullshyte.

nenshi's big mouth has already landed him in court with a developer in Calgary... I'm hoping that the Courts shut his mouth for him

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
One marries their women. One sells out (betrays - for those nit-picky little snipes among us who'll interpret the word into their denigration) Canadian workers to them. Difference?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Clearly it's because they're commies, right?

We Translated a Mandarin-Only Conservative Statement and It Criticized the NDP for Marrying Chinese Women

Over the course of the election campaign, there's been lots of accusations of politicians saying one thing in English and another in French.

We Translated a Mandarin-Only Conservative Statement and It Criticized the NDP for Marrying Chinese Women | VICE | Canada

How f**king childish can it get?

The context of the argument is to contrast them with the 'genuine' Conservative approach, so the implication is that the NDP approach is not genuine or pandering through identity politics.

Show your supporting argument for the premise about women's rights taking a backseat based on Nenshi's position.

Sh*t like this is just a sure sign of a weak mind- not that there's any shortage of them here! :) :)